Close

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "the driver can up-shift in just a few hundred milliseconds with no perceptible loss in power"

If that is not NLS, fine. Rev matching is a whole different ball game but maybe I'm wrong about that too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    "the driver can up-shift in just a few hundred milliseconds with no perceptible loss in power"

If that is not NLS, fine. Rev matching is a whole different ball game but maybe I'm wrong about that too.
    well thats what the AT does.... is not an MT
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    well thats what the AT does.... is not an MT
    Yes I know, I own one. And it does not shift "with no perceptible loss of power". So in order to do so, even if shifts were somewhat faster (hundreds of millisecond is a few tenths), something like higher boost held is going on, thus more talking back to the engine. I was loosely calling this NLS but whatever the term that allows high boost to be held between shifts is getting messed with, or one might conclude that. Look I don't care, other than I am just trying to figure out from their marketing WTF they are doing with their reflash or "switch tronic". Is it just faster shifts, well no the rev matching seems to indicate a lot more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it shifts faster and firmer probably. lots of marketing going on there. lets get it flashed first and review it on high power engines before speculations.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    it shifts faster and firmer probably. lots of marketing going on there. lets get it flashed first and review it on high power engines before speculations.
    This is good advice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You would need to Update the DATEN files with the latest ENGLISH version. Then you would need to know which .IPO file corresponds to the transmission. After that all procedures should be visible to INPA.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If some one posts a diy of how to do this ill jump right on it but right now it seems as if we dont have all we need to do it
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The transmission has the capability to up shift in about 300ms if you believe the ZF documentation. It is up to the Mechatronics programming to allow this to happen. Add to this the fact that the transmission overlaps gears as it shifts, and you get "no perceptible loss of power." The transmission constantly talks to everything on the PT-bus via its CAN connection. it has to to work. It cannot exist in a vacuum.

Try not to take away too much from a journalistic article that calls the transmission a "Switchtronic." Journalists often aren't technical people.

[EDIT] Google "zf transmission with mechatronics" to see that documentation. Look at the graph on page 11.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 02-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    If some one posts a diy of how to do this ill jump right on it but right now it seems as if we dont have all we need to do it
    +1... I have the cable and ready to flash the tcu.. I also just got done taking a few 1/4 mile and 60-130mph runs to compare before and after with this alpina software
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I also just got done taking a few 1/4 mile and 60-130mph runs to compare before and after with this alpina software
    Great idea. I meant to mention before and after logs would confirm the differences in shifting, but sometimes there are too many things happening in my head and one time. Make sure the only thing that changes is the transmission software between the logs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Great idea. I meant to mention before and after logs would confirm the differences in shifting, but sometimes there are too many things happening in my head and one time. Make sure the only thing that changes is the transmission software between the logs.
    Hopefully the grin on my face changes as well Click here to enlarge

Question for everybody tuning into this thread - is anybody certain they have the resources and knowledge to flash the tcu with this software? If not, I will ask a reputable BMW coder/vendor on another forum to see if be can flash this or not..
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It may make sense to log something like a WOT 2-3 shift in D, DS, and M modes, both before and after the updates. Another good data point would be to vary the throttle opening, but that may be tough to do consistently.

I hope either @Tomaz or @franzzz can shed some light about what seems to be a missing ODA file for the Alpina flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I will ask a reputable BMW coder/vendor on another forum to see if be can flash this or not..
    Never hurts to get an expert opinion
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I will ask and see how much..
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Agreed. Once we have the required files, I should be able to handle it, but I'm not as experienced with the software tools as I would like to be. Hope to learn a little this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed. Once we have the required files, I should be able to handle it, but I'm not as experienced with the software tools as I would like to be. Hope to learn a little this weekend.
    This thread is awsome.
    I need to get that mecatronics unit to u ASAP Click here to enlarge
    but terry said somthing about the bms flash helping with transmission oil pressure. But I'm codeing illiterate. I'm loveing the way this thread is going. Hopefully somthing gets figured out before I finish my trans install
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry's solution manipulates the values the DME sends to the Mechatronics (TCU). He is still limited by the programming on the TCU. The solution we are discussing here would completely reprogram the TCU, and hopefully allow Terry's solution to work even better, but it should also allow someone without the JB4 and BMS back end flash to benefit as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry's solution manipulates the values the DME sends to the Mechatronics (TCU). He is still limited by the programming on the TCU. The solution we are discussing here would completely reprogram the TCU, and hopefully allow Terry's solution to work even better, but it should also allow someone without the JB4 and BMS back end flash to benefit as well.
    I'm still waiting on level 10, to upgrade my valve body as soon as I'm in the clear you will get it from me the same day!
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also had a good conversation with Sam @ 517trans.com tonight... Going to get the valvebody modded... He is going to email me instructions to remove it and only needs 1 day to perform his magic... I can't wait to see the improvement !!
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Solid, but we NEED all of the Alpina software & someone to give it a try. It'd be a huge for the 6AT crowd if we could upgrade the TCM settings & run whatever tune/trans upgrade we want without any headaches.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In therory if we have all the files couldnt we look into them and see what is changed over the stock files then use that data to make the trans hold up to even more tq?
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As soon as someone can confirm a smooth and errorless re-program I will go ahead and give it a shot as well.

Logging and getting proper vbox times for comparo may be difficult due to road conditions, but I'll try my best if I do end up trying it out.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    According the the WinKFP User's Guide, 0PA files are "Data set files for program" and 0DA files are "Data set files for data". This is also why the files are about 30,000 lines different in size (when viewed with a text editor, about 1.5 MB when viewed in Windows Explorer ).

The difference is most likely that the program files are the actual machine code that gets executed on the processor, and the data files are information the program reads as it executes about how to operate. So the 0PA files are the actual program, and the 0DA file are the configuration. That is what I am thinking based on past experiences with other processors.

Makes me wonder if the Alpina firmware file (the 0PA file) has a 0DA file that is supposed to go with it.
    Yes.
    yesterday i flashed up my EGS transmission on my 335i (Hardware ZB n. 7606259)
    The main program present is the 7566894A.0pa and the software accepted and loadet fron E89 sp daten V48 is the A7606260.0da)

In order to modify the characteristics of the Steptronic S is necessary a custom .0da file.
    However with the last official software (A7606260 and family) the steptronic after a period of self-adaptation ' run very good !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    In therory if we have all the files couldnt we look into them and see what is changed over the stock files then use that data to make the trans hold up to even more tq?

The files are in the Intel HEX32 format with a small human readable text header. In theory you could modify this file directly, but the file is in hexadecimal, and to figure out what's what you would need to disassemble it which is no small task, especially when you don't really know what hardware the file is intended to run on. And then you have the problem of the checksums generated at the end of the file. You would have to figure out how they are generated, then generate a new one so WimKFP would accept it. I don't mean the one byte checksum at the end of each line, those are simple to generate, apparently there is an overall checksum at the end of the file.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by franzzz Click here to enlarge
    Yes.
    yesterday i flashed up my EGS transmission on my 335i (Hardware ZB n. 7606259)
    The main program present is the 7566894A.0pa and the software accepted and loadet fron E89 sp daten V48 is the A7606260.0da)

In order to modify the characteristics of the Steptronic S is necessary a custom .0da file.
    However with the last official software (A7606260 and family) the steptronic after a period of self-adaptation ' run very good !
    Hi, thanks for posting.

Sounds like after flashing the transmission with the 0DA file from the v48 daten you noticed an improvement in how the car shifts? How would you describe the change; more firm, less jerky, faster? Do you have any way to log the rpm with respect to time?

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast