Close

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The following assumes the torque converter is not locked up. Torque converter lock up occurs when hydraulic pressure is feed to a clutch in the torque converter, and the engine and transmission input shaft are directly mechanically coupled. The mechatronics controls torque converter lock up.

By design a torque converter allows the engine and transmission input shaft to spin at different speeds. The stall speed of the converter is some rpm at which the engine can spin no faster without causing the input shaft to turn. This speed is a function of the properties of the ATF used, and the internal design of the of the torque converter.

Keeping this speed low causes less losses in the torque converter and higher fuel economy. However, in the case of the single turbo cars, torque is not built at such a low rpm as it is with twins. So what ends up happening is engine output is reduced at the stall speed when going to a single turbo. The way to fix this is to get a torque converter with a higher stall speed so that engine output is higher when the stall speed is reached.

Until the torque converter is locked up, fluid dynamics is the only thing coupling the engine to the transmission input shaft. A higher stall speed allows a greater difference between the engine and the input shaft.
    Good info ! always nice to learn something new

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Until the software is cracked...I would want to see some sort of frankenstein build between the Ford equivalent with the n54 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Is there a definitive way to determine what transmission and tcu a 335i may have? The car I was looking to buy has a build date of 02/07... I believe I'm outta luck, but before passing on buying the car(the b3 flash was swaying me towards the AT) I wanted to know if a vin# will decode the transmission as I don't have access to view the car's transmission part number stamping. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Drunkentrader Click here to enlarge
    Is there a definitive way to determine what transmission and tcu a 335i may have? The car I was looking to buy has a build date of 02/07... I believe I'm outta luck, but before passing on buying the car(the b3 flash was swaying me towards the AT) I wanted to know if a vin# will decode the transmission as I don't have access to view the car's transmission part number stamping. Thanks!
    Anyone?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The trans is most likely a 6HP21 and the VB most likely GEN2 (has orange solenoids as well as blue and yellow) but the TCU can vary. If the build date is pre 3/07 then the TCU most likely will not be flashable. The TCU was upgraded after this build date to increase the communication hand shake with the DME, which is why it can now be accessed through the OBDII. This was the case with my first trans (8/06). I swapped out a TCU from a car with a 08 build date so I could flash different ECU files from the SDATEN files in WinKFP. Hope this helps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check if the hw number is 7591971.

Any bmw dealership or workshop would know how to pull this out.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930