Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

2008 m3 problems...any?

So my car is getting parted out, I'm looking at m3's and I've found some nice, low mileage 08 m3's but I'm worried of any "first year" issues with the car. It will have a cpo warranty, so technically I guess I have nothing to worry about, but whatever m I get will only get 6k, if that, miles a year on it(bc I have a dd), so the extended cpo warranty won't get many miles on the car.

What do you guys think? Pay a little extra for 09-10 m3's or jump on a clean, low mileage 08 M?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

get the 09+

better idrive, less "chance" of bearing issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I was going to say something sarcastic but I didn't want to start another M3 vs the world thread haha!!!!

Only issue I'm aware of is the 08 rod bearing issue but that was only on SC cars. I think it's a pretty reliable car other than the minor BMW things that break.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Hmm you think? I found two 08 dct cars with less than 40k miles in good condition. VAC's car is a 08 and it seems to run fine...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Here is a pretty good long term test on a 2008 m3. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term-road-test

I'll look for a 09, but since the car will have factory warranty, I'm not to worried about a 08.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

post some links of what your looking at Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Why? Then someone will buy it! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Finally decided to pull the M3 trigger?? Like LM said, anything pre-'09 is susceptible to the rod bearing issue. VAC's car is an '08 (and supercharged, and heavily abused at track events), but you can beat they're changing the oil every 7.5k & regularly analyzing the oil for irregularities (IIRC, unusually high lead and/or copper levels in an oil analysis are a preemptive sign of bearing wear/failure).

Just look pre-LCI; between the iDrive, tail lights & OEM revised bearings, IMO it's worth spending a little extra coin for the peace of mind.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yup, car is getting parted out now, gonna take my time while its winter and look for a nice 09-10 e92m3.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I know it's like beating a dead horse..Click here to enlarge but dct or 6mt?

I love my 6mt in the 335, but the sound of that dct downshifting is sick, and I've never really driven one. Anyone regret getting the dct?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

stop by acm, they have a few you can take for a test drive,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I was there this morning but I don't want to drive in a supercharged one ha.... I mean I will, but I reaaaaly don't want to. I don't want the temptation. When I go pick up my stock 335 I'll get them to take me for a ride.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Car and driver picks the 6mt, although by a slim margin. Seems like the 6mt would be real fun with such a high revving, quick revving car

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I would choose the 6MT, personally, but ive never used a dual-clutch automatic before....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I love my 6mt in the 335, but the sound of that dct downshifting is sick, and I've never really driven one. Anyone regret getting the dct?
    Just look at AutoTrader or BMW Dealer's Online Inventory... I'm sure there are a few places nearby that have at least 1 DCT & 6MT car on their lot that you can test drive and get a real feel for. I know when I get bored every once in a while I'll hit up a 3rd party dealer and test drive a car (ex: the SMG M5 I took for a spin a couple weeks ago Click here to enlarge)

Like I said before, if I bought an E9x and knew aggressive supercharging was a possibility that I'd go with a 6MT -- Not as 1/4 mile friendly as the DCT, but you're not looking at $10k clutch replacement once it starts slipping.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yea I think the 6mt is the way to go, much more fun. I don't care about 1/4 times
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Just look at AutoTrader or BMW Dealer's Online Inventory... I'm sure there are a few places nearby that have at least 1 DCT & 6MT car on their lot that you can test drive and get a real feel for. I know when I get bored every once in a while I'll hit up a 3rd party dealer and test drive a car (ex: the SMG M5 I took for a spin a couple weeks ago Click here to enlarge)

Like I said before, if I bought an E9x and knew aggressive supercharging was a possibility that I'd go with a 6MT -- Not as 1/4 mile friendly as the DCT, but you're not looking at $10k clutch replacement once it starts slipping.
    The replacement cost is under 4000 dollars with labor - not 10 grand.

Yea I think the 6mt is the way to go, much more fun. I don't care about 1/4 times
    I would drive a DCT M3 before saying this - I really would - the 335is (although same hardware) is not even similar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Car and driver picks the 6mt, although by a slim margin. Seems like the 6mt would be real fun with such a high revving, quick revving car

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
    Again, drive one. This is the dumb American mentality of 6 years ago when the technology was "introduced". For some reason people people are willing to dismiss the extreme performance advantage for "fun" whatever this means. It makes absolutely no sense at all. You can still shift the car if you want, you just don't have a 3rd pedal. I don't understand this nonsense, we are the only country not willing to accept this technology because we have learned that it takes some kind of special skill to properly drive a 6mt. It's ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

not 100% sure on this but I have been told that the '09 and up DCT logic was reprogrammed hence it should be a bit better... what that means is beyond me.

I would get '09 because it's easier to find a DCT and then 100x better Idrive.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    not 100% sure on this but I have been told that the '09 and up DCT logic was reprogrammed hence it should be a bit better... what that means is beyond me.

Yeah, it wasn't mechanically upgraded, but the logic was changed. Most likely, any BMW dealer would happily upgrade everything to the latest version when you purchase the car. Make your deal (finalize) - and then mention it, every BMW I have purchased all firmware has been updated before purchase. Food for thought.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge

Definitely agree on the post-LCI M3 though; LED lighting (exterior bulbs, under the license plate, etc.), and the other touches are worth the refresh. The IDrive can be updated also, but things added to IDrive after the '11 model year (I think it's 2012+) cannot be added to anything prior. I think this includes the apps, streaming bluetooth music, internet connectivity updates, etc. - you can always purchase the new hardware though. I was looking into after driving a 335i while my M3 was getting some suspension work done, but it was about 600 dollars. Not worth it to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

@bobS

I think i have a buyer for the s/c, so ill be N/A soon hopefully, since my new car is up your way, i can let you take it for a spin like that.

at the very least, go find one at the dealer. im sure you can get a test drive in one of either if you tell them your trading your 335 in on it, its a common occurrence Also tell them you cant decide 6mt or dct, if they have both, they should let you drive both.. its an M, but not a lambo, no reason you cant put 15 miles on each..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I'll def drive both and see what it's like, from what I hear, the dct is awesome.

I dont get why people don't think a manual car is fun though, it's challenging and rewarding when you shift perfect, rev match, etc. You have more control over the car and feel more engaged.....this is a fact.

I know dct is the wave of the future, I just need to see how good it is. I've driven my father in laws f430 with the paddle shifters and it was fun, not sure what Ferrari calls it but if the dct is like that, I may have to get it...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Btw it's hard as hell to find a dct car, the majority of used m3's are manual.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

@LostMarine I'll take you up on that test drive, let me know
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast