The Alpina B7 got a horsepower bump as did every BMW N63 powered car (50i powered models, SUV's did not get the updated motor) thanks to the addition of Valvetronic and software changes. Alpina takes things a bit further with their upgraded turbochargers, intercoolers, and forged internals for an output of 540 horsepower over 445 horsepower of the 750i. This makes the Alpina B7 the closest thing to a BMW M7 that one can actually purchase since for now BMW thinks an M 7-Series does not fit the brand although SUV's somehow do.

Click here to enlarge

Regardless, Car and Driver got pretty good numbers out of the car. A 12.2@115 1/4 mile which is much better than the 12.6@113 MotorTrend achieved when the 2013 Alpina B7 was put up against the 2013 Audi S8 and quite simply crushed. This is thanks to this being the all wheel drive version so a better launch was possible. The weight difference is pretty substantial however with Car and Driver weighing the all wheel drive long wheelbase B7 at 5037 pounds versus MotorTrend getting 4712 for the rear wheel drive. Over 300 pounds, significant, which makes it impressive the car trapped higher despite the all wheel drive and weight penalty.

The car pulls an impressive .93g on the skidpad even with its heft. A very well tuned chassis by Alpina.

Car and Driver really liked the 2013 B7 but criticized the steering and feedback which is a shame. Is this car worth the premium of about $40-$50k over a standard 750i for a total of $146,845 as tested? Probably only if there isn't an Audi S8 next to it which is faster, more fun to drive, lighter, and cheaper.

Click here to enlarge