Close

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    I would think entirely different. A tuned car which increases HP and torque would inherently do more damage as the TCU is not calibrated for those power levels. The Alpina TCU mapping of the software does.
    He was reffering to the aplina flash for the engine not the tcu. By the way thanks for the diy, it would be awesome if you could post a YouTube video with a little more clarification, like where and how to get the latest version of inpa how to set it up, which cable to buy, ect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would think entirely different. A tuned car which increases HP and torque would inherently do more damage as the TCU is not calibrated for those power levels. The Alpina TCU mapping of the software does.
    I'm not talking about the EGS, I'm talking about the DME, the engine computer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    best would be to find someone with an Alpina and export all files so its easy to find.
    Right, or look at their UIF in INPA.

I'm just saying force flashing your DME with Alpina DME firmware may lead to unintended operation.

WinKFP will tell you if your hardware is compatible with the software, and as franzzz found it, it's not joking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    He was reffering to the aplina flash for the engine not the tcu. By the way thanks for the diy, it would be awesome if you could post a YouTube video with a little more clarification, like where and how to get the latest version of inpa how to set it up, which cable to buy, ect.
    That I will not do as I feel what I posted in DIY is basically a dummied down version of what to do. If those that can't make sense of what I posted, need to ask yourself should I be doing this in the first place. I am not going to stress this as Winkfp is powerful software. As for setting up the software, do a search there are tons of DIY to set up INPA and NCSexpert. I don't feel I need to cover those areas as there is a wealth of info out there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I'm not talking about the EGS, I'm talking about the DME, the engine computer.

Hmm. So far there has been no issues with this platform from thousands of tuned cars with the exception of two or three with total engine failure.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up From OEM to Alpina TCM Review

SO after the discovery of the Alpina TCM software and the ongoing 5th gear flat-lining problem, I decided to ask Steven (@Cn555ic ) if he’d be able to flash my car with the Alpina software. On the drive over, I really focused on how the OEM transmission software responded, driving in normal Drive, Drive Sport and the Manual modes. The biggest things I noticed were the brief hesitation between gear changes in all modes when going WOT. If you were to intentionally downshift the car, there was always a “bucking” motion while the transmission settled into the gear. But one of the most aggravating things is while using the paddles, there was a noticeable delay between an up or downshift and the transmission actually changing gears. To get the fastest shifts, you’d need to use the gear shifter (which eliminates the whole convenience of steering wheel mounted paddles).

Well finally I met up with Steven, it took 10 minutes from start to finish to flash the Alpina software. Just like in the DIY, after we finished flashing the car we turned the car off for 5 minutes before starting it up. First start up, not a single warning or service light on the dash – Always a good sign. From there Steven decided it'd be a good idea to go for a quick test ride to make sure everything was running smoothly. Immediately you'll notice the difference, even in regular D. The gear changes are silky smooth, there is no hesitation or lag when going through the gears during normal street driving; honestly you'll barely notice as it goes from one gear to the next. DS mode now is completely different, the car is always ready to be driven aggressively. In full Manual mode, the car has the same feeling but the paddles are also so much more responsive (giving the same snappy gear shifts as the gear shifter would). Downshifts are incredibly smooth & the "bucking" motion is gone, it's as if the TCM orders the rev's to be blipped while it eases into the next gear.

Well after the test driven, I dropped off Steven & started my trip home. I really was eager to get some data, but unfortunately it started pouring, preventing any high speed pulls.
    Click here to enlarge

Data: I plugged in my COBB AP and viewed live data while making a brief pull through a tunnel in 5th gear, and YES it’s true ladies & gentleman – We have positive timing & a potential flat-lining solution. If it ever stops raining, I can promise everyone that I will head out as soon as the road tries to get some real logs (3rd to 5th logs and full 5th gear pulls). In addition to a flat-line fix, I think the Alpina TCM might have adjusted the Traction Control. It seems like the TC now allows you to power through wheel spin instead of killing all the power until you let off the throttle or the tires grip again. I have no idea if the DTC programming has been altered, but it’s possible that the Alpina software might turn it into an “MDM” mode for the 335.

Bottom line: I don’t care what transmission you have or if it’s been “upgraded”, the Alpina TCM software is a MUST HAVE mod for every 6AT car. The change in driving feel is significant and I’m sure once someone gets VBOX results, it’ll showcase the nice bump in performance from reducing acceleration times.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm. So far there has been no issues with this platform from thousands of tuned cars with the exception of two or three with total engine failure.
    He's just saying that it would be a bad idea too stack the alpina flash with your current tune. So would someone that does coding be able to flash the alpina tcu or do coders not have much expiereince with winkfp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I would love to pay someone to flash my car. I am in south jersey and could make a road trip. Anyone local or within 2 hour drive interested in providing this service?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    SO after the discovery of the Alpina TCM software and the ongoing 5th gear flat-lining problem, I decided to ask Steven (@Cn555ic ) if he’d be able to flash my car with the Alpina software. On the drive over, I really focused on how the OEM transmission software responded, driving in normal Drive, Drive Sport and the Manual modes. The biggest things I noticed were the brief hesitation between gear changes in all modes when going WOT. If you were to intentionally downshift the car, there was always a “bucking” motion while the transmission settled into the gear. But one of the most aggravating things is while using the paddles, there was a noticeable delay between an up or downshift and the transmission actually changing gears. To get the fastest shifts, you’d need to use the gear shifter (which eliminates the whole convenience of steering wheel mounted paddles).

Well finally I met up with Steven, it took 10 minutes from start to finish to flash the Alpina software. Just like in the DIY, after we finished flashing the car we turned the car off for 5 minutes before starting it up. First start up, not a single warning or service light on the dash – Always a good sign. From there Steven decided it'd be a good idea to go for a quick test ride to make sure everything was running smoothly. Immediately you'll notice the difference, even in regular D. The gear changes are silky smooth, there is no hesitation or lag when going through the gears during normal street driving; honestly you'll barely notice as it goes from one gear to the next. DS mode now is completely different, the car is always ready to be driven aggressively. In full Manual mode, the car has the same feeling but the paddles are also so much more responsive (giving the same snappy gear shifts as the gear shifter would). Downshifts are incredibly smooth & the "bucking" motion is gone, it's as if the TCM orders the rev's to be blipped while it eases into the next gear.

Well after the test driven, I dropped off Steven & started my trip home. I really was eager to get some data, but unfortunately it started pouring, preventing any high speed pulls.
    [ATTACH]26490[/ATTAH]

Data: I plugged in my COBB AP and viewed live data while making a brief pull through a tunnel in 5th gear, and YES it’s true ladies & gentleman – We have positive timing & a potential flat-lining solution. If it ever stops raining, I can promise everyone that I will head out as soon as the road tries to get some real logs (3rd to 5th logs and full 5th gear pulls). In addition to a flat-line fix, I think the Alpina TCM might have adjusted the Traction Control. It seems like the TC now allows you to power through wheel spin instead of killing all the power until you let off the throttle or the tires grip again. I have no idea if the DTC programming has been altered, but it’s possible that the Alpina software might turn it into an “MDM” mode for the 335.

Bottom line: I don’t care what transmission you have or if it’s been “upgraded”, the Alpina TCM software is a MUST HAVE mod for every 6AT car. The change in driving feel is significant and I’m sure once someone gets VBOX results, it’ll showcase the nice bump in performance from reducing acceleration times.
    thanks for the update. for me, personally, elimination of the shift initiation delay when using the paddles is the most exciting part! the note you made about traction control is interesting. assuming the flash didn't alter the traction control module, i wonder if alpina made any changes to the e-diff that we can apply. now THAT would be some cool stuff too.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think you understand what I am saying.

There are many different versions of the DME firmware as is apparent by the 2 dozen different DME firmwares identified on Cobb's website. Each different firmware file needs explicit support from Cobb, so there must be some notable differences in them. Now if these are simply software differences, then theoretically the Alpina DME firmware file could be loaded onto any DME without incident. The real questions is why are there so many different versions of the DME firmware. I would be careful before flashing the Alpina flash to any DME unless I knew the whole car was going to be compatible with the change to the DME firmware.

It's just like the pre 03/07 Mechatronics not being compatible with the Alpina EGS firmware. Not all DME's may be compatible with the specific DME firmware Alpina used.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 02-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    doesn't the alpina b3 run a lower compression than stock? are afr targets differant for the alpina an couldn't uploading there tune do more harm than good if thats the case

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
    doesn't the alpina b3 run a lower compression than stock? are afr targets differant for the alpina an couldn't uploading there tune do more harm than good if thats the case
    Yes it does that is a good point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good catch - it's 9.4 : 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @benzy89 I find it impossible to believe you did a 4-5 gear change thru a tunnel at revs approaching optimal acceleration. The flatline isnt an issue in the lower revs, its the higher ones. Nonetheless, excited to see what your logs show.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good catch - it's 9.4 : 1
    We have several of those cars running a JB4. The tuning is very similar to Dinan IIRC. When I get some time I'll search my email for a log.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lets flash the alpina dme......and loge the appropriate parameters and performance aspects and all will be reviled,should this not be used as a new base to start with as a bunch of other components are interconected with the dme and this is where cobb steps in to fine tune this wealth of new information and incorporate this into there access port.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are many different versions of the DME firmware as is apparent by the 2 dozen different DME firmwares identified on Cobb's website. Each different firmware file needs explicit support from Cobb, so there must be some notable differences in them. Now if these are simply software differences, then theoretically the Alpina DME firmware file could be loaded onto any DME without incident. The real questions is why are there so many different versions of the DME firmware. I would be careful before flashing the Alpina flash to any DME unless I knew the whole car was going to be compatible with the change to the DME firmware.
    The DME ROM is completely independent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM), so it shouldn't matter what DME ROM the car is using. So anyone using a transmission with the Mechatronics from 02/07 or later can utilize the Alpina software.

Alpina B3 runs lower compression with forged internals. Other than that Alpina changes the intake & turbo inlet piping. The FMIC, turbos & DPs are the same.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I find it impossible to believe you did a 4-5 gear change thru a tunnel at revs approaching optimal acceleration. The flatline isnt an issue in the lower revs, its the higher ones. Nonetheless, excited to see what your logs show.
    No 4-5 gear change, just got in 5th gear and slowly made the pull. I don't know if you were having the same problem, but prior to the flash I never had positive timing in 5th gear, so it was a nice surprise to finally see some. Once it dries up, I'll find out if the flat-lining is fixed during a 4-5 shift.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DME ROM is completely independent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM), so it shouldn't matter what DME ROM the car is using.

Alpina B3 runs lower compression with forged internals. Other than that Alpina changes the intake & turbo inlet piping. The FMIC, turbos & DPs are the same.

No 4-5 gear change, just got in 5th gear and slowly made the pull. I don't know if you were having the same problem, but prior to the flash I never had positive timing in 5th gear, so it was a nice surprise to finally see some. Once it dries up, I'll find out if the flat-lining is fixed during a 4-5 shift.
    Oh you were flatlining 5th in gear? Nope never had that problem, only after shifts. Can't wait to see logs!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unless you have a 10/06 tranny like me. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Lol that would be a problem. Well assuming you continue to romp on your current 6AT, maybe even upgrade the turbos, it'll eventually start to slip and need to be repaired. Instead of just fixing it, you can probably find a second hand 03/07 or later 6AT and get the flash.

It sucks, but it's a simple 6AT swap, not like you'll need the DME redone by a dealer if you decided to switch to a 6MT or DCT trans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DME ROM is completely independent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM), so it shouldn't matter what DME ROM the car is using. So anyone using a transmission with the Mechatronics from 02/07 or later can utilize the Alpina software.
    I know, somehow we got derailed and started talking about flashing the Alpina DME file to other DME's.

If we want to talk about the merits of the Alpina DME firmware, we should start another thread because now I think most people are just confused about what is being discussed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lol that would be a problem. Well assuming you continue to romp on your current 6AT, maybe even upgrade the turbos, it'll eventually start to slip and need to be repaired. Instead of just fixing it, you can probably find a second hand 03/07 or later 6AT and get the flash.

It sucks, but it's a simple 6AT swap, not like you'll need the DME redone by a dealer if you decided to switch to a 6MT or DCT trans.
    Lol! My trans is just fine at 103K miles (using high grade transfluid for years). I don't drag race, so I don't really care too much about the bump in acceleration. I road race, so the only think I'll care about is seeing if after my LSD install, this type of trans flash can force the TCU to stay in second gear in corner entry. This issue has forced me to stay in S mode during laps, which ironically, has yielded the best lap times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Im working on this right now, since im building the trans anyway i have found a trans that a 03/07 build and hopefully after confirming that the swap is as easy as it sounds will be building that trans instead of my 07/06 build that i currantly have. I should have more info in the next few hours Sam at 517trans is going to check on the new donor trans to insure that it a direct bolt up and has no harness changes. Fingers crossed they will have the trans tomorrow as it alrady in NY and the Auto wrecker will drop it off in NJ for me. Good thing i was able to have the freight company hold my trans that was ready to ship Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Benzy are you sure its a simple trans swap and there are no differances in the wiring harness or other pats of the trans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sikh335 Click here to enlarge
    Im working on this right now, since im building the trans anyway i have found a trans that a 03/07 build and hopefully after confirming that the swap is as easy as it sounds will be building that trans instead of my 07/06 build that i currantly have. I should have more info in the next few hours Sam at 517trans is going to check on the new donor trans to insure that it a direct bolt up and has no harness changes. Fingers crossed they will have the trans tomorrow as it alrady in NY and the Auto wrecker will drop it off in NJ for me. Good thing i was able to have the freight company hold my trans that was ready to ship Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! Good Luck to you. I got cobb working on this stuff too. Hopefully they can either totally reconfigure this file to work with earlier trannies, or just learn from it, and write their own program. Either way, I'm confident US tunners will soon be offering this same flash, ots.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast