Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I had a surprise "buyer" ask me about my car (08 Auto FBO 135i) yesterday. I work at a car dealership, and I was talking with a buddy of mine who has an F30 335i, and while we were chatting, a random kid comes up and asks who the car is, and if its for sale. Being silly, I said $30k. He said okay, let you know when my settlement is final.

So I'm a little dumbfounded that he actually agreed, but if he does, thats a hefty profit.

TL;DR: I may be getting rid of my 135i, and getting into a used E92 M3. And I'm glad I saw this thread, because now I know to get a 2009! :]
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I know dct is the wave of the future, I just need to see how good it is. I've driven my father in laws f430 with the paddle shifters and it was fun, not sure what Ferrari calls it but if the dct is like that, I may have to get it...
    1st off, your father in law has great taste in cars. 2nd, the F430 has a single clutch gearbox, but since it's a Ferrari it prob gave DCT-like performance (perfect rev matching with a blip on downshifts, lightning quick upshifts, etc etc)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    I had a surprise "buyer" ask me about my car (08 Auto FBO 135i) yesterday. I work at a car dealership, and I was talking with a buddy of mine who has an F30 335i, and while we were chatting, a random kid comes up and asks who the car is, and if its for sale. Being silly, I said $30k. He said okay, let you know when my settlement is final.

So I'm a little dumbfounded that he actually agreed, but if he does, thats a hefty profit.

TL;DR: I may be getting rid of my 135i, and getting into a used E92 M3. And I'm glad I saw this thread, because now I know to get a 2009! :]
    Why does this never happen to me?! Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You'll be fine either way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    1st off, your father in law has great taste in cars. 2nd, the F430 has a single clutch gearbox, but since it's a Ferrari it prob gave DCT-like performance (perfect rev matching with a blip on downshifts, lightning quick upshifts, etc etc):
    good to know... Yes he's a Ferrari nut, has had 5 ferrari's in the 5 years I've dated my wife, only person that I know, besides @LostMarine , that switches cars so oftenClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

^nice! Yea looks like there are a good amount out there
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Where is this ACM dealership? How long or how many miles can you get out of a DCT?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Where is this ACM dealership? How long or how many miles can you get out of a DCT?
    ACM is in Fairlawn, a great group of guys, its more of a hobby than a job for them.

DCT is fairly reliable. I know firsthand, that it has limits. how soon you reach those limits is completely on how you treat the car. I know people that treat the trans like a turbo, and allow o reach operating temps before beating, and allow proper cooling before repeatedly beating and the trans holds up for 50k +miles supercharged.

On the other hand, you have some people that feel using LC again and again, while cold, and again and again until it limps, and then LC again and again just to chase an ET, and the dct $#@!s in less than 30k miles supercharged..

I do not know of any real issues for N/A DCT's though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

ACM = Autocouture Motoring

It's a great shop. I think the dct is pretty solid, it's not engineered for the power a supercharger makes, not really surprising that it can wear out or have issues.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

How long or how many miles can you get out of a DCT?
    The DCT can be fragile like the engine. If you cold start the car & start beating the $#@! out it, it's not gonna hold up. BUT if you take care of it, manually downshift instead of flooring it & letting the DME initiate a kickdown, it'll be completely fine. People are taking them up to 650 BHP and they're still holding together (with responsible owners).

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    The DCT can be fragile like the engine. If you cold start the car & start beating the $#@! out it, it's not gonna hold up. BUT if you take care of it, manually downshift instead of flooring it & letting the DME initiate a kickdown, it'll be completely fine. People are taking them up to 650 BHP and they're still holding together (with responsible owners).
    Question is, for how long? I don't abuse my cars cold. Always allow them to get up to operating temp before I get really into it. For the M though, I go one extra mile, and only begin beating on it, after a few slow shifting high rpm (around 6500-7k rpm) pulls to get the fluid really flowing; then I unleash the beast.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Question is, for how long? I don't abuse my cars cold. Always allow them to get up to operating temp before I get really into it. For the M though, I go one extra mile, and only begin beating on it, after a few slow shifting high rpm (around 6500-7k rpm) pulls to get the fluid really flowing; then I unleash the beast.
    The DCT software doesn't start cooling the DCT oil until 203 F (Pg 45 in the PDF I attached), so once you're in the area it's ready to romp. Assuming the engine & the DCT warm-up at the same rate (because there's no way to view the DCT temp unless you install an aftermarket gauge), then once you get full use of the RPMs (the orange section in the movable redline) and/or the engine oil temp hits 200, you're good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12