Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    Updated Pictures:
    Very nice, keep em coming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No one has mentioned anything about the turbos not being water cooled? Seems like the easy way out. Would not have been too tough to get a water cooled housing and run 2 lines. $#@! I ran 4 in much tighter spacing. Getting the rear water lines fabbed and in there was a hair pulling experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    No one has mentioned anything about the turbos not being water cooled? Seems like the easy way out. Would not have been too tough to get a water cooled housing and run 2 lines. $#@! I ran 4 in much tighter spacing. Getting the rear water lines fabbed and in there was a hair pulling experience.
    I didn't even realize the kit used a turbo that wasn't watercooled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Neither did I until I saw those pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, just wow.... That's all I can say about that.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Knowledge.. the more you know!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, just wow.... That's all I can say about that.
    The new dual ball bearing turbos from Precision are oil cooled only, no more water cooling. They use ceramic bearings which produce less heat, eliminating the need for water cooling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Neither did I until I saw those pics.

I mentioned this a while back.

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread...0#post11401050

Though check out Shiv's response on the next page.

And I agree with dan avon7, precision's air-cooled elimated the need, I would prefer water-cooling however.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dan avoN7 Click here to enlarge
    The new dual ball bearing turbos from Precision are oil cooled only, no more water cooling. They use ceramic bearings which produce less heat, eliminating the need for water cooling.
    Oil cooled only? Weren't the ASR turbos similar to this but Vishnu would criticized them?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer keeping water cooling on this car. The car keeps running the water pump after its shut off to cool them down, so sort of a built-in turbo timer. I guess if the turbos are meant for just oil cooling than its no big deal but more cooling for the turbos can't be bad in either case.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i agree here. For a second though I thought we were regressing back to my 2G DSM days where if you didn't have a turbo timer your turbo was toast LOL.

Call me overly concerned but water cooled on top of oil cooled is the only way to go for me.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I prefer keeping water cooling on this car. The car keeps running the water pump after its shut off to cool them down, so sort of a built-in turbo timer. I guess if the turbos are meant for just oil cooling than its no big deal but more cooling for the turbos can't be bad in either case.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They ran fins on the bearing housings for years, this is an OLD practice you can find old T2 garretts that went with fins instead of water cooling, but water cooling is always better if you can fit it in, for some production models it was just not practical. I have built systems with oil cooled housings and their really isn't a problem, but in this engine compartment with these tight of spaces and the heat generated I would really prefer a water cooled housing. The turbo will prob last just fine without it though, just make sure you let it idle down after getting it hot, so you don't cook the oil as you have no water flowing to cool it, once you cut the ignition, the oil stops flowing and I dont care what kind of oil you have in their, if you have just been on hard run that turbine side is hot enough to turn that oil into coke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oil cooled only? Weren't the ASR turbos similar to this but Vishnu would criticized them?
    I would post the official PDF from Precision Turbo but I don't have high enough rep to include links Click here to enlarge Not sure about your second question.
    i agree here. For a second though I thought we were regressing back to my 2G DSM days where if you didn't have a turbo timer your turbo was toast LOL.

Call me overly concerned but water cooled on top of oil cooled is the only way to go for me.
    Turbo technology has come a long ways.. The newer Precision Turbo center sections don't even offer a port for water cooling so it looks like you will have to opt for another turbo brand Click here to enlarge

They ran fins on the bearing housings for years, this is an OLD practice you can find old T2 garretts that went with fins instead of water cooling, but water cooling is always better if you can fit it in, for some production models it was just not practical. I have built systems with oil cooled housings and their really isn't a problem, but in this engine compartment with these tight of spaces and the heat generated I would really prefer a water cooled housing. The turbo will prob last just fine without it though, just make sure you let it idle down after getting it hot, so you don't cook the oil as you have no water flowing to cool it, once you cut the ignition, the oil stops flowing and I dont care what kind of oil you have in their, if you have just been on hard run that turbine side is hot enough to turn that oil into coke.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the older turbo offerings.. The turbo manufacture (Precision Turbo) officially stated that their newer models do not need water cooling and as I mentioned above, the newer center sections don't even have a port for water lines. It would appear they have done extensive R&D and are confident that their new offerings do not need the additional cooling. Kinda a moot point to argue when the manufacture specifically says it's not needed, right? Note that I'm not talking about their older offering or turbos from the 90's.. And I would certainly hope that someone would drive for a few minutes to let the car cool down after ragging on it, regardless of turbo choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would post the official PDF from Precision Turbo but I don't have high enough rep to include links
    That's your own doing. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would never own a precision turbo so I'm not too woried about it LOL!

I would post the official PDF from Precision Turbo but I don't have high enough rep to include links Click here to enlarge Not sure about your second question.

Turbo technology has come a long ways.. The newer Precision Turbo center sections don't even offer a port for water cooling so it looks like you will have to opt for another turbo brand Click here to enlarge

Yes, I'm familiar with the older turbo offerings.. The turbo manufacture (Precision Turbo) officially stated that their newer models do not need water cooling and as I mentioned above, the newer center sections don't even have a port for water lines. It would appear they have done extensive R&D and are confident that their new offerings do not need the additional cooling. Kinda a moot point to argue when the manufacture specifically says it's not needed, right? Note that I'm not talking about their older offering or turbos from the 90's.. And I would certainly hope that someone would drive for a few minutes to let the car cool down after ragging on it, regardless of turbo choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would never own a precision turbo so I'm not too woried about it LOL!
    Why is that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well if you know the history of precision turbos, they used to be a Garrett distributor. They then ventured out and started producing their own turbos (garrett copies) and had many, many failures. Recently, I'd probably admit that precision turbos are better than what they used to be but honestly I'd rather just stick with the people that have pioneered the industry like Borg Warner or Garrett. I just picked up a Forced Performance (Garrett Housing) HTA3582r. I love FP turbos because you get the Garrett design with the FP upgrade. Just my .02 though. I've seen WAY too many precision turbos fail prematurely.

Why is that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if you know the history of precision turbos, they used to be a Garrett distributor. They then ventured out and started producing their own turbos (garrett copies) and had many, many failures. Recently, I'd probably admit that precision turbos are better than what they used to be but honestly I'd rather just stick with the people that have pioneered the industry like Borg Warner or Garrett. I just picked up a Forced Performance (Garrett Housing) HTA3582r. I love FP turbos because you get the Garrett design with the FP upgrade. Just my .02 though. I've seen WAY too many precision turbos fail prematurely.
    I was not familiar with their history, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Your example of why they don't need water cooling is because they don't have a port for water? Um of course they don't its a oil cooled housing, they put fins on it to help with the heat transfer, as I stated and I'll state it again. Just because they do not offer water cooling does NOT mean water cooling would not be beneficial. Honestly on a car that is mostly a weekend warrior and toy, you don't really need water cooling, something you drive everyday or race on a road course water cooling would be beneficial. I mean ask Porsche and VW they were oil cooled with finned heads for years, the engine technology has come forward in uncountable ways and they all went away from it, as did every motorcycle manufacture. Borg Warner, and Garrett to name two offer very advanced Twin BB turbos and they ALL recommend water cooling, but you can plug them if you so choose. I find it very hard to believe Precision has spent more R&D dollars then these companies and is now claiming we have a BB system so advanced water cooling would not be beneficial. Again I will state our shop has built many a system without water cooling, as its much easier they had no problems, but when we can run it we do. That's all I am saying, it would be nice if they offered the option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's been an issue with the PTE compressor wheels blowing up in high boost situations (around/over 30psi which is irrelevant to this platform,but info nonetheless).I've had one fail, turned me off the brand... I'm a Garrett GTX fan, although they could put out a few more sizes to fill the gap between the GTX35-GTX42's.+1 on water cooled chra's...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

0 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Now, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you say that but you ran a JB on your car? Similar copy/follow feature business model.

-TG, mad respect for JB BTW
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So I got it started tonight! I drove it around for a while with the meth off. At first I though it was in limp mode flooring it around 2000... but then it threw me back in the seat haha. Just need to get used to the shift in the powerband. It was around 11pm so I didn't mess with the tune at all and will run it on meth tomorrow.

When I first started it up, I had no misfires or anything luckily. Although there is a ticking in the engine bay. At first I thought injectors. But it is intermittent, ie. ticking for a minute then no ticking for 30 secs. If I rev above 1000 rpms it also goes away. It sounds like it is coming from around or behind the throttle body. I attached a youtube video. Any ideas?

Also the turbo sounds great. Takes a little longer to make some noise, but when it does you know it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I got it started tonight! I drove it around for a while with the meth off. At first I though it was in limp mode flooring it around 2000... but then it threw me back in the seat haha. Just need to get used to the shift in the powerband. It was around 11pm so I didn't mess with the tune at all and will run it on meth tomorrow.

When I first started it up, I had no misfires or anything luckily. Although there is a ticking in the engine bay. At first I thought injectors. But it is intermittent, ie. ticking for a minute then no ticking for 30 secs. If I rev above 1000 rpms it also goes away. It sounds like it is coming from around or behind the throttle body. I attached a youtube video. Any ideas?

Also the turbo sounds great. Takes a little longer to make some noise, but when it does you know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqed7Q7TJmo
    almost sounds like intake valves ticking... not sure tho just a guess
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Precision turbos are VERY popular due to their bang for the buck ratio. Their customers don't need water cooling, obviously, as they don't even offer it.

For ATs this would be a good idea, since the transmission is cooled by the radiator, which cannot keep up with all the cooling needs in a hot track day. Redistributing the turbo's cooling as a whole to an UPGRADED Setrab oil cooler makes sense for AT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you serious? You're comparing Precision stealing Garrett's design all the way down to the same exact compressor wheel size to a JB4. Plus Precision failed pretty miserably at copying Garrett at first. You probably haven't been around this platform long enough to remember but Terry only came out with the first JB to prove to Shiv that it could be done for far less that the $1000 Shiv was charging. I've owned all 3 major tunes for this platform, still have a procede in my desk drawer at work. It makes a great paperweight. The only similarities between the two are that they both plug into the ECU and they work similarly. Other than that they are completely different, gauge hijacking is different, software is way different. JB4 to Procede is not even in the same ballpark to what Precision did to Garrett.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Now, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you say that but you ran a JB on your car? Similar copy/follow feature business model.

-TG, mad respect for JB BTW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey OP. Lets get a video of that Click here to enlarge

This noise is normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqed7Q7TJmo
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast