Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Is anyone interested in some turbo inlet pipes? Stock/Upgraded Stock

A feat that has been attempted many times before. I'm trying to gauge interest on a set of turbo inlet pipes. I have a them on my car (still waiting flywheel) @rick@defiv made, they use two equal length inlet runners to a y pipe (prevents one turbo from fighting the other) with a filter positioned in the lower passenger-side brake-duct air vent.

This is basically the 'ideal' for cold air induction.

To install you have to remove a lot of stuff, you have to shuffle things around, it's a tight fit down there.

After looking at the intake system Rick identified a few weak points, the inlet pipe at the turbo inlet has a restriction that is -smaller- than the diameter of the turbo inlet. That had to go. The pancake piping, sharp bends all had to hit the trash as well.

Advantages:
    Short, equal length runners w/ gradual bends.
    Cold Air.
    Thermal Coating.
    No restrictions all the way into the turbos.

I'm on stock turbos, I still expect to see some significant gains from this intake. You would imagine that upgraded turbos who are starved for air with the stock pipes will see an even better result.

These tubes are done, they're on my car. I haven't had it on the dyno as I'm still waiting for the 6-bolt clutchmasters to arrive.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds interesting. Pictures? Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Sounds interesting. Pictures? Click here to enlarge
    Of course! (these are prototype pictures bros)

(That forge DV is a pre-FMIC DV setup he did. Optional of course.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dynos, it'll be great to see how much power can be gained just on stock snails with better airflow
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Dynos, it'll be great to see how much power can be gained just on stock snails with better airflow
    Subscribe for Dynos. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any pics of these before they were installed so we can actually see the full piping?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also how did you made room I thought the oil cooler took up most of the space in that area.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The oil cooler is on the other side. Prototyping finished up on car so they haven't been removed, just interested in seeing if there's enough interest in the idea.

** sorry that's incorrect. No the oil cooler doesn't interfere with the piping or filter.
    Last edited by uniter; 02-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Best way to see their effectiveness:

1) Tap the stock intake pipe post filter and install a differential vacuum gauge
    2) Run the car at Xpsi and get some readings off the vacuum gauge
    3) If you see more than about 10" of vacuum being pulled at the intake pipe you'll have gains going with larger ID piping or a better filter. This obviously assumes the filter isn't the one that's imposing the restriction.

I've been trying to get this done since forever but there's always something that gets in the way of it Click here to enlarge if you can get some of this data gathered we'll know their effectiveness without a dyno
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm interested, but have a large Setrab oil cooler on the passenger side and an auxilliary radiator on the drivers side. Fear that I wouldn't be able to fit the filter.

Neil
    2011 1M

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My stock intake pipes are in the garbage Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

1) Tap the stock intake pipe post filter and install a differential vacuum gauge
    3) If you see more than about 10" of vacuum being pulled at the intake pipe you'll have gains going with larger ID piping or a better filter. This obviously assumes the filter isn't the one that's imposing the restriction.

I've been trying to get this done since forever but there's always something that gets in the way of it Click here to enlarge if you can get some of this data gathered we'll know their effectiveness without a dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and just to confirm you have a before dyno run so we can clearly see run before and after with just this mod?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    and just to confirm you have a before dyno run so we can clearly see run before and after with just this mod?
    Didn't go into it expecting to make a product, I have a before dyno but that was from a while ago (4 months old; re-tuned, intake, clutch etc different) in hotter weather. I don't think the community would accept it for a performance delta.

For a real delta rick would have to have another car come out to get fitted with pipes with pre and post measures taken.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any more details on the bend at the rear turbo? It is extremely tight there and it seems that the radius would be even tighter here. I am really interested in small mushroom or cone filters at the turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

It was honestly one of the most difficult things I've done in awhile. It would need to be replicated in silicone to be installed for those without a taste for self abuse.Click here to enlarge Anyhow,yes I have every intention of putting a vacuum gauge post filter. Filter size isn't ideal for RB's and the like due to space requirements atm, but I'm looking into something "formable"(a Uni filter with formable caging of similar) to maximize surface area for upgraded twins. I think it's pretty close for use with those little pea-shooters that are on there. Tubing diameter is 1.750" off the turbos and then steps up to 2",which Y's into a 3". Brake duct is modified to collect a cold air source. I think It will provide the most gains at high speed, with the cool air charge being much more directed. We shall see!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sucking in water during a down pour would be scary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Before/after is necessary...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r45t4335i Click here to enlarge
    sucking in water during a down pour would be scary.
    This is true for most CAI, right? Just dont drice into a deep puddle of water Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    in for results !.. i'm trashing my stock stuff so #'s will be great before i totally do Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hey cool. i'm also in for results. i also believe the gain will be noticed at higher speed (air) versus a stock intake system. once a true delta can be established (thanks uniter for being honest) this product will gain much more interest. locals to rick should get the ball rolling. unfortunately, i'm in the same boat as neil, i have the upgraded setrab oil cooler in the passenger duct.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    hey cool. i'm also in for results. i also believe the gain will be noticed at higher speed (air) versus a stock intake system. once a true delta can be established (thanks uniter for being honest) this product will gain much more interest. locals to rick should get the ball rolling. unfortunately, i'm in the same boat as neil, i have the upgraded setrab oil cooler in the passenger duct.
    Click here to enlarge There are a few people who came out Rick's way for the Defiv lockdown. Basically once my car is running we'll be doing some logging to see how it's doing, how the turbos are operating now. If the logs look better than my last tuning logs then we'll know that we've got something to go on.

So I do have valid and recent procede logs, but i don't have dynos. I can re-create the same logs on the same tune on the same stretch of mexico and see if we can get any useful information out of them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm interested!
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got a pic of the filter placement?
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Tubing dimensions sound good even for upgraded turbos. Anyway you can build taking the OEM path though? With this design I too am concerned about the rear turbo tight radius feed with the heat on another yet smaller scale. For the most part these should unleash a more efficient less strained turbo and shaft assembly, allowing for more airflow potential (likely very large amount on upgraded turbos). I really don't see much gains happening comparing lower boost to the same boost on newer pipes. More so the increases will be more potential in the turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Tubing dimensions sound good even for upgraded turbos. Anyway you can build taking the OEM path though? With this design I too am concerned about the rear turbo tight radius feed with the heat on another yet smaller scale. For the most part these should unleash a more efficient less strained turbo and shaft assembly, allowing for more airflow potential (likely very large amount on upgraded turbos). I really don't see much gains happening comparing lower boost to the same boost on newer pipes. More so the increases will be more potential in the turbos.
    Well you can take the OEM path if you want to build another pancake pipe Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast