Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowerFlex SubFrame bushing Full Replacement DIY

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

PowerFlex SubFrame bushing Full Replacement DIY

Note: Not responsible for any damage to you or your car, this worked on my car so will work on yours.

***This tutorial assumes you know how to get your car secured on jack stands, if in doubt do NOT attempt this DIY!

Tools Need not in pic (4 jacks if possible & block of wood, (1) for a safety catch in case jack stand fail (I saw this happen and will NEVER forget it)....safety 1st).

Torque specs:

Subframe bolts (65 Ft lbs)
    Strut bolts (25 ft lbs)

Suggestions:

I highly suggest a impact wrench.
    I used a 14MM 12Pt socket instead of a E18 on subframe bolts.
    If you can source a 3/34" inside diameter pipe you can skip a few spteps...I got tired of looking for one...I got each bushing out in less than 15 mins.

Note: I was in the middle of a wavetrac install so my exhaust and differential where not in place, You may have to unbolt half shafts...I will update thread in a day or so.

Rear bushings:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Front bushings:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5 ISO+BMS flash,Walbro 455 LPFP, Devils Own meth kit W/DO10 & DO7 nozzle's & 4-AN SS lines, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, BMS angel eyes, 3" AR kittyless Dps, Strett stage 2 oil-cooler, ER FMIC, ER CP W/Synapse BOV, M3 control arms, meyle HD tie-rods, Wavetrac LSD, BC BR coil-overs, Power-Flex subframe bushings, Cusco Strut Brace, Concept 1 CS-5.0 rims,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Great tutorial! Click here to enlarge Thanks for the DIY pullers Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Nice write up/pics
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Great write-up.
    Can you tell which sizes powerflex bushings you needed for this?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I too have noticed the trouble sourcing large sizes of pipe. I thought about using a hole saw but wasn't sure it was strong enough. Now I know. This will come in handy when doing my sub-frame and diff bushings. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Awesome, I've been contemplating these or the inserts. Were you able to handle the diff bushings similarly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Very well done especially with the captions on the photos. This definitely took quite a bit of time, respect.

Thank you so much for the DIY!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice write up/pics
    Thank you, I have a bunch more tutorials I need to post here lol! I also have a DIY for the "differential lockdown unit" coming Thursday!
    JB4 G5 ISO+BMS flash,Walbro 455 LPFP, Devils Own meth kit W/DO10 & DO7 nozzle's & 4-AN SS lines, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, BMS angel eyes, 3" AR kittyless Dps, Strett stage 2 oil-cooler, ER FMIC, ER CP W/Synapse BOV, M3 control arms, meyle HD tie-rods, Wavetrac LSD, BC BR coil-overs, Power-Flex subframe bushings, Cusco Strut Brace, Concept 1 CS-5.0 rims,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very well done especially with the captions on the photos. This definitely took quite a bit of time, respect.

Thank you so much for the DIY!
    It took a lot of time but worth it if helps someone!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Awesome, I've been contemplating these or the inserts. Were you able to handle the diff bushings similarly?
    much easier, no torch on those...I wouldn't even consider a torch since it could damage that part of the subframe. I had a 3" pipe for those and have a tutorial coming up...I got the differential bushing out with in 15 minutes (with differential out of course).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I too have noticed the trouble sourcing large sizes of pipe. I thought about using a hole saw but wasn't sure it was strong enough. Now I know. This will come in handy when doing my sub-frame and diff bushings. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.
    locally I just couldn't find one...I found a 3" ford axle that I used for the differential bushings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Great write-up.
    Can you tell which sizes powerflex bushings you needed for this?
    Here ya go:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/PW...0-422-E9X.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click this link before beggining for correct orientation (thanks to "SteveAZ" for bring this to my attention)

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/5-420fi.pdf

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Great idea, using the hole saw. Wish I could rep you again, Rob!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    OP, killer write up. I would rep you, but I don't have 100 rep point yet. Hint Hint

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    OP, killer write up. I would rep you, but I don't have 100 rep point yet. Hint Hint
    Got you an person above!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    Got you an person above!
    Thanks Rob..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Rob..
    ou are going to paint my calipers when you visit!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

ou are going to paint my calipers when you visit!Click here to enlarge
    We should media blast them and powder coat. Buy the kit at harbor freight and bake them in a toaster oven for 20 min @ 400* F. Can do the rotor hub also. They have high temp tape to tape off all the areas you don't want painted. Cool stuff. Much nicer than rattle can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Wow - awesome write up. How does the car feel with these bushings? I replaced some of mine, but didn't do the diff or trans mounts. I wanted to go with solid metal engine mounts, but was advised against it.

Does the car feel sharper/more responsive? Are the vibrations increased?

+1ed btw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I am getting a BBK more to likely...if not...I will go this route!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Wow - awesome write up. How does the car feel with these bushings? I replaced some of mine, but didn't do the diff or trans mounts. I wanted to go with solid metal engine mounts, but was advised against it.

Does the car feel sharper/more responsive? Are the vibrations increased?

+1ed btw
    Putting Wavetrac in tomorrow along with DFIV differential lock down kit and will report back!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Putting Wavetrac in tomorrow along with DFIV differential lock down kit and will report back!
    Good luck on the install. Have you already got the pumpkin setup or do you still need to install the Wavetrac into it? I found that removal of the carrier was harder than the re-install. Stock snap-rings put it at the correct backlash setting, though.

I think I might do the powerflex bushings instead of the M3 bushings or inserts if your review is positive (and not too back-breaking).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Good luck on the install. Have you already got the pumpkin setup or do you still need to install the Wavetrac into it? I found that removal of the carrier was harder than the re-install. Stock snap-rings put it at the correct backlash setting, though.

I think I might do the powerflex bushings instead of the M3 bushings or inserts if your review is positive (and not too back-breaking).
    I just took out the pumpkin and had thevwavetrac put in locally (I am bolted). The differential was not as heavy Asia thought it would be....I dropped the exhaust, driveshaft & pumpkin in about 2 hours....going to pick up the wavetrac in a about 1 hour. My buddy actually went from M3 to powerflex and said it sleds "clunky" and less vibrations....so I will report back! Keep in mine I will be installing the DEFIV lock down kit wich has old bushings so my suspension may be a bit stiffer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Nice. I fit my diff around/through my exhaust, which made it much harder; in retrospect, I should have just removed the exhaust. Good luck, but it should be pretty easy if you got it out already Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast