Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Famoso track day results

Hey guys,

Had a fun time today at the Famoso track day. Four of us from BMS went down to test and tune our cars. Jon, Jeff, and Jason, and myself.

They limited the day to 100 cars. But what we didn't know ahead of time was around half of those were dragsters. Each one took forever to run and half of them broke down. Total PITA. But weather was perfect in the 50s and traction was decent most of the day.

I raced the 2008 135i which has a JB4, RB turbos, the BMS flash, BMS downpipes, meth, E50 fuel, etc. In VBOX testing in 40 degree weather the car has been running 131mph so I expected it would trap in the 129-130mph range.

The issue with the car lately has been the factory automatic transmission. Specifically slippage in 2nd gear. With the new version of the BMS flash we have raised transmission line pressure which greatly helped on the road. So I had high hopes. But today at the track it was not quite enough for full boost in 2nd gear. Hitting 19psi shortly off a 2nd gear launch would cause the transmission to slip badly and upshift itself to 3rd right away. No fun at all. Click here to enlarge

So plan B was to use the JB4's boost limiting feature to limit 2nd gear boost to 16.75psi. And that did the trick. The lower boost levels combined with the higher line pressure from our flash allowed the trans to hold up to some 2nd gear launches. Unfortunately my 60' times really suffered. Partly from the lack of boost, partly from a lack of confidence in the transmission to hold up to a strong launch off the line. Regardless, still managed to run 11.146@129.48 on a soft 1.883 60' time. I did a few other runs all low 11s @ around the same MPH. Didn't get the 130mph or 10 second slip I was looking for but I know the car has it in it. Click here to enlarge

Jon, who recently dynod 450rw using factory turbos and E50, blew apart his chargepipe on his first run. Major bummer. Stronger BMS chargepipe is going in tomorrow.

Jeff, racing a E90 N55, actually did better than we all expected. He managed a killer 1.66 60' time on his way to a best of 12.2@111mph. He comes in at around 250#, his car is full weight, and he had a half tank of gas in it. Around half race gas, using map 7. He blew apart his factory chargepipe on his 3rd run, IIRC. BMS N55 chargepipe going in tomorrow, also.

Jason, racing a N55 135 struggled to launch the car and was stuck in the 13s most of the day. It was his first time racing it. I think he did finally manage a 12.7@110 by limiting boost in 1st and 2nd. He was grateful for the practice though. Click here to enlarge

Will post up some more photos, etc, later.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't wait to see a 10sec pass from the bms camp!
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait to have a 135i in my stable. I'd love a rb turbo'd 135i next to my m3.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent results Terry. Considering your problems with the AT, and the lower boost in 2nd I think the results are great. How many whp are you putting down with this config/setup? Is it me or does it seem to be somewhat under boost towards redline? I would have expected it to hold more psi at 6k+ when you're running meth?

Anyway, I'm only hitting 125-126 trap speeds on my Vbox with my RB'd e92 335i on E50, so your 135i is quite a bit faster still Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's awesome.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice runs Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great job. Figure out a tranny upgrade so you can beat Shiv and the non existent ST AT times. Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That 1/8 and 1/4 trap is disgusting!

What was your total race weight?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    Excellent results Terry. Considering your problems with the AT, and the lower boost in 2nd I think the results are great. How many whp are you putting down with this config/setup? Is it me or does it seem to be somewhat under boost towards redline? I would have expected it to hold more psi at 6k+ when you're running meth?

Anyway, I'm only hitting 125-126 trap speeds on my Vbox with my RB'd e92 335i on E50, so your 135i is quite a bit faster still Click here to enlarge
    Around 520rw. RB's struggle to hold 19psi at redline. But can produce 22-23psi @ peak HP if you want it. I've found minimal gains vs. 20psi though.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 02-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    That 1/8 and 1/4 trap is disgusting!

What was your total race weight?
    They did not have the track scales working so I'm not sure on that. I daily drive the car in the same trim so I'll swing by a scale one of these days and find out.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Great job. Figure out a tranny upgrade so you can beat Shiv and the non existent ST AT times. Click here to enlarge
    I've never seen a reported track time from a single turbo AT so not sure what to be gunning for there! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    <---jealous. Great traps and time.

Weird how these charge pipes are blowing up. I'm still on my stock charge pipe and pushing more boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    <---jealous. Great traps and time.

Weird how these charge pipes are blowing up. I'm still on my stock charge pipe and pushing more boost.
    It was a total jinx. I was telling them not to worry about it and that we would update them in a few weeks when we had more time. It was a major bummer for Jon especially who needed the MT seat time. It's no fun to wake up early, drive 140 miles, spend all the money to race, and have the car crap out on the first run. I'd strongly suggest you upgrade it. We have one for $229 that is a drop in fit. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm you were getting 5 degrees after shifts. Imagine full advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Around 520rw. RB's struggle to hold 19psi at redline. But can produce 22-23psi @ peak HP if you want it. I've found minimal gains vs. 20psi though.
    Cool, thanks Terry. I don't think I'd want to go much over 20 psi for daily driving anyway.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It was a total jinx. I was telling them not to worry about it and that we would update them in a few weeks when we had more time. It was a major bummer for Jon especially who needed the MT seat time. It's no fun to wake up early, drive 140 miles, spend all the money to race, and have the car crap out on the first run. I'd strongly suggest you upgrade it. We have one for $229 that is a drop in fit. Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I can defintely understand the frustration.

Thanks for the offer, but Vishnu is supposed to be sending me theirs. I've been lackadaisical with getting the ball rolling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Hmm you were getting 5 degrees after shifts. Imagine full advance.
    The DME decided to drop my normal timing targets by around 2 degrees across the board for some reason. At this boost level maybe it knows best. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn charge pipe! Sounds like it ruined the day. But at least there is a better option out there. I look forward to seeing you numbers with the new pipe.
    BMW 08 M5
    EuroCharged Tune
    Turner Pulley
    RPI Scoops, Afe filters
    ECS Stainless Brakelines
    ECS 12.5 Spacers
    V1 Hardwire
    Euro SMG

BMW X5 3.0i Sport. 330,220 miles & counting

Merc R63....Wife's Beast

540 Hp Family Hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great results! Charge pipe is really hit or miss on some cars. I'd rather have the piece of mind changing it out before it breaks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice runs T, with a 1.7 60' you are in 10s. Good to see BMS still owning the 1/4 mile scene Click here to enlarge
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Those damn stock chargepipes are so weak. What a $#@! plastic piece BMW created.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Now if this was a Vishnu ST thread some would say: only 0.1sec quicker and 4mph faster than the stock turbo setup on this same car and in better conditions? Is this upgrade even worth it? Click here to enlarge just sayin'

Terry, what did you do to confirm raised transmission line pressure?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best MPH stock turbo was 11.38 @ 125.24mph on a 1.83 60' time. Car was ~50# lighter then and used full power in all gears. Similar weather.

So if you look at just the best run from stock turbos and ignore the trans issues this time around then you're looking at around .23ths and 4.2mph gained.

The main difference was with the RBs it runs 129mph pretty much every single run. Back then it would average 123mph and hit 125mph only once after a good cool down. For example when it ran 11.2 the same day on a 1.6 60' it went only 122mph.

net/net you get around 60whp with RBs vs. factory turbos. At much as 70-80whp gains if you really push things with them. If going from ~123mph on average to ~129mph on average does not interest someone then I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to spend $3500. Click here to enlarge A single turbo seems to give 175whp maxed out with a steptronic but I've yet to see a single timeslip from one so can't tell you how it compares to RBs. To be worth the lack of torque, extra cost, etc, to me personally, I think it would need to run at least ~133mph+ in the same car, same conditions.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 02-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was just kidding with that ST comment, no need to explain it to me at all. I know the power to mph/et relationship on this platform quite well. On the ET there's quite a bit on the table, 10s with a good 60' BUT its starting to seem impossible to reach 10s with RBs unless building the 6AT tranny. 6MTs though might be able to do it with an awesome driver.

I do have a couple questions though. Do you feel this is a healthy tune for RB turbos given boost levels and would you recommend others race on similar settings? What was your WGDC 6-7k rpm? Have a wgdc/pwm log to share?

Lastly, have you confirmed raised transmission line pressure using some equipment or logging?
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think anyone is going to run 10s more than a few times on the factory automatic. Maybe with a valve body upgrade, etc, things will change. On the tuning overall everything was pretty stable so it seems OK to me. With things like this something could let go at any moment, though. Just the nature of the beast.

PWM was reasonable. I'm using pre-turbo injection as well (M3 in each cone, + CM12 in the chargepipe), which may have been helping on that front a bit.

On the trans pressure, yes have confirmed the pressure is now raised. It's an experimental addition to our flash so not interested in sharing any details on it. Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 02-10-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast