Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Yet another N54 turbo upgrade from "Pure Turbos"

I tried searching, but didn't find anything. Have any of you guys heard of "Pure Turbos"? They seem to have upgrades for both the N54 and N55.

http://www.pureturbos.com/store/oem-...o-upgrade.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's a reason why you Google "Pure Turbos N54" and nothing comes up besides this website. There's also a reason why there's no "Projected HP Numbers" on this website.

Stick with the established RB Turbos or wait for the Vargas Turbos to go on sale to the public.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never heard of them, Vargas or RB's
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is their n55 upgrade.

Just look at their n54 upgrade:
    http://www.pureturbos.com/store/oem-...o-upgrade.html

And their +100whp claim from a compressor upgrade Click here to enlarge
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    There's a reason why you Google "Pure Turbos N54" and nothing comes up besides this website. There's also a reason why there's no "Projected HP Numbers" on this website.

Stick with the established RB Turbos or wait for the Vargas Turbos to go on sale to the public.
    With that mindset there will never be any progress, change, and other potential options. There's nothing wrong with a new comer into the game. How can you knock something without any solid info?...

Anyway, I was asking to see if anyone has heard of them before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We already know RBs exist and Vargas "almost" exist. No need to state the obvious people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if they're legit, send them an email.. they should have made them on a test car...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LuSt4Boost Click here to enlarge
    With that mindset there will never be any progress, change, and other potential options. There's nothing wrong with a new comer into the game. How can you knock something without any solid info?...

Anyway, I was asking to see if anyone has heard of them before.
    I'm not closed minded & there's nothing wrong with a new option entering the market, just like CB Performance is working on a single turbo kit, but it's a little skeptical when they're just a link on their website with no tech specs (there is a performance projection that says "+100 WHP"). The difference between RB, Vargas & CB Performance and Pure Turbos is that A) it's not like they've actively advertised or built up some degree of awareness that they're working on an aftermarket N54/N55 turbo option and B) it seems from looking through their website that they predominately focus on strictly retailing OEM-replacement turbos, some aftermarket options (specifically Precision Turbos of various sizes), but not complete aftermarket/performance turbo kits.

Like Flinchy said, if you're interested and wanna take a chance being the 1st to use the Pure Turbo upgrade, give them a call & see if they've actually got something in the R&D stage.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It says they are compressor wheel upgrade. We already know those setups don't perform as well as say an RB which is a compressor and turbine upgrade. Also there is something about billet compressor wheels that scares me. Not everything should be made out of billet and I think thin fast rotating pieces of metal are one of them for me. That's what my gut says anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like my gut was right:

Typically cast chunks of metal are not referred to as billet. They are typically referred to as ingots. Once the material is mechanically formed, then it typically becomes regarded as "billet."

Mechanically forming the material cause dislocations within the lattice structure which induces residual stress that helps reduce further deformation. More importantly however, mechanical deformation helps close voids in the material and voids account for the largest amount of weakness in a material as they act like micro stress risers that concentrate stress at the local level. A void essentially acts like the tip of a crack. Once you have a crack formed, it's only a mater of cycles until it fails.

Cast doesn't always mean it's bad though either. You can also use a process called HIP which is a process that uses extremely high fluid pressures to essentially "forge" the material by applying hydrostatic pressure to the external surfaces. I believe most of the compressor wheels from places like Garrett and Borg Warner undergo this process along with being vacuum or pressure cast to begin with. HIP and vacuum casting both greatly reduce the voids within the structure which dramatically improve the mechanical strength of the material. More importantly however, these processes also greatly reduce crack nucleation sites which means the fatigue life of the product is GREATLY improved.

As a counter argument, forging induces a great deal of residual stress. Tension residual stresses can easily form cracks as well, which this is pretty typical in 7000 series aluminum that often undergo stress induced cracking. Also, forging alone doesn't always improve the material structure. You can forge the material into a cube and then machine a compressor wheel. In this situation, the material isn't going to have a grain structure that is beneficial. You could forge it into near shape though which would provide favorable grain flow. I have no idea if the BW forged billet wheels are just forged chunks or actually forged into a near net shape before machining.

Finally, I believe most modern turbines in aerospace are actually single crystal double or triple melt titanium. VERY cool stuff, but definitely not forged. Single crystal grow allows a nearly discontinuous material lattice structure which is extremely strong as it is nearly void free and "defects" are almost entirely limited to other atoms from contaminant. Considering the double or triple melt processing, contaminates are likely very low.

I seemed to remember something about the structure not being correct if you forge and then machine out large differences in shape.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    It says they are compressor wheel upgrade. We already know those setups don't perform as well as say an RB which is a compressor and turbine upgrade. Also there is something about billet compressor wheels that scares me. Not everything should be made out of billet and I think thin fast rotating pieces of metal are one of them for me. That's what my gut says anyway.
    cant you have a billet of forged metal?

i believe most upper turbos are cnc billet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no reason to test the water on the n54 turbos, BUT, IIRC the N55 turbo could use some room for improvement, someone hop on it and see what its got

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All the people truly involved in the N54 turbo upgrade scene are already here. Never heard of them, no dyno, no customers, no representation anywhere, no pictures, nothing to see here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no company should be wasting time with compressor only upgrades for this car anymore. waste of time/money for the company and consumer
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    no company should be wasting time with compressor only upgrades for this car anymore. waste of time/money for the company and consumer
    Seems some companies disagree...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know from first hand experience and mine even had a billet wheel. The only way it makes sense is when the price is the same or barely higher than a set of stock turbos. otherwise it's a total waste of money when there are more full upgrades available

tony is doing it right keeping the price low on them. but either way the'll be disappointed when they could have bought the stage 2's
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Well said.

The only worthwhile benefit to buying a Stage 1 setup is the tech support aspect along with extended/goodwill warranty that could come about with them from a Vendor whereas if ANYTHING goes wrong with a new set you are on your own while a Vendor likely will throw you a freebie.

Also quality wastegate components are very important, material selection and dimensional improvements are critical. This is an area that is often overlooked, and even if not overlooked the test of time still has to determine whether the design decisions were wise ones.