Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to ESS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

15 out of 15 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Farewell to ESS

I've purchased three significant products from ESS.
    Year 2004: Supercharger kit for my '03 330xi.
    Year 2010: Naturally aspirated tune for my current car, an '06 M3 Coupe.
    Year 2012: Supercharger kit for my '06 M3 Coupe.

The hardware for the s/c kits has been good. The software for the current s/c kit has been good.
    The software for the 2004 kit was incorrect, and the software for the 2010 NA tune was bad. More detail to follow.

I bought the current s/c kit in March, 2012. Ran it for several thousand miles; things were fine.
    In September, 2012, I decided to try a maf-less s/c tune from Evolve. I paid Evolve the going rate for the service.
    No one has given me anything, no one has discounted anything for me. This is true for both ESS and Evolve products.

For the current s/c kit, I have never had to make, and never have made, a warranty claim to ESS.
    When I uploaded the Evolve file, I knew I never would make a warranty claim to ESS; and that is not a problem for me.

About three weeks ago, I started to receive e-mails from Asbjorn, telling me he knew I had a 'custom' tune from Evolve.
    He wanted to know if the tune produced more power, and wrote some pretty nasty things about Sal, warning me that I had better not be advocating their products.
    I'm not a representative for any vendor. I'm a person who likes the E46 M3, and enjoy doing various modifications to the car.
    It was disturbing to be reading this kind of note, initiated by ESS.

A few days later, ESS sent me their get-out-of-town notes.
    From Asbjorn: "Needless to say, all warranty and support from ESS on your kit is eliminated by running what is most likely unsafe 3rd party software."
    From Roman: "You will not get any software updates on your kit or any level of support from ESS now that you have modified the kit and had a 3rd party tune the ECU. We have been very clear on this policy with our products from the beginning. This policy has been in place for a very long time and applies to all customers. "

I've paid for the ESS product, and made no warranty claims. All risk to my car is borne by me, not them.
    If I choose to run another tuner's software and my engine blows; that's my problem, not ESS.
    By the way, if I ran just Asbjorn's software and my engine blew, I'm sure he and Roman would view it as my problem and not theirs.
    This is because the ESS warranty does not cover anything except their items; so no surprise here.

During the past few years, the aftermarket tuning world has evolved significantly; for the better.
    There are some talented tuners and a number of remote flash options.
    With these opportunities, people are going to be more inclined to try these products.
    And, the market activity speaks for itself. The best products will be more in demand than others.

If ESS were truly confident in their software products, they would encourage customers who have already purchased their kits and E-Flash to try their latest and greatest.
    In fact, those customers who are experimenting with other tuner's software would be the most significant testimony as to the quality of the product.
    Instead, ESS initiates baiting, threatening, bad-mouthing notes to me. Sad, really. It's as if they feel threatened somehow.

Earlier, I mentioned two examples of incorrect and bad software from ESS.
    The real issue here was not the software itself; nobody's perfect. The real issue was how ESS behaved towards the customer.

2004 s/c kit for my '03 330xi: I keep getting a CEL for a slightly lean condition at low RPM. We reset, and within 50 miles, another CEL for the same thing.
    We've confirmed no boost or vacuum leaks. Asbjorn says it must be a bad MAF. I replace the MAF, same result.
    He finally has me send him the ECU again. When I pull the ECU to ship, I see the tag from ESS showing v.109, which is for 93 AKI fuel.
    I had made it clear on the initial order that I had 91 AKI fuel, not 93. Asbjorn insists that the problem is not the version he loaded; it just needs to be richened up a bit.
    When I get the ECU back from Oslo, the replacement ESS sticker shows v.108 custom. v.108 is for 91 AKI fuel.
    Seems clear to me: ESS initially loaded the wrong version, the 93 AKI tune. It showed on the sticker.
    Asbjorn never once acknowledged an incorrect software load. I spent several hundred dollars needlessly replacing an MAF when the problem was the loaded version.
    Seemed arrogant.

2010 NA tune for my '06 M3 Coupe: During year 2010 there were a number of forum members with good feedback about this tune.
    At that time, you still had to send the ECU to ESS, now with an office in Phoenix. I bite.
    The first thing I noticed was that the engine was coughing/bucking as I decelerated down through 2,100 RPM. Power off, decelerating in gear.
    Didn't have that symptom before.
    The other thing I found was that my cruise control no longer engaged. Roman and Asbjorn insisted that there was nothing wrong with their software.
    They said it had to be that my cruise control hardware was failing in some way.
    I spent several hundred dollars of indy shop diagnostic time, and we found no hardware failures. ESS continued to insist it wasn't their product at fault.
    Finally, I took the car to a dealership and had the ECU flashed back to stock.
    Immediately, my cruise control engages, and the engine smoothly decelerates down through 2,100 RPM.
    When I report this to Roman and Asbjorn, they still do not acknowledge that their software was the cause. Seemed even more arrogant.
    Instead, they want me to ship my ECU to them again for a flash. I declined.
    I've since come across another former ESS customer who experienced the very same kind of thing with their former ESS NA tune.
    Makes me wonder if there were others.

You may ask; why did you buy another s/c kit from ESS? A reasonable question.
    I did so because I thought a FMIC air-to-air system would have fewer moving parts than a water-to-air setup, and would be less prone to failure or maintenance.
    Also, at the time, ESS had the E-Flash arrangement, for an extra sum of money. The idea of not shipping my ECU somewhere was appealing.
    Finally, there are a number of folks who are quite satisfied with their ESS s/c kit.

Bottom line:
    I've enjoyed the VT2-500 kit, and it ran fine with the ESS file.
    I've had positive NA tuning experience with Evolve, and decided to try their file for maf-less s/c. I think the kit runs better with the Evolve file.
    I've paid ESS for their product, and paid Evolve for theirs. No one has given or discounted anything to me.
    I accepted any risk to the engine and driveline components; with both the ESS and Evolve files.

Asbjorn and Roman could have taken an approach that would have encouraged me to continue to try their software.
    This would have been at no risk to them because there was no more so-called warranty in place anyway.
    Instead, they chose to initiate baiting, threatening, and bad-mouthing letters to me, seeming to behave as if their software is the only game in town.
    These days, it's not.

I wonder if the way ESS operates just might become less and less attractive to potential buyers.
    Time will tell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great write up. Any difference in the MAF-less tune. I'm going to research more on Alpha-N.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    What a bunch of d-bags and what a shame for them to act that way.
    s54door

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice writeup @normcaldwell. +1 rep for you.

It is a shame a company with a fine hardware lineup behaves as they do. I vowed to not spend my dough on ESS after my N/A tune hassle as well.

Only in the BMW tuning world does the hardware manufacturer believe they have the "sole unalienable right" to tune their hardware. When in fact, it is the norm for many car markets to purchase your turbo/Supercharger kit from one company, and be tuned by another. Whatever tuner is making the most out of the platform at the time will win the majority of the tuning market. Makes sense to me. None of the vendors get butthurt there...so what's the deal with ESS?

And as Norm correctly stated, what is the advantage with sticking to ESS software?

-A meaningless warranty? If his engine blew, AJ and Co. will not be purchasing a new S54 for Norm's 7 year old car. Let's be serious.
    -Crappy power (in comparison to Evolve)?
    -Arrogant customer service?

Easy choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great Write up As others have said! Do you dare post it in M3&^*%

We have tuned tons of Ess s/c Cars in the past and most recently one of their e39 m5's Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 01-28-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Repped, thanks for the writeup.
    Scare tactics and emails like that are not the way to treat customers, it's like digging a hole for themselves.
    Personally i had nothing but awesome customer support from Ess so far. Looking forward to receive similar emails once i go with a custom tuneClick here to enlarge
    I have already a smaller pulley ready to be installed, just have to make up my mind who's gonna do the tuning(it's not gonna be Ess btw). Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    If I choose to run another tuner's software and my engine blows; that's my problem, not ESS.
    By the way, if I ran just Asbjorn's software and my engine blew, I'm sure he and Roman would view it as my problem and not theirs.
    This is because the ESS warranty does not cover anything except their items; so no surprise here.
    Best part of the article.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    I've paid for the ESS product, and made no warranty claims. All risk to my car is borne by me, not them.
    What is so hard to understand here? Exactly how it should be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Only in the BMW tuning world does the hardware manufacturer believe they have the "sole unalienable right" to tune their hardware.
    Only in the BMW world and only with a certain company...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great writeup Norm. Things like this shouldn't be overlooked. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

-TZ
    09' M3 AA Gen 2 Level 2 S/C
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    01' C5 Z06- White, FBO+Cam
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    08' E82 135i- Sapphire Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' E90 335i 6-Speed- Blk
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Blk Raven
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    What I think is really unfortunate is that the individuals have decided to side-step the company's objective and take their personal anger and frustration out on a customer of that company. In the operations of any other company I've seen, said employee behavior would be grounds for termination, immediate and no questions asked.

All very interesting and thanks for sharing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 Click here to enlarge
    What I think is really unfortunate is that the individuals have decided to side-step the company's objective and take their personal anger and frustration out on a customer of that company. In the operations of any other company I've seen, said employee behavior would be grounds for termination, immediate and no questions asked.

I completely agree with this.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Love the write up. Truth really does hurt haha. It's sad you pretty much got harassed by them after you got the Evolve tune. You knew the consequences and manned up. They're just pissed they don't know how to tune and treat customers.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 Click here to enlarge

I'm pretty sure Asbjorn is the owner of ESS.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Great Write up and info. EVOLVE def know what their doing and ESS is just pissed as EVOLVE figured out what tey couldnt in years.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't actually know but have always assumed he has at least some percentage ownership in the company.

I was speaking more to a theoretical situation but, yes, its all the more disappointing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll defend what ESS did. Especially in the FI'd BMW world, these kit producers have a lot on the line. Lots of R&D and start up costs so you have to sell quite a few kits to make some money. One engine blow up? You must KNOW that you're name will be all over the internet. Company or customer fault...its out there and people will make assumptions. Especially ones that are not well informed on FI. I would have and did. IF the OP's 330 blew up with an ESS kit and Evolve software...you better believe that ESS' reputation would have taken a hit. So what ESS is trying to do is protect their reputation which I think is an excellent idea. Their approach totally sucked. They should put some lock on the ECU...makes you come crawling back to ESS for anything.

Overall, customer service in the BMW FI world is hit and miss and turned into a glut of marketing and hype. I've learned my lesson...won't be making that mistake again. Not saying I won't be FI'd ever again either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive dealt with a lot of FI companies.. only one behaves this way

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure Asbjorn is the owner of ESS.
    What a shame.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    I'll defend what ESS did. Especially in the FI'd BMW world, these kit producers have a lot on the line. Lots of R&D and start up costs so you have to sell quite a few kits to make some money. One engine blow up? You must KNOW that you're name will be all over the internet. Company or customer fault...its out there and people will make assumptions. Especially ones that are not well informed on FI. I would have and did. IF the OP's 330 blew up with an ESS kit and Evolve software...you better believe that ESS' reputation would have taken a hit. So what ESS is trying to do is protect their reputation which I think is an excellent idea. Their approach totally sucked. They should put some lock on the ECU...makes you come crawling back to ESS for anything.

Overall, customer service in the BMW FI world is hit and miss and turned into a glut of marketing and hype. I've learned my lesson...won't be making that mistake again. Not saying I won't be FI'd ever again either.
    If his engine blew while running ESS hardware and Evolve tuning, Evolve would be the company to lose reputation, not ESS.

Poor tuning is what usually causes engine failures.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge

Good points, and I agree to an extent. I think ESS has a serious interest in ensuring their kit isn’t attached to an engine that fails, even if it’s due to modified tuning. Third party tuning puts them at risk, and they have nothing to gain from their customers going that route. Either the engine will make more power and cause everyone to question ESS’s tuning ability, or it will lose power, at which point you have a car with an ESS kit attached to it that doesn’t make the advertised power. Or, it will blow up. If an engine were to fail (tuning or otherwise), the customer will seek to have someone else foot the repair bill. The tuner will point to ESS, and ESS will point to the tuner. Then an angry customer will get on the forums ranting about how their ESS-equipped car had a catastrophic failure and ESS won’t pay up… it’s lose/lose for ESS.

Does anyone REALLY think that the masses on the other forums would dig deep enough to differentiate an ESS-tuned car from one with third party software? Do you have faith that the customer will include that little bit of info when he’s complaining about how his ESS-supercharged car grenaded? These are the same forums where a 16 year old kid inherits his parents’ 323ci and thinks it’s been sprinkled with Bavarian fairy dust, so he puts on an M badge and calls it an “M sport”, and his wet dreams of a FI M3 lead him to inject his opinion in every FI M3 thread… while his baseless posts show up in google searches for “ESS Tuning supercharger for a BMW M3.” People regurgitate information here, but it’s nothing compared to the mother birding that goes on everywhere else. And who knows what kind of $#@! meal that first bird ate, and what moderator is pulling the strings to swing popular opinion in favor of the sponsors.

I have lurked here more than posted, but I can recognize the members here are more technically adept than any other BMW forum (although Zpost does have a high quality member base on the Z4 side). Regardless of how much you may know about forced induction, you can only run one kit at a time per car. To a tuning company, your purchase is one data point. Your $8k for a kit is just as good as anyone else’s $8k, and forum reputation weighs heavily on the amount of kits sold. Negative information on a kit, warranted or not, can make the difference between a sale and a pass. A car with an ESS supercharger that blows up WILL affect ESS sales. While the Evolve tune may be near perfection, someone less skilled may ride in on Evolve’s tailcoat and offer an amateurish tune that’s dangerous, but people will opt for it simply because they know what’s possible with a third party tune on ESS hardware. Then multiple ESS cars fail, the tuner changes his name, and ESS has a mess to clear up.

That being said, it’s totally inexcusable to go the route ESS has with threatening customers and spreading absolutely false information about the competition. I chose VF Engineering for my Z4 3.0i because they were the right price at the right time. I would have gone with ESS if I would have had the money at the time, and thank God I didn’t. I chose an Active tune for my Z4M, and now a G-Power SK I, because the ESS kit will only run with Euro headers. Funny, I actually picked up some mint Supersprint V1 stepped headers for $450 shipped because the frustrated seller couldn’t get them to work with his ESS-tuned NA Z4M (primary O2 code ŗ SES light). ESS will never get a dime from me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pokeybritches Click here to enlarge
    Good points, and I agree to an extent. I think ESS has a serious interest in ensuring their kit isn’t attached to an engine that fails, even if it’s due to modified tuning. Third party tuning puts them at risk, and they have nothing to gain from their customers going that route. Either the engine will make more power and cause everyone to question ESS’s tuning ability, or it will lose power, at which point you have a car with an ESS kit attached to it that doesn’t make the advertised power. Or, it will blow up. If an engine were to fail (tuning or otherwise), the customer will seek to have someone else foot the repair bill. The tuner will point to ESS, and ESS will point to the tuner. Then an angry customer will get on the forums ranting about how their ESS-equipped car had a catastrophic failure and ESS won’t pay up… it’s lose/lose for ESS.

Does anyone REALLY think that the masses on the other forums would dig deep enough to differentiate an ESS-tuned car from one with third party software? Do you have faith that the customer will include that little bit of info when he’s complaining about how his ESS-supercharged car grenaded? These are the same forums where a 16 year old kid inherits his parents’ 323ci and thinks it’s been sprinkled with Bavarian fairy dust, so he puts on an M badge and calls it an “M sport”, and his wet dreams of a FI M3 lead him to inject his opinion in every FI M3 thread… while his baseless posts show up in google searches for “ESS Tuning supercharger for a BMW M3.” People regurgitate information here, but it’s nothing compared to the mother birding that goes on everywhere else. And who knows what kind of $#@! meal that first bird ate, and what moderator is pulling the strings to swing popular opinion in favor of the sponsors.

I have lurked here more than posted, but I can recognize the members here are more technically adept than any other BMW forum (although Zpost does have a high quality member base on the Z4 side). Regardless of how much you may know about forced induction, you can only run one kit at a time per car. To a tuning company, your purchase is one data point. Your $8k for a kit is just as good as anyone else’s $8k, and forum reputation weighs heavily on the amount of kits sold. Negative information on a kit, warranted or not, can make the difference between a sale and a pass. A car with an ESS supercharger that blows up WILL affect ESS sales. While the Evolve tune may be near perfection, someone less skilled may ride in on Evolve’s tailcoat and offer an amateurish tune that’s dangerous, but people will opt for it simply because they know what’s possible with a third party tune on ESS hardware. Then multiple ESS cars fail, the tuner changes his name, and ESS has a mess to clear up.

That being said, it’s totally inexcusable to go the route ESS has with threatening customers and spreading absolutely false information about the competition. I chose VF Engineering for my Z4 3.0i because they were the right price at the right time. I would have gone with ESS if I would have had the money at the time, and thank God I didn’t. I chose an Active tune for my Z4M, and now a G-Power SK I, because the ESS kit will only run with Euro headers. Funny, I actually picked up some mint Supersprint V1 stepped headers for $450 shipped because the frustrated seller couldn’t get them to work with his ESS-tuned NA Z4M (primary O2 code ŗ SES light). ESS will never get a dime from me.
    This is such a great post. With it being your first and only post, I have great respect for you already.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good points, and I agree to an extent. I think ESS has a serious interest in ensuring their kit isnít attached to an engine that fails, even if itís due to modified tuning. Third party tuning puts them at risk, and they have nothing to gain from their customers going that route. Either the engine will make more power and cause everyone to question ESSís tuning ability, or it will lose power, at which point you have a car with an ESS kit attached to it that doesnít make the advertised power. Or, it will blow up. If an engine were to fail (tuning or otherwise), the customer will seek to have someone else foot the repair bill. The tuner will point to ESS, and ESS will point to the tuner. Then an angry customer will get on the forums ranting about how their ESS-equipped car had a catastrophic failure and ESS wonít pay upÖ itís lose/lose for ESS.

Does anyone REALLY think that the masses on the other forums would dig deep enough to differentiate an ESS-tuned car from one with third party software? Do you have faith that the customer will include that little bit of info when heís complaining about how his ESS-supercharged car grenaded? These are the same forums where a 16 year old kid inherits his parentsí 323ci and thinks itís been sprinkled with Bavarian fairy dust, so he puts on an M badge and calls it an ďM sportĒ, and his wet dreams of a FI M3 lead him to inject his opinion in every FI M3 threadÖ while his baseless posts show up in google searches for ďESS Tuning supercharger for a BMW M3.Ē People regurgitate information here, but itís nothing compared to the mother birding that goes on everywhere else. And who knows what kind of $#@! meal that first bird ate, and what moderator is pulling the strings to swing popular opinion in favor of the sponsors.

I have lurked here more than posted, but I can recognize the members here are more technically adept than any other BMW forum (although Zpost does have a high quality member base on the Z4 side). Regardless of how much you may know about forced induction, you can only run one kit at a time per car. To a tuning company, your purchase is one data point. Your $8k for a kit is just as good as anyone elseís $8k, and forum reputation weighs heavily on the amount of kits sold. Negative information on a kit, warranted or not, can make the difference between a sale and a pass. A car with an ESS supercharger that blows up WILL affect ESS sales. While the Evolve tune may be near perfection, someone less skilled may ride in on Evolveís tailcoat and offer an amateurish tune thatís dangerous, but people will opt for it simply because they know whatís possible with a third party tune on ESS hardware. Then multiple ESS cars fail, the tuner changes his name, and ESS has a mess to clear up.

That being said, itís totally inexcusable to go the route ESS has with threatening customers and spreading absolutely false information about the competition. I chose VF Engineering for my Z4 3.0i because they were the right price at the right time. I would have gone with ESS if I would have had the money at the time, and thank God I didnít. I chose an Active tune for my Z4M, and now a G-Power SK I, because the ESS kit will only run with Euro headers. Funny, I actually picked up some mint Supersprint V1 stepped headers for $450 shipped because the frustrated seller couldnít get them to work with his ESS-tuned NA Z4M (primary O2 code ŗ SES light). ESS will never get a dime from me.

i have yet to hear of anything other than bmw, where software MUST accompany hardware.. noone locks a customer into tuning the car proprietorially just because they have a manifold and bracket on there.. thats all ess developed right..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good points, and I agree to an extent. I think ESS has a serious interest in ensuring their kit isnít attached to an engine that fails, even if itís due to modified tuning. Third party tuning puts them at risk, and they have nothing to gain from their customers going that route. Either the engine will make more power and cause everyone to question ESSís tuning ability, or it will lose power, at which point you have a car with an ESS kit attached to it that doesnít make the advertised power. Or, it will blow up. If an engine were to fail (tuning or otherwise), the customer will seek to have someone else foot the repair bill. The tuner will point to ESS, and ESS will point to the tuner. Then an angry customer will get on the forums ranting about how their ESS-equipped car had a catastrophic failure and ESS wonít pay upÖ itís lose/lose for ESS.

Does anyone REALLY think that the masses on the other forums would dig deep enough to differentiate an ESS-tuned car from one with third party software? Do you have faith that the customer will include that little bit of info when heís complaining about how his ESS-supercharged car grenaded? These are the same forums where a 16 year old kid inherits his parentsí 323ci and thinks itís been sprinkled with Bavarian fairy dust, so he puts on an M badge and calls it an ďM sportĒ, and his wet dreams of a FI M3 lead him to inject his opinion in every FI M3 threadÖ while his baseless posts show up in google searches for ďESS Tuning supercharger for a BMW M3.Ē People regurgitate information here, but itís nothing compared to the mother birding that goes on everywhere else. And who knows what kind of $#@! meal that first bird ate, and what moderator is pulling the strings to swing popular opinion in favor of the sponsors.

I have lurked here more than posted, but I can recognize the members here are more technically adept than any other BMW forum (although Zpost does have a high quality member base on the Z4 side). Regardless of how much you may know about forced induction, you can only run one kit at a time per car. To a tuning company, your purchase is one data point. Your $8k for a kit is just as good as anyone elseís $8k, and forum reputation weighs heavily on the amount of kits sold. Negative information on a kit, warranted or not, can make the difference between a sale and a pass. A car with an ESS supercharger that blows up WILL affect ESS sales. While the Evolve tune may be near perfection, someone less skilled may ride in on Evolveís tailcoat and offer an amateurish tune thatís dangerous, but people will opt for it simply because they know whatís possible with a third party tune on ESS hardware. Then multiple ESS cars fail, the tuner changes his name, and ESS has a mess to clear up.

That being said, itís totally inexcusable to go the route ESS has with threatening customers and spreading absolutely false information about the competition. I chose VF Engineering for my Z4 3.0i because they were the right price at the right time. I would have gone with ESS if I would have had the money at the time, and thank God I didnít. I chose an Active tune for my Z4M, and now a G-Power SK I, because the ESS kit will only run with Euro headers. Funny, I actually picked up some mint Supersprint V1 stepped headers for $450 shipped because the frustrated seller couldnít get them to work with his ESS-tuned NA Z4M (primary O2 code ŗ SES light). ESS will never get a dime from me.
    Nice to see you post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Ive dealt with a lot of FI companies.. only one behaves this way
    Well...I think all FI companies are territorial. I know AA wasn't too happy to find out that I put on a Kenny Bell blower when my OPCON Twinscrew got damaged from an engine blow up.

Spotty bad customer service? I think that is the norm with a couple of exceptions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    What a shame.

If his engine blew while running ESS hardware and Evolve tuning, Evolve would be the company to lose reputation, not ESS.

Poor tuning is what usually causes engine failures.
    Totally disagree. I just takes one picture for someone to link the blow up with ESS. Then the details kind of get filled in by the peanut gallery. Then the irreversable damage is done unless you have a time machine. The internets is great at confusing facts and opinions. Its mostly because PEOPLE don't f'ing read.

For example, try to sell something on E46Fanatics.com in the part out section. I clearly state..."Only selling the parts listed"...I get requests for my windshield (not listed), door seals and other vital parts to the car which are clearly not listed. Then 99% of the time I'll list my paypal address in the FS: thread...what do I get??? What's your PP?

So you take that and apply it to a panicky and pissed off owner or a bystander in an FI blow up and you'll quickly see how it adds up to mass confusion and base (sometimes -less) tuner bashing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast