Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

New 1/4 Mile Personal Best

I signed up for a drag strip rental that took place this past Sunday (Jan. 27, 2013), hoping for some cooler weather. The cooler weather didn't really happen, but I still had a good time. Even managed to get a new personal best.

Car Details: 2009 335i Coupe, Automatic transmission.
    Mods: JB4 (8/21/2012 firmware), BMS DCI, and about a 40% E85 mixed with 93 octane.
    All runs were started in 2nd gear with a brake boost.
    I got 21 runs in over the course of the day, letting the car cool for a while in between sets of hot laps. Heat soak was a big issue for me since I had over an hour drive to get to the track and am running the stock intercooler. Most runs were in the 12.4 - 12.6 range, with trap speeds between 106 and 111. The hot air was definitely slowing me down, though. Below are the three best runs of the day for me.

First run of the day ended up being the best. 12.173 @ 109.49 mph. Here's the slip:

Click here to enlarge

Although the slip says it was about a 2000 RPM start, it was probably closer to 2500 as I wasn't paying too much attention to it initially. The DA for this run was about 905 according to the Dragtimes calculator.

The two next best runs were the following:

12.337 @ 109.34 mph
    Click here to enlarge

and:

12.299 @ 111.55 mph
    Click here to enlarge

The DA on the 12.337 run was around 958 and the DA for the 12.299 run was around 1083.

Overall, the car did pretty well. There were a couple runs that seemed like they were going to go even better, but the car was getting hot and the IAT was getting up around 180 on the top end of the track. Next mod is definitely going to be an aftermarket intercooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice times considering the traps are somewhat low. I am hoping to break into the 11's this thursday now that my pro-tune is done. Any launch tips for me? Specifically how you you keep from spinning 2nd the entire gear.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what is your launch procedure those are pretty good 60' times? what tires are you on?
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you get any runs in against the Vishnu ST? Would have been a very close race Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Did you get any runs in against the Vishnu ST? Would have been a very close race Click here to enlarge
    Oh wow!
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Nice times considering the traps are somewhat low. I am hoping to break into the 11's this thursday now that my pro-tune is done. Any launch tips for me? Specifically how you you keep from spinning 2nd the entire gear.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    what is your launch procedure those are pretty good 60' times? what tires are you on?
    The tires are a cheap street tire: Falken Azenis PT722 A/S tires in 265/35/18.

I think my trap speeds are a bit low due to the high IAT after the 1/8th mile. The car feels like it isn't accelerating as quickly and the IAT quickly approaches 180*.

As for the launch technique, I turn off all traction control and put the car into manual mode and into second gear. I press the break down and start depressing the gas pedal until I get to around 2500 - 3000 RPM. (I will vary this depending on the track conditions, as I started to burnout on one run while I was staged as the track was getting a little slick towards the end of the day and I was unable to hook as I did earlier on.) Once I launch, I lift off of the brake and roll into full throttle quickly, but not just mashing the gas down. Be sure to avoid the kick down, as hitting that will ruin your run.

I saw him running and spoke to him a bit, but we did not line up. Would have been fun, but his car is much faster than mine (just look at the difference in trap speed). He was having issues with the launch and some other issues during the run. It sucks as I was looking forward to seeing his car run some good times and high trap speeds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All runs were done on Map 5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    I saw him running and spoke to him a bit, but we did not line up. Would have been fun, but his car is much faster than mine (just look at the difference in trap speed). He was having issues with the launch and some other issues during the run. It sucks as I was looking forward to seeing his car run some good times and high trap speeds.
    I'm thinking you would have been ahead for most of the run and he would reel you in at the very last moment right before the finish. His traps were high, but his ETs were right around yours ;P
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That ET is ridiculous for the low trap speed. Definitely get an intercooler on there and it should help out immensely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I forgot to add that I weighed the car at the track. Came in at 3,532 lbs without me, and 3,732 lbs with me in it. I had a 1/4 tank of gas in the car.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    That ET is ridiculous for the low trap speed. Definitely get an intercooler on there and it should help out immensely.
    It will definitely be my next mod. I just need to figure out which one would resist heat soak the best, and recover fastest. I swear I could feel the car accelerating slower on the back half of the track than it was in the 1/8th mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice runs, same exact 60' as that lightning, crazy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not bad feels like you need downpipes though if you want that 11. And some better DA of course.

60 foot is not bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You ATs make me sad. :p

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not bad feels like you need downpipes though if you want that 11. And some better DA of course.

60 foot is not bad.
    Downpipes are in the planned mods as well. Going to go with an upgraded FMIC first though to see what it does for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You ATs make me sad. :p
    Haha, yeah. It's really easy to launch this car with the auto transmission.