Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Clutch + Flywheel for minimal chatter?

I am currently running around 400 awhp, and the current clutch and flywheel setup (stock) is slipping. I have heard that the DMFWs have the risk of catastrophic failure under higher power. I have no need for a faster revving engine with a lightweight flywheel, but I do need a stronger clutch.

If I plan on capping my power at 450-500awhp, could I keep the DMFW and use a Spec Stage 2+ clutch, or are there single mass flywheels out there that have minimal chatter?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just installed the Spec Stage 2+ with Spec Steel SMFW and believe this is breaking in real nice. The chatter has dramatically improved (decreased) in the last few days. The overall feeling of this clutch is improving by the day. The clutch is engaging very similar to stock, getting closer to stock with every shift. Have noticed that the engagement is much quicker, yet just as smooth. Clutch is catching nice and would imagine it can only get better.

I have been driving back and forth in my driveway everyday for a few minutes each day. The clutch roughness and pedal vibrations are subsiding and I'm getting quite happy with every drive. Today, I took the car a little more aggressive than what I did on mile 1 - 15 of the clutch install and the clutch is locking up tight...no slip, no smell...just holding with a little boost. Going to keep slowly breaking in this clutch!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ferruccio Click here to enlarge
    If I plan on capping my power at 450-500awhp, could I keep the DMFW and use a Spec Stage 2+ clutch, or are there single mass flywheels out there that have minimal chatter?
    If it bothers you and the single mass has reduced chatter why not just get it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Spec has a steel SMFW that is a few pounds lighter than OE, about $500 and mates up nicely to their PP and Clutch Plate.

I have minimal chatter after about 50 miles.

The RPM's tach up quicker than stock and feels nice!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E36graduate Click here to enlarge
    Spec has a steel SMFW that is a few pounds lighter than OE, about $500 and mates up nicely to their PP and Clutch Plate.

I have minimal chatter after about 50 miles.

The RPM's tach up quicker than stock and feels nice!
    Well there you go...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

does the chatter on alu smfw always appear when clutch is disengaged or at certain neutral rpm values?!

Is it possible to let the chatter disappear from set up neutral rpm - using INPA - from 600 to lets say 900 rpm?!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It really depends on how much chatter and roughness I can tolerate. If there is an inherent sacrifice with single mass flywheels, through roughness and chattering beyond what I can live with, then I'd rather just get a replacement dual mass flywheel.

However, I heard two things. One is a risk of exploding under those loads, and another is something about "spark scatter" which I do not understand. Something to do with the crank position sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a clutch and flywheel! It ain't a smooth system if you want a performance clutch that is perfect. Stay tuned as I will be pushing 100 miles when I return from Charlotte and pick my car up at airport!

I can't wait to drive the new stage 2+ clutch with SMFW (non sac)!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Been a few hundred miles and the clutch gets better after every drive! Actually returned from Atlanta and took my car up to Boston for a show and got a lot of clutch use in the city. I put about 7 gallons of E85 and filled her up.

So far the flywheel will chatter a little when in neutral with clutch pedal out. Clutch hasn't slipped yet and feels real good. I would buy this product again as long as I get a lot of miles out of her.

I have to tach up the car to slip in the clutch without causing to much jerking and chattering. Sounds mean!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I would just go with the stock DMFW. There aren't any scientific tests, that I've seen, that quantify "reving-up faster" in terms of acceleration or response. Some gains are surely there (aren't there?), but I have seen it posted, anywhere.

I had ACT with DMFW, lasted 6k miles with 480wtq. Just put in Spec 2+ with DMFW. Zero chatter from day one, pedal feel and engagement point are perfect.
    700 and change

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I've been running the spec 3+ with the steel flywheel since last Friday. Still going through brake-in, done about 150miles but since the beginning it behaved really nice with smooth engagement..there's definitely chatter but not terrible at all like I had with my 16lb aluminum single mass from clutchmasters...i'd never go back to an even lighter single mass than this one...i'm heavily anti chatter...we'll see post brake-in how the situation sits with some hard driving

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I've been running the spec 3+ with the steel flywheel since last Friday. Still going through brake-in, done about 150miles but since the beginning it behaved really nice with smooth engagement..there's definitely chatter but not terrible at all like I had with my 16lb aluminum single mass from clutchmasters...i'd never go back to an even lighter single mass than this one...i'm heavily anti chatter...we'll see post brake-in how the situation sits with some hard driving
    Let us know how it goes Dzenno. I'm definitely interested in this combo - in particular after receiving a quote from a German tuner for a steel SMFW for 1500 EUR (around 2000 USD)...

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

Keep us updated
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    Let us know how it goes Dzenno. I'm definitely interested in this combo - in particular after receiving a quote from a German tuner for a steel SMFW for 1500 EUR (around 2000 USD)...

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Keep us updated
    Can't wait to give it a beating Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About 10 months (about 10k miles) on the new spec 2+ and SMFW and is operating well. No slipping, just grabs and go!

Chatter at idle is obvious. I kind of like the noise, its rough and tough. Engagement is not smooth and requires the right rpm's and clutch feathering to get it smoother. In a nut shell, you have to get the rpm's going, which makes the car sound meaner, to get the clutch to engage smoothly.

My biggest gripe is down shift engaging. I've become pretty good at rev matching and down shifting to keep the engagement less rough. Sometimes, when lazy, I dont rev match on downshifting (from a slow roll from 3rd to 2nd) and the engagement is quite abrupt. It is fun to rev match though.

Probably a DMFW would have been a better option for me, but I can live with the SMFW and the rough engagements.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I elected to go with the dmfw and SPEC 3+ combo. Still doing the initial break in before I put stage 2 turbos in. Engagement is slightly higher than stock, no chatter, and the engagement is more direct. The shuddering is definitely smoothing out, as I continue to rack up the mileage. Will definitely report back once everything is together with regards to possible misfiring and longevity.