Close

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sikh335 Click here to enlarge
    That's exactly what I did they listed the older part number. When I asked if they still build those Trans or can order them they said yes. I also asked if he thought it was interchangeable with the newer part number he said no. I think it is its just a DME flash issue. I'm thinking the TCU is updated with new software that is compatible with all of the newer build DME updates and software. If that's the case I need to flash with a new build Vin and should work. I can't find any other reason it would not work.
    The transmission is just a hunk of metal, apply fluid pressure in the right place, and the gears engage. The problem with swapping a post 03/07 Mechatronics or entire transmission into a car with a pre 03/07 build date will come down to computer programming. Hopefully you can just write the Aplina file, change the VIN and call it a day. Time will tell.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 02-19-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: fucking autocorrect

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice. You have logs Dzenno. That's some awesome news.
    Last edited by Cn555ic; 02-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @benzy89 Click here to enlarge his car would previously have no timing going wot in 5th..now after the alpina flash BAM full timing and no torque limit intervention by the TCM

Three runs in 5th gear full targeted timing, no BS...all thanks to a kick ass community effort..you guys rock!!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    damn!! i want my car flashhhheeeedddd

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotta love those brief trips to Mexico via the Holland Tunnel Click here to enlarge Weather.com is saying it's done raining & that it should be sunny (~40s) all day tomorrow, plan on taking some real logs to share with the community to showcase the Alpina TCM & the flat-line fix.

IF anybody interested in this flash would like "special" logs (within reason, don't ask for a top speed run), I can try and take them for you to post up. I'm using a COBB AccessPORT to log, so just post up some parameters & I can try to log them.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The transmission is just a hunk of metal, apply fluid pressure in the right place, and the gears engage. The problem with swapping a post 03/07 Mechatronics or entire transmission into a car with a pre 03/07 build date will come down to computer programming. Hopefully you can just write the Aplina file, change the VIN and call it a day. Time will tell.
    So I should just build the newer Trans, flash the Alpina Software and also flash the DME with a post 03/07 file so the car thinks its a post build. I already have the New MSD81 DME since I fried an injector adaptor and had a new one installed.

I think your exactly right it's a price of hardware the only issue would be communication between the DME and the Trans Control Unit which is fixable with the right flash. Screw it might as well take the risk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cable ordered.... this will coincide nicely with the BMS DPs and Helix FMIC going in next week!
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Gotta love those brief trips to Mexico via the Holland Tunnel Click here to enlarge Weather.com is saying it's done raining & that it should be sunny (~40s) all day tomorrow, plan on taking some real logs to share with the community to showcase the Alpina TCM & the flat-line fix.

IF anybody interested in this flash would like "special" logs (within reason, don't ask for a top speed run), I can try and take them for you to post up. I'm using a COBB AccessPORT to log, so just post up some parameters & I can try to log them.
    To think it was right under our noses all this time Click here to enlarge man

These logs of alpina TCU flash deserves a separate thread @benzy89...with instructions from this thread on how to set it up should probably be a sticky
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A little bit of tech about the conversations between DME and the TCU would be great as a separate thread as well. Lots of cool stuff going on i bet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sikh335 Click here to enlarge
    So I should just build the newer Trans, flash the Alpina Software and also flash the DME with a post 03/07 file so the car thinks its a post build. I already have the New MSD81 DME since I fried an injector adaptor and had a new one installed.

I think your exactly right it's a price of hardware the only issue would be communication between the DME and the Trans Control Unit which is fixable with the right flash. Screw it might as well take the risk.
    I don't think you'd have to do anything to the DME, but we simply don't know yet. We also don't know if a EGS previously programmed with a VIN can have the VIN changed, although I can't imagine why not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bv1 Click here to enlarge
    A little bit of tech about the conversations between DME and the TCU would be great as a separate thread as well. Lots of cool stuff going on i bet.
    I'm dying to stick a CAN to USB bridge on the PT-Bus and see what is happening, but I need to get an adapter and a free weekend, and free weekends are hard to come by.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    To think it was right under our noses all this time Click here to enlarge man

These logs of alpina TCU flash deserves a separate thread benzy89 ...with instructions from this thread on how to set it up should probably be a sticky
    I'm just glad a solution was found lol... I know the @Cn555ic has instructions on how to do the Alpina flash somewhere in this thread. I can repost them once I take the logs & start a new thread. It'd prob be good if you or another technical savy person can discuss the in-depth, tech stuff on how the DME & Alpina TCU are getting along and allowing for the 6AT to maintain timing

**ALSO for anyone in the Philly area, on Saturday Jake from ProTuning Freaks will be doing the dyno tuning today at Helix (http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=helix). I'm going to be there for at least part of the day, so if anyone with a 6AT 335 would like a ride I have no problem "showcasing" the flash. I'm also going to try to borrow someone's GoPro & take some videos. Maybe my 335 vs one with similar mods & the OEM TCM flash
    Last edited by benzy89; 02-19-2013 at 10:28 PM.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm dying to stick a CAN to USB bridge on the PT-Bus and see what is happening, but I need to get an adapter and a free weekend, and free weekends are hard to come by.
    Yeah me too, I foolishly spent a few hours online converting trying convert the hex to assembly and then assembly to C like code. Didn't get very far.
    There is an online converter anybody here read assembly lol...

http://www.geocities.com/dinceraydin...sm/djdasm.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Preliminary tests show that Alpina TCM flash gets rid of the 6AT FLATLINE Click here to enlarge this was always induced by the transnission computer through CANbus commands triggering torque limit 4 and telling the dme to drop torque by cutting timing out.

Still some testing to do but its looking very promising for 6AT cars to have a proper fix finally
    Awesome!!
    E92 FBO Cobb stage 2+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just glad a solution was found lol... I know the @Cn555ic has instructions on how to do the Alpina flash somewhere in this thread. I can repost them once I take the logs & start a new thread. It'd prob be good if you or another technical savy person can discuss the in-depth, tech stuff on how the DME & Alpina TCU are getting along and allowing for the 6AT to maintain timing
    I think someone should take the time and create a PDF with instructions, all professional like.

The problem with talking about the finer points of how the DME communicates with the EGS is we just don't know. That is proprietary information and hard to come by. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the transmission looks at the input and output shaft speeds and notices that at high levels of torque, there is excessive slip, Much more than the EGS thinks there should be, so it tells the DME, "Hey, ease up and reduce your timing to lower torque or I'm going to explode."

I've always thought the flat lining was a safety precaution so nothing rapidly disassembles itself. Different cars flat line differently due to many variables including charge air temp, transmission condition, specific mods, elevation, etc. Basically it depends on how much the transmission slips between gears, and the engine load vs. drive ratio. There is more stress on the transmission (power train in general) in fifth gear at WOT and 6000 rpms than in third gear because of the mechanical advantage of third gear vs. fifth. That's probably why you see more flat lining in higher gears, because the wheels as physically harder to turn. Also your speed would be higher, and that causes an exponential increase in air resistance which just makes the power train work harder. However, depending on atmospheric conditions, mods and transmission condition, the trans could tell the DME to turn down the torque in many situations.

Flat lining may be a last resort to prevent excessive wear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bv1 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah me too, I foolishly spent a few hours online converting trying convert the hex to assembly and then assembly to C like code. Didn't get very far.
    There is an online converter anybody here read assembly lol...

http://www.geocities.com/dinceraydin...sm/djdasm.html
    Lol, I hate assembly. The problem with that disassembler is that it assumes your processor is a PIC16F84. You have to know the target device to convert the machine code to assembly. From what I can tell, it looks like the processor used is 32 bit. I'm basing this on the fist or second line of the hex portion of the .0PA file. To figure out what target device is used, we have to tear apart a post 02/07 EGS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotcha, I'm grasping at straws here. I'm in the pre 02/207 crowd. I'll just have to wait out for options maybe Cobb can help or if we get confirmation on hardware compatibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think someone should take the time and create a PDF with instructions, all professional like.
    I think you just volunteered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what wass wrong with the DIY in Post #370?? But Steven (Cn555ic) posted a DIY Thread that can be sticky'd here: http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...540#post403540

For anyone following this thread & waiting for data, I'll be posting it in this^^ thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what wass wrong with the DIY in Post #370?? But Steven (Cn555ic) posted a DIY Thread that can be sticky'd here: http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...540#post403540

For anyone following this thread & waiting for data, I'll be posting it in this^^ thread
    What's wrong with it is I didn't know it existed until right now, but it looks great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well it was in the middle of this epic long thread so finding it was a chore! Anyhow anything pertaining to the flash should now start on that thread as we already have what we needed to get this working!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It think its appropriate to put further development information in here, like swapping the Mechatronics for pre 03/07 builds. Does that sound reasonable? I think the stickied thread should be as uncluttered as possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It think its appropriate to put further development information in here, like swapping the Mechatronics for pre 03/07 builds. Does that sound reasonable? I think the stickied thread should be as uncluttered as possible.
    Until it's a proven solution, there's no sense in adding it. In true BB fashion, only factually, proven information should be included in this sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can you explain how this changes the shift point? I thought I read there was potential to raise the rev limiter, but this appears to effectively lower it by changing the shift point in M mode. I don't need to wind my car out with stock turbos, but is there the potential to do so?
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Well, if it does indeed significantly shift faster, then you would be increasing the heat on the clutch packs. But right now all that is speculation, cuz we might be talking about microseconds here, which is insignificant.

I'm not stock. I'm race map/Stage 2+ FBO.
    Faster shifting is better for trans. Less heat than slipping it for smooth shifts

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast