Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My fw looked the same
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    My fw looked the same
    Mine as well. Have pictures that the shop sent me as they did my install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Szemenyei Click here to enlarge
    Mine as well. Have pictures that the shop sent me as they did my install.
    Do you have pictures of the Friction Disc. FW and Trans Side.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a heads up, Spec is now a vendor here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just a heads up, Spec is now a vendor here.
    Nice
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I bought this setup I went with the steel flywheel because it was suppose to be a lot quieter then the aluminium setup, I recorded a bit of a sound clip and it seems like it is abnormally loud. I expected some clutch chatter but I feel like this is too much for a dd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted5 Click here to enlarge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZ5dLnUfZ4 When I bought this setup I went with the steel flywheel because it was suppose to be a lot quieter then the aluminium setup, I recorded a bit of a sound clip and it seems like it is abnormally loud. I expected some clutch chatter but I feel like this is too much for a dd.
    I have about 300 miles on the spec 2+ and the steel flywheel. I have the same rattle at times. I actually have 2 kinds of rattles. One rattle is the slight chatter I was expecting by going with the single mass that occurs while the car is in neutral and clutch not engaged, goes away once clutch is engaged. The second is the rattle you have in the video. It also occurs when stopped but does not stop when clutch is engaged. The weird thing is that it stops when I turn the AC/heat ON, which is the opposite remedy I've read for clutch chatter on our cars. Again, Im only 300 miles into the break in, going to give it a full 500 before putting any power to it. But it's been flawless thus far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    I have about 300 miles on the spec 2+ and the steel flywheel. I have the same rattle at times. I actually have 2 kinds of rattles. One rattle is the slight chatter I was expecting by going with the single mass that occurs while the car is in neutral and clutch not engaged, goes away once clutch is engaged. The second is the rattle you have in the video. It also occurs when stopped but does not stop when clutch is engaged. The weird thing is that it stops when I turn the AC/heat ON, which is the opposite remedy I've read for clutch chatter on our cars. Again, Im only 300 miles into the break in, going to give it a full 500 before putting any power to it. But it's been flawless thus far.
    This is all the time in my car while in neutral and ideling it is annoying to say the least, I've only got 35 miles on it so far I really hope this at least settles down a little bit. It goes away when I engage the clutch. Maybe this is due to this being a SAC setup as opposed to everyone else going non sac?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the non-SAC.It has gotten better with more mileage and is intermittent now usually during the first 5 minutes of warm up. I agree with you, it's excessive. Hoping someone can chime in with some encouraging words....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    35 miles? Dude... break it in. It takes 500+ miles. Are you also going to judge the way the clutch drives after 35 miles of break in? People on this platform are so damn antsy sometimes. If it still rattles at that point, then can go from there on the diagnosis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm at 430 miles and it has some rattle when in natural with my foot off the clutch and there still some chatter when taking off in first. However, that's all completely normal behavior for a performance clutch and a PP with a high clamping force. There are reasons BMW doesn't use these style clutches and FWs from the factory and those are two of the big ones.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted5 Click here to enlarge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZ5dLnUfZ4 When I bought this setup I went with the steel flywheel because it was suppose to be a lot quieter then the aluminium setup, I recorded a bit of a sound clip and it seems like it is abnormally loud. I expected some clutch chatter but I feel like this is too much for a dd.
    That's loud, but you should break it in before making any further conclusions.

Was steel supposed to be "a lot quieter than aluminum"? Where did you get that from? I've seen a couple of comments in the forum claiming this in the, but I haven't really listened the difference myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Once broken in the steel SMF is very quiet. Louder than the DMFW, but not anything that will draw attention. Most of the time I can't even hear it with windows down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have 1500mi on the steel. Varying degrees of chatter volume with AC off, but just loud with AC on. Also chatters between 1800 and 2200 rpms when accelerating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    JPSimon's Youtube video demonstrates the aluminum fw chatter, which is not too bad. Are there any steel fv chatter videos around?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    JPSimon's Youtube video demonstrates the aluminum fw chatter, which is not too bad. Are there any steel fv chatter videos around?
    Yes, his is aluminum but his clutch though is a puck style Stage 3, not Stage 3+. The puck style tends to produce more noise given design and material.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    JPSimon's Youtube video demonstrates the aluminum fw chattelonger, which is not too bad. Are there any steel fv chatter videos around?
    I'm going to try to borrow a buddies gopro tomorrow and get some videos of noises and chatter.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Disc won't matter for gear chatter... FW type and total assemply weight. Also idle smoothness, speed, and gearbox tolerances will play a role.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A puck style clutch will produce more noise than a full face on the same flywheel. Not being theoretical here. First hand experience, heard it many times. It won't be the main reason for noise but comparing a full face to a puck, the puck will have more noise in the same assembly.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are talking clutch chatter... noise at idle is gear chatter. Disc won't matter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I have 1500mi on the steel. Varying degrees of chatter volume with AC off, but just loud with AC on. Also chatters between 1800 and 2200 rpms when accelerating.
    Weird. I don't have this issue. SAC or non-SAC? Is your engagement smooth yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Weird. I don't have this issue. SAC or non-SAC? Is your engagement smooth yet?
    non-SAC. Engagement is harsh... Just have to rev higher. My 2+ is pucked on one side. Is the 3+? I understand there is a full faced 2+ also. Learned a lot about clutches through this experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    non-SAC. Engagement is harsh... Just have to rev higher. My 2+ is pucked on one side. Is the 3+? I understand there is a full faced 2+ also. Learned a lot about clutches through this experience.
    Oh you're pucked? I am using 3+ which is full faced. No experience with the pucked stuff here. I was told bad idea on the street bc of chatter and engagement issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Grabbed a couple quick vids today. ~650 miles on the clutch.

This is at idle first with AC off then with AC on and the i push in the clutch to show how much it quiets down.

Just a short drive with the windows up, there isn't much to hear in the video because there isn't much to hear in the cabin.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My car is in the shop, but I can video it when it comes back. Mine isn't nearly that loud. I have noticed that the sound changes a lot during the break in. Before I got it fully broken in sometimes it would sound like that, but then it goes away after some more wear. I am at almost 2000 miles and I still have some chatter on engagement at some RPMs. I need to take it to a drag strip or a nice open road to get that judder out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast