Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rough Start Up - E85 or 93 Pump

Within the last month or so I started noticing a rough cold start and had remembered reading that this was somewhat "normal" with the use of E85. I had been running an E45 mixture on a PTF E45 map. Over the past few fill ups, I have gone back to the PTF 93 map and figured that the rough cold starts would go away once I got back on pump gas but they have not. The AP does not throw any codes and I live in Florida so I'm not exactly dealing with low temps. Any ideas as to what could be causing the rough cold starts?

Another thing worth mentioning is at my last trip to the track, I got a 2A87 code (vanos solenoid). I cleared it and it hasn't come back since. Would a bad vanos solenoid cause rough cold starts?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rough cold starts in Winter with E85 seem to be the norm...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rough cold starts with E85 is a known problem; are you sure you've completely run the tank down where it's at normal pump gas levels (E10 or lower)? It's also plausible that you're starter is going (I would've said spark plugs, ignition coils or injectors, but you're not getting any codes).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Rough cold starts with E85 is a known problem; are you sure you've completely run the tank down where it's at normal pump gas levels (E10 or lower)? It's also plausible that you're starter is going (I would've said spark plugs, ignition coils or injectors, but you're not getting any codes).
    Yep. I have ran it completely down to E before the last fill up. Still having rough starts.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sometimes turning ignition on for 20 seconds before starting car helps. Another option is to raise up the global fuel scaling. Which in your case will throw WOT trims negative so you're limited in how far you can do it. But that seemed to help a bit with our flash map.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like coilpacks or plugs, when was the last time you changed them

Running e85 might have put extra stress on them and they are just starting to go out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    He'd be getting misfire codes & a CEL/SES light if that was the case. Especially if once the car is running, there are no "hiccups" going WOT

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    He'd be getting misfire codes & a CEL/SES light if that was the case. Especially if once the car is running, there are no "hiccups" going WOT
    My car has done this, it will "stutter" on startup and then is fine after it warms up. No codes until it misfires bad enough to throw one. Not sure if its normal but just personal experience of replacing coils and plugs fixes the issue. I usually dont worry about it until it starts misfiring during driving conditions.

Actually I think my car is doing that right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Sometimes turning ignition on for 20 seconds before starting car helps. Another option is to raise up the global fuel scaling. Which in your case will throw WOT trims negative so you're limited in how far you can do it. But that seemed to help a bit with our flash map.
    I used to do this b4 i got the backend flash.. i currently have no issues since the flash
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Running e85 might have put extra stress on them and they are just starting to go out.
    Plugs were changed about a month ago and a few coils have recently been changed after WOT misfires.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can understand rough starts on E85 but now that I've been back on straight 93 octane for a couple of weeks and I'm still getting rough starts, it concerns me.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Plugs were changed about a month ago and a few coils have recently been changed after WOT misfires.
    So you had a few go out but not replaced all of them? I think thats ur issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your HPFP could be going -- Just realized I said starter earlier when mentally this is what I meant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you had a few go out but not replaced all of them? I think thats ur issue.
    I am not sure how many original coils I have but I have replaced 3 or 4 over the past 6 months or so.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am not sure how many original coils I have but I have replaced 3 or 4 over the past 6 months or so.
    As you, I only change one coil at a time, but I keep record of which ones have been changed, and when I have this issue I change the oldest coil and usually it will go away, i have had a few times its a random.

Like i said, Im not sure this is your problem, but when I have this issue, thats the cause.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know it's more expensive, but why don't you guys change all six spark plugs & ignition coils together?? Usually when 1 fails, the other 5 are shortly behind it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was looking things over this evening and realized a few things. One is that there is a lot of oil covering the front of the engine. Another is that plugs 2-5 had oil on them when I last changed them which likely means that I need to change my valve cover gasket.

My guess is that the oil filter housing is leaking as well based on oil surrounding the base of the filter cap and around the filter housing. I probably need to get walnut blasted as well since I am almost at 60k miles.

Could any of these be causing the rough start up? Looks like its time to dump some money into maintenance instead of mods in the near future.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was looking things over this evening and realized a few things. One is that there is a lot of oil covering the front of the engine.
    Not sure what you mean by this Click here to enlarge

Another is that plugs 2-5 had oil on them when I last changed them which likely means that I need to change my valve cover gasket.

My guess is that the oil filter housing is leaking as well based on oil surrounding the base of the filter cap and around the filter housing. I probably need to get walnut blasted as well since I am almost at 60k miles.

Could any of these be causing the rough start up? Looks like its time to dump some money into maintenance instead of mods in the near future.
    A leaking valve cover gasket could let oil get onto the spark plugs & cause misfires, but like you mentioned you aren't getting codes so that's interesting. Long crank is a sign of a failing HPFP.

As far as the leaking valve cover gasket & walnut blasting, those are two things on my short 50k Service list (in addition to a fluid flush, intake filter replacement, vacuum hose replacement, etc)