Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DME Swap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

DME Swap

Has anyone outlined the exact differences between a 335i and is? I know there are radiator and cooling upgrades, but what about the DME? Is there a way to remarry a DME with a new VIN?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Everything but the obvious (additional cooling, suspension, the slightly more aggressive tune w/ overboost and DCT) are the same on the E92 335i and 335is. If you were to fry your DME, you'd need to buy (or find) a new one and have a dealer (re)program it to the car.

I'd confirm with enrita since he's actually having his engine replaced, but I believe he's still using his original DME (same VIN, but new motor).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

As far as I know from the coding Forums its not possible to put a already coded DME into another car.

335is seems to have only MSD81 because of production date.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    As far as I know from the coding Forums its not possible to put a already coded DME into another car.

335is seems to have only MSD81 because of production date.
    I've read the VIN is 'burned' into the DME... There has gotta be a way to overcome this, even if the VIN was burned in. We need to be able to delete the checks, NOP NOP NOP
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I'm reading that something to do with the EWS4 is where the VIN is at and can't be done programatically. So...
    What does this video say?

And this?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

pretty sure the first 2 are how to code the Key and steal cars.

3rd video = idk
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

EWS = Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre = electronicvehicle immobilizer

so nothing to do with coding DME
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    EWS = Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre = electronicvehicle immobilizerso nothing to do with coding DME
    Hmm I read somewhere it was a preventative factor. Whereexactly is the VIN or the logic to check the VIN?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

http://www.obd2toolbox.com/car-key-m...d-token.htmlIt appears that the VIN is stored in the dme and checked by the ews to see if the components match with eachother to know if parts are stolen.Thus device says it can reprogram and sync the ews. There has got to be a way using just a pc to hack the keys and put the right stuff in there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

i got a new DME , the MSD81 now and you need to recode it by supplying your VIN by the dealer upon ordering . Than recode all modules . Engine has nothing to do with DME swap.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i got a new DME , the MSD81 now and you need to recode it by supplying your VIN by the dealer upon ordering . Than recode all modules . Engine has nothing to do with DME swap.
    +1. i had to do a DME swap a while back (not to the 'is' or anything, think there's a thread buried somewhere here of it) because mine fried due to short circuiting (oil in spark well, short traveled through coil to DME). This is something the dealer has to do afaik. You can try it yourself klispe but it may not turn out for the best or may just turn out to be more work than anticipated. What is the problem with going to the dealer (trust me, i hate the stealership too) in this case? I means lets say you were able to swap the VIN on the ews, could you recode everything else, ie: finish up and have it run without fault?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

If you reflash your DME with the IS software, Your VIN may persist in the DME memory through the flash depending on the details of how exactly it is stored. I would think worst case you would need to update the newly reprogrammed DME with your VIN before the car would start. Because of the sensitive nature of storing the VIN in the DME and the implications for stealing cars, it is probably done in a very special way, but I doubt if it is truly permanent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    What is the problem with going to the dealer (trust me, i hate the stealership too) in this case? I means lets say you were able to swap the VIN on the ews, could you recode everything else, ie: finish up and have it run without fault?
    The dealer is incapable of changing the VIN I suspect. I think this is the reason that they require it when ordering it. The PPK requires your vin and they order it from germany I think as well. If they were capable of recoding a VIN, I don't think they would do it for theft reasons.

So If I walk into the dealership with a VIN coded to the rest of my car, perhaps they would be more likely to recode it. The actual goal here is to just get a dct TCM and DME that are already married together and do a swap. At what level these two units are married I'm still figuring out exactly. Flashing the 335is firmware over won't be enough I suspect, anyone with details on this is much appreciated. I've sourced a lot of these parts on the cheap cheap and are not hard to find online for cheap as well. Just an Idea that I've been tossing around, and is more for fun than anything. If anyone knows my past endeavors, I like to do things the hard way. Once the car is finished, then its just a car, no fun!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    If you reflash your DME with the IS software, Your VIN may persist in the DME memory through the flash depending on the details of how exactly it is stored. I would think worst case you would need to update the newly reprogrammed DME with your VIN before the car would start. Because of the sensitive nature of storing the VIN in the DME and the implications for stealing cars, it is probably done in a very special way, but I doubt if it is truly permanent.
    For them to permanantly store this information wouldn't really be permanant. The could use a blowable fuse inside of a chip somewhere to store the data once, kind of like the xbox 360 does. Once a major update occurs on the 360, it blows an internal fuse and you can't go backwards in firmware and there are only a preset number of fuses that can be blown.

Regardless, you could desolder and replace this chip, wouldn't be that simple but there is always a way.

The other permanant option would be to use a ROM that can't be written to, but this would require manual insertion of the VIN and ROM chip upon assembly of the DME which likely isn't feasible and not wise to do on BMW's part. The BMW VINS have always been re-programmable in the past generations.

My friend works has access to a GT1 or similar at the dealership. He's not really knowledgable about it so I'm trying to at least get as much of it done as recoding the rest of the modules should be more common practice.

In the past, the 'recoding' the other devices many times was dealing with the rolling codes that change each time the car turned off. Kind of like a key fob. Once reset, then things would go as normal and wasn't really VIN related, just married to a specific dme in the sense that they both were vin and started at the same time.

Trying to understand exactly how the EWS/CAS communicate with the DME and how the VIN plays a role here is my research at the moment.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

This video shows how CAS has knowledge of the VIN and actually appears programs it to the Key.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This video shows how CAS has knowledge of the VIN and actually appears programs it to the Key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPBLDc0XAYc
    I would be surprised if there were actually an e-fuse in the box. Likely the $#@! is burned to the eeprom and the software the dealership uses doesnt let them modify it after it's there.

To really figure it out you need to clip onto the eeprom chip directly, dump its contents, and then write whatever you want back directly.

http://www.makinterface.de/index_e.php3 <- one of these might help.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    I would be surprised if there were actually an e-fuse in the box. Likely the $#@! is burned to the eeprom and the software the dealership uses doesnt let them modify it after it's there.

To really figure it out you need to clip onto the eeprom chip directly, dump its contents, and then write whatever you want back directly.

http://www.makinterface.de/index_e.php3 <- one of these might help.
    I'm betting this is the case as well or something like this.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

This isn't off topic, but why did you ask the question in the 1st place?? Are you looking to DCT swap or something into a non-IS 335?

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This isn't off topic, but why did you ask the question in the 1st place?? Are you looking to DCT swap or something into a non-IS 335?
    Thats part of the reason. Also having access to a hot swappable DME is the other. There may be an easier way to do this, but with the inability to reprogram the TCU at the moment, that puts me up against a wall.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

I want the "IS" 2d fuel scalar mapping. $#@!es.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if you could use the Overboost button to spray n20 or enable a map with meth.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't the 1M have the same feature? Not that taking the DME from that is any easier

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Mostly on topic:

where can i find out exactly how tightly each module is locked?

i know you need the dme, cas, and key fob to all vin-match for immobilisation.. But what about all the other modules? Are ALL the modules totally vin-locked or can some be fully re-coded in case of a whole new DME?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I had an MSD80 and was replaced with MSD81 by the dealer. They did have to program it with your VIN. That's as much info as they gave me.
    Click here to enlarge
    Engine: MOTIV 750 / MOTIV Port Injection / Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP / Helix FMIC / ER CP + TiaL BOV
    Tuning: JB4 / MHD BMS Backend / Split Second AIC1-V6H
    Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 / Full M3 Suspension / Quaife LSD / Defiv Lockdown / Megan Toe Arms
    Wheels/Tires: Forgestar F14 19x8.5F +34 / 19x10R +38 / Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Mostly on topic:

where can i find out exactly how tightly each module is locked?

i know you need the dme, cas, and key fob to all vin-match for immobilisation.. But what about all the other modules? Are ALL the modules totally vin-locked or can some be fully re-coded in case of a whole new DME?
    If you have a completely new DME there is no need do code other modules than the DME.

A new virgin DME comes with no VIN or other crab coded every stealership is able to code a new one.

As far as I know a used DME cannot be coded with standard BMW dealer tools. I think even with ISTA/P its not possible.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast