Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    1,814
    Rep Points
    1,066.8
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Paid north of $900 two times cause it performs for me. Drop in the bucket compared $1,000+ a month a car cost to own.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ihc95 Click here to enlarge
    Also Helix offers the cold-side piping for an extra ~$50.
    Hmmmmm -- Might have to change this since I still have the OEM one, not a huge deal tho


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Would would buy a FMIC for $1xxx+ when you can buy a big tom for $400.. Click here to enlarge
    Someone that doesn't want to chop up their car (future trade in/sale) and would prefer a direct swap and/or someone who's not mechanically inclined. I'm very happy with my Helix Stepped IC and the performance I'm getting from it (great IAT suppression), especially since I don't have to worry about pressure drops as a non-meth user.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Would would buy a FMIC for $1xxx+ when you can buy a big tom for $400.. Click here to enlarge
    Big Tom FMIC (KL Racing or CX Racing) simply can't compare in the IAT control department to Helix or any other high quality core..Big Tom is a decent FMIC, it works, but let's not stretch that too far.

    I also currently run the Big Tom as i don't depend on it for IAT control (I run meth). I got it for its 3" in/out and just something different to try running and see how it compares (blame it mostly on my never ending tinkering). If I didn't run meth I definitely would get myself the best FMIC money can buy (as I did with the Helix back in the day).

    In terms of price, the Cobb and the Helix are priced pretty close when you add the cold side pipe to the Helix. In terms of how well they stack up to each other we'll have one on Jake's car soon and a couple other people local to Jake so we'll see. I suspect it doing very well.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-16-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    1,814
    Rep Points
    1,066.8
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Not sure if you meant to quote me, but I run Helix for that exact reason, rock solid IATs without meth. I wont run meth, so I need something that will keep my temps below levels that will cause the ecu from pulling power.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Not sure if you meant to quote me, but I run Helix for that exact reason, rock solid IATs without meth. I wont run meth, so I need something that will keep my temps below levels that will cause the ecu from pulling power.
    Fixed Click here to enlarge thanks for pointing that out
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Points
    2,142.1
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hmm.. I guess im not sure the difference between the Big Tom and the Helix unit (without meth) considering i run meth.

    Could you do a side by side?




  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Plenty of logs out there in all sorts of ambients..
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Points
    2,142.1
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Plenty of logs out there in all sorts of ambients..
    Yeah but usually they are always trying to prove how good they are and now actually a side by side comparison. But ok




  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    855
    Rep Points
    188.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. Cobb went the route of a stepped Fmic like helix.
    looks like a better end tank design than helix

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    hmm.. I guess im not sure the difference between the Big Tom and the Helix unit (without meth) considering i run meth.

    Could you do a side by side?
    If you're running meth, avoid the Helix because the stepped IC design has greater pressure drops than a "traditional" designed FMIC (pressure drops + meth are no good together). You'd be better off with the AMS, AA Sport, Evolution Racewerks or HPF FMIC since they all have the curved tank ends (better airflow). If you're really desperate for FMIC Data Comparisons, there's prob some on here + N54Tech, and older E90Post
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Points
    2,142.1
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    If you're running meth, avoid the Helix because the stepped IC design has greater pressure drops than a "traditional" designed FMIC (pressure drops + meth are no good together). You'd be better off with the AMS, AA Sport, Evolution Racewerks or HPF FMIC since they all have the curved tank ends (better airflow). If you're really desperate for FMIC Data Comparisons, there's prob some on here + N54Tech, and older E90Post
    Im running a big tom.

    I was more looking for data that showed the big tom doesn't cool as well as other, side by side.

    When side by side comparisons are done, there usually is less bias.




  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Im running a big tom.
    Okay, so what are you asking for?? Click here to enlarge The Big Tom basically is a less expensive, non-vendor traditional style FMIC. It's not effective at IAT suppression (by itself) as the Helix FMIC
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Points
    2,142.1
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, so what are you asking for?? Click here to enlarge The Big Tom basically is a less expensive, non-vendor traditional style FMIC. It's not effective at IAT suppression (by itself) as the Helix FMIC
    Ok and dzenno said he ran both so i was asking if he did a side by side and he said no




  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Ok and dzenno said he ran both so i was asking if he did a side by side and he said no
    I don't have back to back on the same car to prove this but I can tell you that there's very few FMICs out there that control IATs as well as a Helix on this platform from what I've seen so far. I have nothing to gain here and I've always said this and highlighted it when I got my Big Tom FMIC back this time last year
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    One thing one should think of is resell value, a $900 FMIC from a well known brand is an easy sell at $450 (I got slightly more than 50%) selling my mods.

    I have been reading several 911 turbo threads, one cool thing with the 911 turbo is the fact that you have two IC's. I seen at least one guy logging (with extra temp sensors) his stock IC against different upgrade options. He said he sent several expensive IC's back to the vendors since he could prove they didnt even outperform his stock IC's.

    Conclusion seems to be that for stock or hybrid turbos (reasonable sizes) the GT2RS IC's (you get two for under $1000) provides enough flow for stock frame turbos and superior IAT suppression compared to twice the price aftermarket options.

    BUT for GTxxxx upgraded turbos one need more flow than the OEM GT2RS IC's can provide and you are looking at almost $5000 for the top choice among IC's.

    So unless we get flow bench data from all FMIC's and someone takes the effort to actually test them back-to-back and log temp before/after we just dont know. And since Dzenno has sold out (jk) who in the N54 tuning scene will do this research? (seriously impressed with the time and effort D spent on crank case ventilation etc etc)

    edit: always forget that D has a new screen name @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    So unless we get flow bench data from all FMIC's and someone takes the effort to actually test them back-to-back and log temp before/after we just dont know. And since Dzenno has sold out (jk) who in the N54 tuning scene will do this research? (seriously impressed with the time and effort D spent on crank case ventilation etc etc)
    It's way too far along in this platform's (the E9x N54/N55s) development to bother comparing and arguing with vendors about their respective FMIC's effectiveness & if it's performance can justify the performance. This is DEF something to consider & push for with the F3x 335s and even more so with the M3 (when inevitably air/water IC upgrades his the market; assuming the F3x M3 follows the N/S63 and utilizes an air/water IC setup).

    The problem is we're 6+ years deep in N54 development and aftermarket components and we'll be lucky if this "test & justify the cost" process works with future mods like an E85 fueling system upgrade.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    It's way too far along in this platform's (the E9x N54/N55s) development to bother comparing and arguing with vendors about their respective FMIC's effectiveness & if it's performance can justify the performance. This is DEF something to consider & push for with the F3x 335s and even more so with the M3 (when inevitably air/water IC upgrades his the market; assuming the F3x M3 follows the N/S63 and utilizes an air/water IC setup).

    The problem is we're 6+ years deep in N54 development and aftermarket components and we'll be lucky if this "test & justify the cost" process works with future mods like an E85 fueling system upgrade.
    I assume one might have different requirements for a N54 FMIC depending on which turbos you are running... it doesent make sense that a Vargas Stage 3 car and a tune only stock turbo car has the same FMIC needs
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, so what are you asking for?? Click here to enlarge The Big Tom basically is a less expensive, non-vendor traditional style FMIC. It's not effective at IAT suppression (by itself) as the Helix FMIC
    I too would like proper comparisons, as someone who wants absolute 100% the best FMIC he can get running E85 at high boost.

    however, if it's a $600 odd price difference, it does have to be a MEANINGFUL performance increase.. a couple of percent? ehhhhhhh

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,452
    Rep Points
    1,751.1
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    $5000 for an intercooler? wtf...

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    404
    Rep Points
    758.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    $5000 for an intercooler? wtf...
    Uh... no. The Cobb tuning ic is listed as $950 on PTF's website.

    Neil

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    I assume one might have different requirements for a N54 FMIC depending on which turbos you are running... it doesent make sense that a Vargas Stage 3 car and a tune only stock turbo car has the same FMIC needs
    Why not? The FMIC's ability to reduce IATs isn't affected by the turbocharger on the car, it's greatest "variable" are the ambiant temps. The biggest you're going to fit on a 135/335 is a 7" IC and if that's somehow not enough core, then you're gonna be relying on meth to reduce IATs & fight off heatsoak. You were talking about P-cars (another air/air system) and you've got people who use the Forge or Switzer cores on their moderate upgraded stock turbo setups, and then you've got people using GT35Rs and higher pushing 1.5k+ WHP on the same ICs.

    As long as it's a quality build from the start & has great efficiency with IAT suppression, it'll be able to work for anything from Stock Snails, the Single Turbos or Vargas Stage 3s.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I too would like proper comparisons, as someone who wants absolute 100% the best FMIC he can get running E85 at high boost.

    however, if it's a $600 odd price difference, it does have to be a MEANINGFUL performance increase.. a couple of percent? ehhhhhhh
    E85 is going to burn cooler to begin with. And as I already mentioned, they're are plenty of user conducted "studies" that have data on their ICs performance. Honestly you can just google "_____ Intercooler Data" and get results: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295153

    OR you can just contact the vendor and ask for data, if they're interested in making a sale + stand behind their product, you should get plenty of data supporting their claims.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •