Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,217
    Rep Points
    6,741.9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Change the plugs to originals and ditch the NGK's?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    46
    Rep Points
    120.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    what ngk they put in?!
    5992?

    had they gapped them to 0,6 or 0,5 mm ??

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    sucks man. this is the worst part. diagnosing. you'll figure it out i'm sure. i've now said this story a few times on this board but maybe you didn't catch the threads they were posted in. you should check the injector clips, the metal ones, that each hold in a pair of injectors. if it (they) is(are) somewhat loose (or in my case, had a hairline crack in it) it will cause a misfire as the engine and rest of the injectors are torquing in sync but one is not and the car will throw a misfire. this may not be your problem as it seems multiple cylinders are misfiring but it's an easy enough check you could even do yourself. good luck.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah diagnosing this stuff is a $#@!! I ll tell the shop about these clips, double check they're ok.

    I might as well get a basic RB map @dzenno and send the cobb unit to the shop. To eliminate that the loaded Stage2+ map is causing this. Although it sounds unlikely.

    Sure enough, with grandma driving everything is ok...
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kollegga Click here to enlarge
    what ngk they put in?!
    5992?

    had they gapped them to 0,6 or 0,5 mm ??
    ZKBR7A-HTU, put in by my previous shop. Worked fine for a year.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    160
    Rep Points
    487.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Change the plugs to originals and ditch the NGK's?

    I bet thats at least part of the issue. There have been many documented cases of misfires with other than OE plugs.

    OP, just because you've had them before and they lasted a year, doesn't mean the new ones are good too. I'd continue diagnosing but keep that in mind.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    I bet thats at least part of the issue. There have been many documented cases of misfires with other than OE plugs.

    OP, just because you've had them before and they lasted a year, doesn't mean the new ones are good too. I'd continue diagnosing but keep that in mind.
    Yes but they've only replaced one plug. So that would not really explain the current misfire scenario on a few cylinders, and the misfires are not even all in the same bank.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    160
    Rep Points
    487.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Yes but they've only replaced one plug. So that would not really explain the current misfire scenario on a few cylinders, and the misfires are not even all in the same bank.
    Ah my apologies, I thought you had replaced all of them.


    The plot thickens.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    Ah my apologies, I thought you had replaced all of them.
    The plot thickens.
    I can ask to have six oem plugs put in. Wouldn't add too much to the overall costs... *sigh*

    Here s a summary of the events:

    - Car ran like a champ from spring to late summer.

    - Had misfires once or twice in cyl 6 during street driving. Didn't really troubleshoot as it happened not regularly.

    - Lost boost during a trackday. Underboost code. And bad O2 sensor precat bank 2.

    - Two months later, after little driving and not finding the issue, car started smoking bluish.

    - Pulled Procede out, broke power connector. Soldered back on.

    - Flashed Cobb st2+ maps and towed car to the shop to get RBs installed.

    - Shop discovers blown turbo. Puts in RBs, replaces O2 sensor. Car runs fine except misfires when accelerating hard from low rpms in 3rd or 4 th gear.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    ZKBR7A-HTU
    Hey, these plugs are the issue. These are not the recommended NGK 5992 plugs. I'd suggest replacing them IMMEDIATELY with either OEM Bosch or the right NGK 5992...see here for which/what/how:

    http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2013...m-ilzkbr7a-8g/

    I can't believe they used the ZKBR7A-HTU plugs!! Argh...those are from an E9x 320i!!!

    Make sure they gap them if they use the NGK 5992 to 0.022" (0.5588mm). If they just plug them in without gapping the car will run rough under WOT and misfire.

    You can drive your car on any OTS map with RBs. Going WOT is not recommended due to overboost and heavy throttle closures that will happen but this won't cause misfires.
    Click here to enlarge

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Hey, these plugs are the issue. These are not the recommended NGK 5992 plugs. I'd suggest replacing them IMMEDIATELY with either OEM Bosch or the right NGK 5992...see here for which/what/how:

    http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2013...m-ilzkbr7a-8g/

    I can't believe they used the ZKBR7A-HTU plugs!! Argh...those are from an E9x 320i!!!

    Make sure they gap them if they use the NGK 5992 to 0.022" (0.5588mm). If they just plug them in without gapping the car will run rough under WOT and misfire.

    You can drive your car on any OTS map with RBs. Going WOT is not recommended due to overboost and heavy throttle closures that will happen but this won't cause misfires.
    ok so I ll get oem plugs put in. The current shop noticed these NGK plugs were recommended for N53 engines.

    Thanks for all help so far!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    ok so I ll get oem plugs put in. The current shop noticed these NGK plugs were recommended for N53 engines.

    Thanks for all help so far!
    You're really lucky the car misfired and didn't make a piston pop...copper/hotter plugs than stock that the other shop put in Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    You're really lucky the car misfired and didn't make a piston pop...copper/hotter plugs than stock that the other shop put in Click here to enlarge
    Well it ran fine for a year and I put it through some trackdays... Running around 16 psi with the procede, no meth. Maybe the cobb asks for more boost and thus triggers the misfires faster? Just a guess.

    Anyway the past weeks have been horrible. Holding my breath until it's finally fixed! Damn damn damn
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Well it ran fine for a year and I put it through some trackdays... Running around 16 psi with the procede, no meth. Maybe the cobb asks for more boost and thus triggers the misfires faster? Just a guess.

    Anyway the past weeks have been horrible. Holding my breath until it's finally fixed! Damn damn damn
    I'm just glad they didn't ruin the motor...careful with shops out there people...
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    OMG, looks like it's FIXED!!!! Click here to enlarge

    Test drive with new plugs went fine!! Car is now idling to cool down. Shop will test if there are no more codes (no CEL or weird behaviour was noticed) and then IT'S GOOD TO GO Click here to enlarge

    I owe you guys big time!! Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,217
    Rep Points
    6,741.9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Great! Congrats.
    And ready to go just before the season starts Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    OMG, looks like it's FIXED!!!! Click here to enlarge

    Test drive with new plugs went fine!! Car is now idling to cool down. Shop will test if there are no more codes (no CEL or weird behaviour was noticed) and then IT'S GOOD TO GO Click here to enlarge

    I owe you guys big time!! Click here to enlarge
    Glad it worked
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Great! Congrats.
    And ready to go just before the season starts Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, still lots to do! PTF custom tune, dedicated transmission cooler, adjustable camber plates, harnesses... This track season will be awesome! Driving at Spa Francorchamps is top priority Click here to enlarge

    But first, I'll have to convince the GF to give me a ride to the shop ASAP. lol
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    But first, I'll have to convince the GF to give me a ride to the shop ASAP. lol
    hah. Glad everything worked out and it was an easy fix. Look forward to track footage from ya.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    hah. Glad everything worked out and it was an easy fix. Look forward to track footage from ya.
    Hehe I'll see how easy it was when the shop mails me the invoice this evening Click here to enlarge Quite a lot of road testing was involved... hopefully not all of it will show up on the bill. Afterall it's merely fun to drive the car around, not work Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Glad it worked
    nice catch Dzenno... glad you fixed your issue Autobahn!!
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    349
    Rep Points
    544.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Was it Raeder that put in the wrong plugs?

    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

    Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    nice catch Dzenno... glad you fixed your issue Autobahn!!
    I have no idea what they were thinking at that shop, simply careless...@Autobahn335i , consider yourself very lucky my friend
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    Was it Raeder that put in the wrong plugs?

    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Yes indeed.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •