Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Meyle HD/OEM Inner Outer Tie-Rod DIY

Meyle Hd Tie-Rods can be ordered here:

http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-Z4-HD...Rod-E8x-9x.htm

Note: Not responsible for any damage to you or your car, this worked on my car so will work on yours.

***This tutorial assumes you know how to get your car secured on jack stands, if in doubt do NOT attempt this DIY!

Tools Need not in pic (2 jacks if possible, (1) for a safety catch in case jack stand fail (I saw this happen and will NEVER forget it)....safety 1st).

Torque specs:

Tie-rod to knuckle 122 ftlb (165 Nm)
    Inner Tie-rod to steering rack 100 ftlb (135.6 Nm)

Suggestions:

Alignment is 100% neccessary, no ifs about it! your car will ride like a POS afterwards.
    I suggest coating all bolts with bolt penatrating formula, applying anti-seize to all bolts

Tools needed:

Click here to enlarge

Step 1:

Click here to enlarge

Step 2 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 3 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 4 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 5 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 6 :

Click here to enlarge

Comparison of OEM Vs Meyle:

Click here to enlarge

Step 7 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 8 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 9 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 10 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 11 :

Click here to enlarge

Step 12 :

Click here to enlarge

Installed!!

Click here to enlarge

Impressions:

Noticed a improvment right off the bat, steering is much more crisp, no more vibrations and you feel a lot more in control...for $154.00 this is a no brainer.

Alignment specs

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Another fantastic DIY that is easy to follow and well laid out, thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Another fantastic DIY that is easy to follow and well laid out, thank you.
    I greatly appreciate that, Havev lots more on the way!
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're suppose to keep the steering rack turned to the opposite side your working on to prevent damage to the rack.

Great DIY guide though!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e90n52b30 Click here to enlarge
    You're suppose to keep the steering rack turned to the opposite side your working on to prevent damage to the rack.

Great DIY guide though!
    Yep, it was LOL! Really cant tighten the bolt on tie rod if it isnt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    Yep, it was LOL! Really cant tighten the bolt on tie rod if it isnt.
    Ahh ok. It looked like in step 6, the rack was turned out. Just wanted to mention for others.

Love your guides btw. I'll be tackling the subframe bushings and replacing them with M bushings soon
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Shiiiiiiiiiiit. Just replaced mine a couple months ago and didn't even really think to get anything other than oem again. These look beefier than stock, so pissed. Good write up tho!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 Click here to enlarge
    Shiiiiiiiiiiit. Just replaced mine a couple months ago and didn't even really think to get anything other than oem again. These look beefier than stock, so pissed. Good write up tho!!
    They are beefier for sure!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Ahh ok. It looked like in step 6, the rack was turned out. Just wanted to mention for others.

Love your guides btw. I'll be tackling the subframe bushings and replacing them with M bushings soon
    You are right, it is not mentioned and needs to be because the pics do not show this enough...I will add that in! The M3 bushings will be much harder to press in....just letting you know, but I am sure are awesome though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    You are right, it is not mentioned and needs to be because the pics do not show this enough...I will add that in! The M3 bushings will be much harder to press in....just letting you know, but I am sure are awesome though!
    Yea I think you're right about the m bushings. I'm afraid poly will be too hard for daily driving though. I'm not sure where you are but roads here suck!! Winter just beats them up :/
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yea I think you're right about the m bushings. I'm afraid poly will be too hard for daily driving though. I'm not sure where you are but roads here suck!! Winter just beats them up :/
    hey man, these bushing feel better than OEM..I am switching my buddies M3 out to powerflex. This is with solid differential bushings and 20" rims....these things are awesome!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another great DIY. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that means to turn steering wheel in opposite side of the one you working on? Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by joro2077 Click here to enlarge
    Is that means to turn steering wheel in opposite side of the one you working on? Thanks
    Yea you turn the wheel away from the side you're working on.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great DIY thanks so much, now I have some questions, and help, I did this job in my car, I did everything in here, well almost everything, the only thing I didn't do was take out the tension on the suspension, like rise the disk with the jack, and I still have some vibration in my car even after the alignment, with this tie rod assembly my suspension is done, everything is new in the front, before the tie rod installation I have a little vibration in the pass side but nothing in the steering wheel, but now after the installation I have in the dash and in the steering whell, am thinking if the tension on the tie rod have to do anything with this, all the other arms I did install them like rising the disk up and putting the suspension up like if the car was in the ground, and didn't have any issue after the installation, so please let me know if this have to do something with my vibration, and If I just need to loose the nut from the outer tie rod end unhook the tie rod and rise the disk and put back the tie rod with the suspension simulating like if is in the ground, thanks for ur help...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like maybe a warped rotor or a bent wheel. The old bushings were absorbing the excess vibration and with the new bushings, more of the vibration is transferred to the steering rack and then ultimately, your steering wheel.

Just my opinion
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like maybe a warped rotor or a bent wheel. The old bushings were absorbing the excess vibration and with the new bushings, more of the vibration is transferred to the steering rack and then ultimately, your steering wheel.

Just my opinion
    So u think that the way I mount it was right?, that have to do nothing with the vibration then, it have to be a reason why people lift the disk while they tie the nut on arms end links and tie rod etc etc, right?, thanks for the respond man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just my opinion
    If it was the rotor, dont u think I will fell it when braking, the wheel bent I dont think so, I dont recall taking a big pole hole or something, now do u think maybe is the wheels in the front that when out of balance, or something? I havent check if one of the flat weight fall down or something, what u think, or any body alse that can do some inputs in this matter will be great, thanks again.