Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I don't want to move brands....I don't want a 10 year old Porsche, and the rs5 doesn't impress me. The c63 4 door doesnt do it for me either in the styling dept, I just don't think it looks that special. When spending 45-55k ...To me, the m3 is still king..
    Besides AMG car, if Audi where to put their new "UNDERATED" Audi V8 4.0 TFSI "PLUS" w/9.3:1cr 520hp version (it's more like 580hp) into some coupe 2dr for USA or the World. It will be a very nice RS Quattro coupe with just as good potential as the AMG M278/M157 Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Besides AMG car, if Audi where to put their new "UNDERATED" Audi V8 4.0 TFSI "PLUS" w/9.3:1cr 520hp version (it's more like 580hp) into some coupe 2dr for USA or the World. It will be a very nice RS Quattro coupe with just as good potential as the AMG M278/M157 Click here to enlarge.
    I don't know why Audi doesn't do it. Even the S6/S7 motor would be awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Based on what we are seeing from BMW, not really.

No offense, but BMW M3 will again dominate over AMG and RS4 alternatives.

As for the efficient dynamics comment we saw earlier from benzy: I think you are looking at things from the wrong perspective. You ABSOLUTELY WANT efficient dynamics mentality in the M cars. Why: because efficient dynamics is about making more power with less fuel consumption.

Guess what: I would not mind an electrical motor to help pull the car out of the curves before the turbos give me a full boost. Think Porsche 918 with the hybrid electric drive! Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly, the S6/S7 4.0TFSI non-PLUS version 10:1cr, have a few engine changes & block compared to the PLUS version as used in the current S8 & new Bentley V8 8spd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Based on what? The other two getting better and M getting worse?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Because all of the AUDI chassis are designed as FWD first and AWD second. This dictates positions of subframes, suspension geometry, position of engine bay firewall and pretty much the entire packaging of the car.

Audi has a better shot at advancing the R8 mid-engine platform and generate a smaller, nimbler and cheaper variants of the R8.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, the S6/S7 4.0TFSI non-PLUS version 10:1cr, have a few engine changes & block compared to the PLUS version as used in the current S8 & new Bentley V8 8spd.
    Plus top mounted turbos...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Based on what? The other two getting better and M getting worse?

Based on history. For an example, Audi had FULL 4 $#@!ing years to develop their B7 RS4 model after the E90 M3 was out. Guess what: the M3 is still better than a car that was released 4 years later.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To put this thread back on topic:

If the S55 rumors are true: then I am really hoping to be able to ravage the M parts bin for an upgraded HPFP, injectors and LPFP for our N54 cars.

The rest of the F80 M3 they can keep, especially considering the projected starting price.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Based on history. For an example, Audi had FULL 4 $#@!ing years to develop their B7 RS4 model after the E90 M3 was out. Guess what: the M3 is still better than a car that was released 4 years later.
    Yes but the S4 raised the bar significantly and we will have a new B9 RS4 soon enough. And it may have a twin turbo V8 like the C63.

BMW M hasn't fallen off the map completely obviously the M3 is the best car in its class but the gap has narrowed and BMW isn't quite as good in the performance arena as it used to be.

The new RS6 and the new AMG models for the E/CLS are looking pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Honestly if performance bang for the buck was the number 1 priority, I would buy a redneck car like a C5 Z06,then throw some cams, headers, supercharge it and wish everyone else luck. DD my FBO 335i.
    Cute... But entirely inaccurate. Corvettes are old man cars, rednecks can't afford them. At least get the insult right.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Plus top mounted turbos...
    Oh, yes... IHI inits..better than the GT22 on the BMW V8's =) I think we might not be getting the RS6 avant..only RS7 sport coupe sedan

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by LW@MTG; 01-30-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new RS6 and the new AMG models for the E/CLS are looking pretty damn good.
    True! Very true indeed. But that's M5 territory, not M3.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Cute... But entirely inaccurate. Corvettes are old man cars, rednecks can't afford them. At least get the insult right.
    hmmm....

Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I were to jump to a relatively new car, then it'd be an R8. If I were to jump in general, it would be to an F355. To me BMW needs to sell their M cars with the turbos AND more displacement. All the potential of the motor is ultimately bottlenecked by the displacement - no matter what. In every case if you have more displacement you can eventually make more power (provided the block doesn't split). If BMW released this M3 as a 3.6-3.8 liter, it would decimate. That's the only thing they can really do that would make me think the engine really could be amazing, unless of course this electric turbo thing blows my mind and can work with upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    hmmm....

Click here to enlarge
    Ironically, being GM, the truck and the vette probably had the same motor anyway.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    [QUOTE=Q4P;391779]hmmm....

Click here to enlarge[/QUOTE

Come on that's an 80's Vette LOL...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope, closer to $25k. Plus I'd try to squeeze as much as I could although UGR isn't hurting for business.
    Yea, I figured you'd be better off going to Dallas Performance, LMR or Titan Motorsports/Jotech and trying to say "Let's build a UGR beater". Than again, the TT-G mods are kind of proven with only some minor advancements to make (kinda like the 2JZ), the next cars to get into like that are prob. the new Viper & Corvette (and the real next-gen Gallardo)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Ironically, being GM, the truck and the vette probably had the same motor anyway.
    The other way round but hey if it works....
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

As for the efficient dynamics comment we saw earlier from benzy: I think you are looking at things from the wrong perspective. You ABSOLUTELY WANT efficient dynamics mentality in the M cars. Why: because efficient dynamics is about making more power with less fuel consumption.

Guess what: I would not mind an electrical motor to help pull the car out of the curves before the turbos give me a full boost. Think Porsche 918 with the hybrid electric drive! Click here to enlarge
    The M3 might (key word) be the best car from the factory around a track, but majority of the time these cars spend on the road (where the Merc will manhandle the BMW), it's going to lose "credibility" after losing lots of runs in YouTube videos and Car&Driver comparisons. Truth of the matter is more people care about 0-60, 40-60, and HP numbers (solely because its a bragging right) then track times because those things are more applicable to real world driving.

Efficient Dynamics doesn't really seem to be about more power with this M as they seem more focused on a heavy weight reduction (which has been heavily advertised). The Porsche 918 is also a million dollar car that nobody's gonna $#@! with in the aftermarket (maybe an exhaust), just like the Carrera GT.

Audi also has an ideal AWD setup, they max power their front wheels see now is 40% & the rear wheels can see up to 80% of the power. Their system is no where near as advanced as the GTR or Porsche's, but that won't last long since VW Group owns both Porsche + Audi.

Bottom Line: Audi & Mercedes are putting bomb, twin turbo engines in their cars that are turning out bigger HP & better performance numbers than their predecessors. If BMW thinks they're gonna still remain on top by just cutting a ton of weight, they're gonna get their asses handed to them (think what happened to the ZL1 when the new GT500 got released).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True! Very true indeed. But that's M5 territory, not M3.
    But the point being BMW is being surpassed and challenged and I see no reason why this will not carry over to the M3. They've lost their way, they are the German Toyota, that's what it is now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Call me crazy but this talk of jumping ship before its released and specs are official seems premature.
    This is very normal. I've been in forums from E36 days and this has been the case from those days.
    "Oh no, the E46 M3 will have the same displacement as the E36. The M has died." E36 owners said.
    "Oh no, the E92 M3 will be heavier than the E46. The M has died." E46 owners said.

BMW people cry all the time. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    If it weighs more than 33XX lbs I would agree with you. I do think the 415 is underestimated given the powerplant it is replacing at 414 hp.

I will hold judgement until I see the car on an independent set of Longacre scales, after independent dynos.
    It will 100% weigh more than 33XX lbs.

BMW can not perform miracles. The F30 335i weighs 3,550 lbs. They would be lucky to shed 100 lbs off that, I don't even see that happening.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keyword "history".

You do realize recent M-cars are losing comparos. In some cases getting last place.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    This is very normal. I've been in forums from E36 days and this has been the case from those days.
    "Oh no, the E46 M3 will have the same displacement as the E36. The M has died." E36 owners said.
    "Oh no, the E92 M3 will be heavier than the E46. The M has died." E46 owners said.

BMW people cry all the time. Click here to enlarge
    LOL... Admittedly thats the thing going on with Vette owners now. Will it be able to be tuned, can I supercharge it, I hate the tailights or my favorite. I'm never selling my C____ (Insert chassis here) ever, ever, ever! My thing with BMW is stick to a formula. Porsche 911's have always been 6cyl's (minus the 912 if we want to count that) Vette's have near always been V8's. M's should be inline 6cyl's IMO its their trademark. Not 4cyl (though I loved my E30 M) or V8 for that matter. Stop chasing AMG and Audi. Build the car the enthusiasts want and will support
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast