Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car burning oil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Car burning oil

So i know these cars burn oil its a hot twin turbo car its going to happen but i dont know if my car is burning more that average i replaced my oil at 65k and now im at 68k and it says oil at minimum please fill with 1 quart. Currently motul 300v power racing 5w30 is in the car. Is this rate normal or higher than average?
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Id say thats a bit much. My car is fbo, running e40 Cobb ptf map and I've got at least 10k miles since my last oil change and have only had to add 1 quart. Since adding a quart probably 3-4k miles ago I'm currently reading half way on my oil meter. I use the factory BMW oil, my car has 70k miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I go through 1 quart every 5k miles. Change oil every 10k.

Possibly did they not put the full amount in when it was changed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1qt usually every 3-4k and im guessing its due to faulty pcv... and some hard driving
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I with stock turbos and all modems used to make 11-12mil km

Now since I've been with rb I can only do 7-8 thousand km
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i did the change myself it was full when i did it. I drive my car very hard. So that may be part of the reason why.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am curious about this. My S54 burned almost nothing as far as oil goes - but this was pre-digital days, when I actually checked the levels myself - so maybe it was burning a bit more than nil. My S65 burned a bit when I first had it, but now seems to have leveled off - I might be down 1/2 a liter when I am at 5k miles.

However, turbo cars seem different based on what you guys have said. Why is the turbo a function of how much oil is burnt? Excuse the question if it's common google knowledge, just curious for firsthand knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I am curious about this. My S54 burned almost nothing as far as oil goes - but this was pre-digital days, when I actually checked the levels myself - so maybe it was burning a bit more than nil. My S65 burned a bit when I first had it, but now seems to have leveled off - I might be down 1/2 a liter when I am at 5k miles.

However, turbo cars seem different based on what you guys have said. Why is the turbo a function of how much oil is burnt? Excuse the question if it's common google knowledge, just curious for firsthand knowledge.
    i dont know the exact reason but i think its just that because of the turbos the oil gets hotter and thus burns quicker. Again thats just my thought

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    1qt usually every 3-4k and im guessing its due to faulty pcv... and some hard driving
    Same for me...about every 4k I refill a quart..then at 7k-7.5k I do an oil change...and by that time the car is asking for another quart or almost asking..

Been this way for 25k miles but turbos are still running hard..
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i must really beat the shlt out of my cars...

seems about normal to me if you are hard on her
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oil consumption will go up with hard driving. Just because someone puts in a quart every 7k and you do every 4k doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with your setup.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    i did the change myself it was full when i did it. I drive my car very hard. So that may be part of the reason why.
    Sounds like a leaky OEM PCV -- I'd look into the RB Upgrade and if you want, I can sell you mine. Just never got around to installing it & it's sitting in the same envelop Rob sent it to me in.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can go 10k before getting that warning. I drive pretty hard myself (I have over 140 logs from the past 3 months), but probably not as hard as you. I also cap boost at 17.5 and suspect my turbos are probably in a lot better condition than yours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Oil consumption will go up with hard driving. Just because someone puts in a quart every 7k and you do every 4k doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with your setup.
    Good to hear..!

On another note...Dzenno how does one diagnose if their pcv might possibly be leaking...wondering if I should get that RB pcv upgrade or just keep driving
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Good to hear..!

On another note...Dzenno how does one diagnose if their pcv might possibly be leaking...wondering if I should get that RB pcv upgrade or just keep driving
    Can't hurt to change it out. OEM is pretty flimsy
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like a leaky OEM PCV -- I'd look into the RB Upgrade and if you want, I can sell you mine. Just never got around to installing it & it's sitting in the same envelop Rob sent it to me in.
    i would say yes but i need to force myself to see the vargas setup or ill punch my self if they come out and are alot better not trying to start a turbo upgrade war just saying

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I can go 10k before getting that warning. I drive pretty hard myself (I have over 140 logs from the past 3 months), but probably not as hard as you. I also cap boost at 17.5 and suspect my turbos are probably in a lot better condition than yours.
    I hit 130 probably every day at least 130 if not hitting 150+ lol and when im not doing that im logging or wot around town all those number are in kph btw Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Can't hurt to change it out. OEM is pretty flimsy
    can some one point me in the direction of the process of fixing these ive never really looked into. I have a bms occ but its not full by any means i change it every oil change and it only fills to like the bottom first line of a red cup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can some one point me in the direction of the process of fixing these ive never really looked into. I have a bms occ but its not full by any means i change it every oil change and it only fills to like the bottom first line of a red cup
    The Rob Beck PCV Upgrade?

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15382

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    haha oh ok i thought you were talking about the turbo upgrade its self

pm me pricing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hit 130 probably every day at least 130 if not hitting 150+ lol and when im not doing that im logging or wot around town all those number are in kph btw Click here to enlarge
    You're kidding right? I do 100+mph to and from work. I understand what you're saying through. I am sure you're boosting more than I am and that will definitely affect oil consumption.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No need to do 130-150 on a daily basis lol. I have a lot more fun going 20-90 than 120-150
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cruise around usually 90-100, but nothing beats merging onto a highway and hammering through 2nd all the way to 4th. Weaving in & out of traffic is just tempting fate to bite you in the ass (especially when it's sub-40 here in the Tri-State)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    No need to do 130-150 on a daily basis lol. I have a lot more fun going 20-90 than 120-150
    I agree 100%

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im not doing this in 5 oclock traffic its on empty roads but in traffic im pretty conservative

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im not doing this in 5 oclock traffic its on empty roads but in traffic im pretty conservative
    I think anyone who does triple digits on a daily basis drives conservatively in traffic. If you don't you won't be around long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast