Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What you think would be better: toyo r888s or Michelin pss. They are about the same. I only put on like 3-4k miles a year and I'm thinking I need better rear tires for the 1/2 event. Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The R888 is more of a race tire. It needs to be warm but once it is it is like glue. Heat cycles will shorten the life and it will eventually get rock hard. It is a more track oriented tire. It is noisy.

The PSS is a better choice for the street. R888 for the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

what are your goals? for the strip i say R888....for the street PSS all day
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

With that low mileage you could go with RE11's
    Last edited by DavidV; 01-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Im debated this as well. If its a TRUE weekend/race car, R88's cant be beat for performance. If noise is an issue, they are loud ive heard, and life cycle is not long.

PSS Ive heard great things about as a sticky, quiet, long life tire

RE11's keep coming to the top of the list for better performance though. but i believe they are not as long lasting as pss, are a bit stickier than pss, and probably have some audio concerns, but not as loud as r88's, and not as stick as them either..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Keep in mind hes got 19's
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I don't normally drive it in the rain. Just nice days and for fun. The torque is eating the $#@! out of my hankooks real fast and need more grip off the line and 2nd gear rolls. I will track it on the 1/4 mile a couple times for fun as wellAlso I wonder if I can fit 275s under there as well being dropped on coilovers and being on 19s but no spacers running a 9.5 inch et33 wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

r888's are by far better, they run wide though id go conservative

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Im debated this as well. If its a TRUE weekend/race car, R88's cant be beat for performance. If noise is an issue, they are loud ive heard, and life cycle is not long.

PSS Ive heard great things about as a sticky, quiet, long life tire

RE11's keep coming to the top of the list for better performance though. but i believe they are not as long lasting as pss, are a bit stickier than pss, and probably have some audio concerns, but not as loud as r88's, and not as stick as them either..
    PSS, RE11s, and R888 are really in 3 different categories of tire. Cross shopping them should be very easy depending on what you use your car for and what kind of tire life you're expecting.

I wouldn't street drive R888s unless I had no other way to get them to the track. They will last 4k miles depending on your temps and road surface and will suck donkey cock in the rain. They are also made to perform best at operating temperature which daily/street driving won't reach so you won't see the benefits of them anyway. I really don't see any reason to put R888s on a street driven only car unless you just want "tires that look cool"

RE11 - I had these and they were a great compromise tire for me, which was 50% autox 50% street driving. I put about 12k on mine and they probably had another 3-5 in them. Sticky, predictable, good in the rain but not cheap. Quiet on the street, I didn't notice them being any louder than the PS2s I had before. If you do competitive driving or are willing to forgo some tire life compared to the next step "down" for increased grip then they are a good fit. Also see RS3, AD08, Ecsta XS, star spec et al

PSS - by all accounts a great street tire with predictable limits. Will last you the longest, be the best in the rain, the quietest - basically the most "street" tire of this group. Worse in the dry than the other two, and pretty expensive. I'd go with extremecontact dws for 99% the tire for 2/3 the price.
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BTM Click here to enlarge
    PSS, RE11s, and R888 are really in 3 different categories of tire. Cross shopping them should be very easy depending on what you use your car for and what kind of tire life you're expecting.

I wouldn't street drive R888s unless I had no other way to get them to the track. They will last 4k miles depending on your temps and road surface and will suck donkey cock in the rain. They are also made to perform best at operating temperature which daily/street driving won't reach so you won't see the benefits of them anyway. I really don't see any reason to put R888s on a street driven only car unless you just want "tires that look cool"

RE11 - I had these and they were a great compromise tire for me, which was 50% autox 50% street driving. I put about 12k on mine and they probably had another 3-5 in them. Sticky, predictable, good in the rain but not cheap. Quiet on the street, I didn't notice them being any louder than the PS2s I had before. If you do competitive driving or are willing to forgo some tire life compared to the next step "down" for increased grip then they are a good fit. Also see RS3, AD08, Ecsta XS, star spec et al

PSS - by all accounts a great street tire with predictable limits. Will last you the longest, be the best in the rain, the quietest - basically the most "street" tire of this group. Worse in the dry than the other two, and pretty expensive. I'd go with extremecontact dws for 99% the tire for 2/3 the price.

Good Post "Fake Rep"
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Good Post "Fake Rep"
    Click here to enlarge

Another thing to consider once you get into DOT approved track tires is yes they are DOT, but the tread is basically a formality, and they puncture much easier than "real" street tires. We all know what roads are like around here.
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

r888s are probably gonna be over doing it a little bit is my guess. I will look more into the AD08s and pss more. Id like to get more than one season out of them and not be confined to abesolutely no rain at all

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

right, thats why i prefaced with a TRUE weekend/race car. For me, i have a need for extreme traction, but also just want as little noise as possible. rain isnt a HUGE deal, as i wouldnt drive it in rain, as its a weekend car. Noise though, i would like to be able to take the wife around in it.. this is why its still on my list. PSS from all accounts are the closest to everything i want, but they dont provide AS much grip as RE11's, or some others, and I need traction most importantly.

so, of all the tires you mentioned, which offers least noise, best traction? and then which one costs the least Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Well, star specs are notoriously loud. Ecsta XS and RS3 are cheap, but both notoriously loud as well, I don't have any personal experience with the XS, both supposedly suck in the rain but you don't care about that. RE11 like I said was no noisier than my PS2s (ie, quiet) but they are significantly more than RS3s. AD08s are a track favorite and I would be able to tell you my personal experience with them if they weren't backordered. They also aren't very cheap, only a little less than RE11s. But I mean, if you're willing to spend on PSS, but want more grip, just get RE11
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yeah, I was going to say RE11 sound like the tire...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I didn't think my star specs are that loud, but than again I haven't drove the car since October

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Tire noise is one of those things we get used to, but a girl gets in the car and is like "whats wrong with your car it's so loud compared to my jetta"
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Tire noise is one of those things we get used to, but a girl gets in the car and is like "whats wrong with your car it's so loud compared to my jetta"
    lol, this is the same woman that demands i close exhaust valves back to stock volume levels.. so im sure noise in the cabin equates to "noise" in the home for me as well Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Straight pipe, its loud anyway Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Sounds like you need an upgrade ^ lol

I have PSS, I'm going AD08 this year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Awesome roads

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Do you get traction in second gear or does it still fishtail?