Close

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    After reading about Level 10, Sticky's problem with the DCT build, and various other self proclaimed transmission builders I am nearly convinced they are all crooks.

I am skeptical of anecdotal evidence coming from 1-2 members on various builds. Hopefully someone can cure this skepticism soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

benzy89
    Yea, D mode is def very eager to keep RPMs way under 3k. Sport will usually run them somewhere between 3-4k, and then Manual it's when you decide to shift. Sport & Manual the shifts are a lot faster, and in Manual mode you can feel a significant difference in how smooth the downshifts now are.

Cn555ic
    Yes exactly to the tee!

Thanks to both of you for your response!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    After reading about Level 10, Sticky's problem with the DCT build, and various other self proclaimed transmission builders I am nearly convinced they are all crooks.

I am skeptical of anecdotal evidence coming from 1-2 members on various builds. Hopefully someone can cure this skepticism soon Click here to enlarge
    True, If i end up having to swap in a 335i 6MT tranny in the end... worse things have happened lol
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

2 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge

Part of being a guinea pig / choosing a product that hasn't been proven for being rock solid. Enrita's Level10 seems to be doing fine, but he's using Stage 2 Turbos. The 517 Trans $#@! the bed & SSP $#@!ed Sticky with their unnecessary clutch pack (especially if the F10 M5/F12 M6 is using the same clutch pack as the E9x M3 and putting down an additional 200 WTQ with no problems).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Any further updates? Looking for an automatic transmission solution for VTT Stage 3...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cityazndan Click here to enlarge
    Any further updates? Looking for an automatic transmission solution for VTT Stage 3...
    Being discusses in another thread, well at least one other lol. Nothing yet except the alpina flash. A couple guys (including myself) are looking to see if there is a swap option out there.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sigh, seems like no one was having luck with 517, level10, or IPT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Ok, my ARP head studs and main studs are weeks away now Click here to enlarge
    my custom I beam rods are weeks away now Click here to enlarge
    so, I guess that means I need to get on this 4l60e project I have sitting next to a N54 block.

ill make it happen (I hope!)
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Talk all dried up. It obviously isn't simple...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Ok, my ARP head studs and main studs are weeks away now Click here to enlarge
    my custom I beam rods are weeks away now Click here to enlarge
    so, I guess that means I need to get on this 4l60e project I have sitting next to a N54 block.

ill make it happen (I hope!)
    I know easier said than done but, on a supra at the shop we bout a TH400 because the Autos kept going out, this TH400 trans was custom made removeing the bell housing from the supra auto making a plate adapter and bolting it to the TH400, as far as the 4l60e is concerned ive looked up 2 types one where the transmission all is one like the N54 and one where the bellhousing and trans is 2 parts, that would be ideal trans to use. what would need to be done i guess is remove the bell housing form the 4l60e and and cut the bellhousing from an N54 trans and cut the back of the 4l60e bell housing and TIG weld it to the N54 bellhousing, then i guess a custom torque converter will need to be made, and thats the issue were running into with the supra is trying to find a shop to do it for us for relatively cheap lol.

And alex i do have an extra transmisson laying around from my E93 when i blew the trans, let me know if it would be any help in the build, im just north of ya in dallas.

here are some shop pics.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

this is what it looks like from inside the bell housing, not sure if there is enough room after removing the oil pump for bolts around theoutter circle on the inside after the bellhousing is cut off
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by sammy_0559; 08-06-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I think part of the problem these guys are having is the algorithm that controls shifting. It is meant to adapt over time to physical wear of the clutches as steels. What this means is if you appliy traditional "fixes" (spacers, springs, etc.) to the valve body to speed up shifting, the computer in the transmission will just slow it down again to try to meet target shift times.

Without cracking the TCU, there is no hope for the 6HP21 in high torque applications.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I think part of the problem these guys are having is the algorithm that controls shifting. It is meant to adapt over time to physical wear of the clutches as steels. What this means is if you appliy traditional "fixes" (spacers, springs, etc.) to the valve body to speed up shifting, the computer in the transmission will just slow it down again to try to meet target shift times.

Without cracking the TCU, there is no hope for the 6HP21 in high torque applications.
    You are correct, I messaged eurocharged since supposedly they have some TCU flash experience, just not sure if it's on this trans. Hoping he returns question with a yes. If so, I'm thinking to look into parts or entire trans 6hp26 found in the 335d, with most likely different gearbox, then found cheaper should be the ford version 6r60, not sure of the difference, I think the ford version is made slightly cheaper, however, they have a beefier version of it, the 6r80 that I believe would fit anywhere the 6r60 does, not sure anyone has torn down both to compare yet. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now, which like you said, is all pointless unless you have the software. But, if either internal design can be copied and used to upgrade the 6hp21, or a complete swap with the ford 6r80, that trans should be able to hold a ton more torque, like 700+

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Ya Sammy, if you want to donate towards the cause- cool Click here to enlarge

imma start screwing with it soon,
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is interesting...if the 6r80 will fit. Has the Ford TCU been cracked?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

That is interesting...if the 6r80 will fit. Has the Ford TCU been cracked?
    I asked my buddy who is a ford enthusiast, besides knowing it's stronger, they don't know how much stronger or even what the technical differences are between the 6r60 and 6r80. I'm gonna do some more reading and researching tonight and see what I can find on the ford forums.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I asked my buddy who is a ford enthusiast, besides knowing it's stronger, they don't know how much stronger or even what the technical differences are between the 6r60 and 6r80. I'm gonna do some more reading and researching tonight and see what I can find on the ford forums.
    Awesome, fill us in with what you find!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

This is a good sign Click here to enlarge waiting for a reply on a couple questions from these guys.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/ZF6HP26.html

Here is a write up on the trans, I've read in several ford forums that there are trans flashes available and people have "tuned" this transmission, now the only question is...does it fit and can someone flash it to work on our cars? I will continue the research, but someone with more hands on trans experience will need to answer how easy it would be be to hookup to our linkage and actually physically do the swap. But I'm also inquiring to a couple different sources about simply upgrading. Ford basically took the zf 6hp26, copied it with the 6r60, then a few years later made it beefier with upgrades parts, a new "firmware update" and wham, now they have a transmission that from what it seems can withstand quite a bit torque, at least 700 lb/ft no problem.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Awesome, fill us in with what you find!
    Sent a message to ZF to confirm, and not sure it's worth the effort, but the W255 RH- 4 G WK TTD torque converter should be a direct swap for an increase of 40 nm or ~30 ft/lb torque increase. They use this on a verision of the same trans. Found this info on their website lol. Along with maybe a pump and software, I don't see why this tranmission wouldn't be able to hold torque all the way up to ~500 ft/lb. that's all I've got for now. hopefully more/better news coming soon. I have a feeling a lot more people will be in need of this upgrade come this fall/winter after some bigger kits and rebuilds are done to the n54

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Oh...and look what we have here....is that a true and proven trans upgrade to the zf 6hp26? Yes it is!! I have actually seen this in action who knows how many times, just never realized until starting all this research that the 6hp26 was the same as the 6r60 or 6r80. Needless to say this company has now been contacted for the 6hp21...lol

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/6R...FUVp7AodvjsAuQ

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Man, I may put my spare 6hp21 tranny on hold....if we can shove the 6r80 into the n54. Probably still require chop/weld of the bellhousing but $#@!....parts for Ford is 1/100th the cost of BMW!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

My thoughts exactly. In the end though we still need the electronics sorted out. But physically I don't see why any shop that builds transmissions couldn't handle swapping in the 6r80 which is good for up to about 600 ft/lb, with that upgrade from exedy, it's a 1000 ft/lb monster. Would need to get somebody with the electronics capabilities involved. That upgrade also works on the 6hp26, so whichever someone can get their hands on, I'd love to see this done.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ill be in the Market for an upgrade next spring, I REALLY hope this works out!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Do we know if the n54 TCU is a GS20 control unit?
    Can anybody confirm this?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The TCU firmware has not been cracked, it's a software stack of both ZF AND BMW in our case. Crazy hard encryption, almost impossible to break without significant computerpower and appropriate facilities or somebody from within BMW (Not ZF) that leaks the key.
    HW upgrades without software adjustments will not results in sustainable upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RTA Click here to enlarge
    The TCU firmware has not been cracked, it's a software stack of both ZF AND BMW in our case. Crazy hard encryption, almost impossible to break without significant computerpower and appropriate facilities or somebody from within BMW (Not ZF) that leaks the key.
    HW upgrades without software adjustments will not results in sustainable upgrades.
    Correct, this is the reason for looking at the ford transmissions where the software is rumored to have been cracked and tuned. Hopefully a stage 3 guy and a shop can work together to get this done, I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig for something like this, but I only plan on going stage 3, maybe 600whp TOPS, and pretty sure the alpina flash, trans fluid pump, and possibly a torque converter upgrade would do the trick.

Click here to enlarge

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast