Close

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    i looked and my winkfp when gke215 is selected it wants to use 03gke215 not 11gke215 and it also wants to use 09flash not 10flash..

should i just rename 11gke215 to 03gke215 and 10flash to 09flash to make it happy?

Attachment 26557
    I wouldn't rename the files. They are different for a reason. What ZUSB did your car report? You can find this information in INPA, by viewing the UIF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Looking to get this installed on a friend's car. 535xi 2010, no paddles, full Level 10 rebuild. What do you guys think?
    Check the ZUSB with INPA. I know someone said before that you need the paddles, but I am not sure why. They are just switches that connect directly to the transmissions through the connector in the mechatronics sleeve. You can shift manually with the stick if you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Looking to get this installed on a friend's car. 535xi 2010, no paddles, full Level 10 rebuild. What do you guys think?
    I am afraid you need the paddles or it will not work Dzenno.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Why is that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What needs to happen to get them on the car? Is that something that could be retrofitted? Why do we think paddles are a prerequisite?

In terms of XI itself, anyone try it on the awd 6at yet?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What needs to happen to get them on the car? Is that something that could be retrofitted? Why do we think paddles are a prerequisite?

Yes, XI had it installed in the other thread, very exciting! I'll be doing this as well.

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...730#post403730

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I looked at the paddle retrofit thread on e90 and the guy just used a different steering wheel, and found two unused positions in the slip ring, then ran two wires from the slip ring to the console and tapped into the wires that attach to the switches for manually shifting the car from the gear lever. So all he did was put two additional switches into the circuit. He tapped into existing wiring in the console.

It's not like cars with paddle shifters have different transmissions.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 02-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I looked at the paddle retrofit thread on e90 and the guy just used a different steering wheel, and found two unused positions in the slip ring, then ran two wires from the slip ring to the console and tapped into the wires that attach to the switches for manually shifting the car from the gear lever. So all he did was put two additional switches into the circuit. He tapped into existing wiring in the console.

It's not like cars with paddle shifters have different transmissions.
    I'm thinking the paddles are just another means to shifting gears (triggering a shift) and it should possibly work as well for those without paddles.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After looking at some of the information in the 6hp21 reference thread, there are two different versions of the mechatronics, an E shift version and an M shift version. I'm pretty sure every 335/535 has the M shift version. The most sure fire way to tell is to look for a mechanical linkage (a cable) running from the shift lever to the transmission. The presence of this linkage indicates an M shift transmission, on which the Alpina flash should work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

When the paddles are retrofitted, like on my car, you just have to change the steering wheel buttons (to allow the cables from the paddles to connect) and then install a cable which picks up the electric signal emitted by the paddles and routes it into the steptronic gear assembly. Really basic stuff. No coding involved.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if there is a software / module difference between cars with and without paddles?
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After looking at some of the information in the 6hp21 reference thread, there are two different versions of the mechatronics, an E shift version and an M shift version. I'm pretty sure every 335/535 has the M shift version. The most sure fire way to tell is to look for a mechanical linkage (a cable) running from the shift lever to the transmission. The presence of this linkage indicates an M shift transmission, on which the Alpina flash should work.
    Yes the 6hp19/21 definitely has that M shift tranny with the "cable" going from the gear lever assembly into the mechatronic. If you search for example for "no DS mode" you'll find a few threads on various forums about this part and how the cables inside are prone to breaking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    When the paddles are retrofitted, like on my car, you just have to change the steering wheel buttons (to allow the cables from the paddles to connect) and then install a cable which picks up the electric signal emitted by the paddles and routes it into the steptronic gear assembly. Really basic stuff. No coding involved.
    Do you have any pics from the retrofit or a diy? Might get him to add these on..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Yes the 6hp19/21 definitely has that M shift tranny with the "cable" going from the gear lever assembly into the mechatronic. If you search for example for "no DS mode" you'll find a few threads on various forums about this part and how the cables inside are prone to breaking.
    No, I don't mean the wires that break in the console, I mean a cable, a mechanical linkage, to actuate a valve inside the transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have any pics from the retrofit or a diy? Might get him to add these on..
    There are several vendors for retrofit kits (basically the cable you need to route the paddle signals and a parts list to specify what is needed further). It's an awesome mod and there are DIYs out there. But you have to be careful to intercept the correct signal as otherwise the gear lever assembly can get messed up, which is easily a $1000 fix at the dealer.

I have Verstrasse Extended M3 DCT paddles on my car, and it's one of my favorite mods!! If I could get the Alpina software to work with those I'de be in BMW heaven Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, I don't mean the wires that break in the console, I mean a cable, a mechanical linkage, to actuate a valve inside the transmission.
    Yes that's what I meant too Click here to enlarge I have one of these parts lying around at home. A steel "cable".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    btw here's a pdf on how to replace the mechatronic:

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The Alpina B3 was designed to use the paddle shifter. If you flash the car it would throw error codes and the cluster would light up like a Christmas tree. I don't know at This point if you can code out the VO for paddle shifters and it will work. Someone needs to try this out. My brain is fried out!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The Alpina B3 was designed to use the paddle shifter. If you flash the car it would throw error codes and the cluster would light up like a Christmas tree. I don't know at This point if you can code out the VO for paddle shifters and it will work. Someone needs to try this out. My brain is fried out!
    It will throw errors if there is indeed a software difference between paddles/no paddles cars. But that's not sure or is it? Could be that the signals from the paddles are just wired into the tranny assembly. The paddles simply do the same thing as the gear lever in manual mode: emit a signal when pushed which implies a gear change.

There is no "need" to send the signal from the pedals to some kind of control module first which then sends it to the tranny assembly. So chances are there is no such module or software.

Just one way to find out I guess...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Trying it would definitely prove whether it is possible or not. There is a lot of inconsistency in the documentations I am reading about cables or not, switches and manual shifts. We should just try it and see what happens. You can always flash it back to stock if you need to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SOL, you need paddles to use this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are we saying that you need paddles because the Alpina car had paddles? It has been proven that you can put paddles on any car and they work fine, so what makes a car with paddles from the factory special?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Flash it, just make sure you note what is currently installed on the car so if you need to flash it back you can. Not like it's a one flash deal. Most cars so far have 60+ flashes left before you burn up the prom.

Good luck man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are we saying that you need paddles because the Alpina car had paddles? It has been proven that you can put paddles on any car and they work fine, so what makes a car with paddles from the factory special?
    It has to do something with the VO....I think what needs to be done is to add the the VO for paddle shifters with NCSexpert, then code the flash in. Once thats done see what happens...WIthout adding the VO (Vehicle order) and flashing it would definitely error out! I think you need to add this to VO for paddle shifters. $2TB Then code it to CAS and NFRM

THen after doing this do the flash! I would think when programming it also checks out the VO of the car when it does the final stage of coding which encodes the KOMBI unit to display the new Shift indicators and it would check VO then...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It has to do something with the VO....I think what needs to be done is to add the the VO for paddle shifters with NCSexpert, then code the flash in. Once thats done see what happens...WIthout adding the VO (Vehicle order) and flashing it would definitely error out! I think you need to add this to VO for paddle shifters. $2TB Then code it to CAS and NFRM

THen after doing this do the flash! I would think when programming it also checks out the VO of the car when it does the final stage of coding which encodes the KOMBI unit to display the new Shift indicators and it would check VO then...
    OK, the VO, now we are getting somewhere. That does make sense considering the sport steering wheel with paddle shifters was an option.

If you don't have the paddle shifters, and select manual mode, does the gear indicator not display on the KOMBI?

I still don't think physically having the paddle shifters or not is going to make or break this upgrade. They are just switches and the transmission wouldn't know the difference between having them and never pressing them and not having them at all. The VO problem, if it exists, can be taken care of with software.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast