Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Question Best JL Audio amp?

Hey all, I've procured a JL Audio subwoofer, so...

I am going with JL Audio setup as clearly is preferred for easy install... adding sub to stock HK system in 2001 330.

1. What do people think is the best JL audio amp for pairing with a JL W1 12" Subwoofer?

2. What is the ideal setup in terms of install/wire placement? (insert link, lol)

3. What do people see as ideal setup for optimal sound?

Basically just looking for opinions on which JL amp to go with, then the links to the install/setup info... couldn't find one specific to this model...

Thanks!
    Last edited by hizhinezz; 01-22-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect spacing of words

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These are good questions but I don't know much about audio and I don't know who the audio expert on this board is. Oh well, let's bump and see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1. The W1 is a SVC, 4Ohm, 150w RMS sub. Any amp that provide around 150w RMS @ 4Ohms will be fine. You can go above or below that rating but if you go above, you need to be careful about setting your gain.

2. If you're not familiar with BMWs, the battery is in the trunk (for modern models anyway). So a short power and ground directly to the battery is recommended. On e9xs, there is a distribution box located ontop of the battery. You can buy the oem connectors and tap 12v+ directly from the distribution box. That is the cleanest way. Not sure if e46 has this distro box. Ground to any BARE metal....sand off paint if necessary!!!

3. Most people with e9x go with a corner loaded setup...not sure about e46. Go with a sealed enclosure for tight and accurate, clean sound. Ported or band pass for louder, deeper bass but less accuracy.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know you said you want JL stuff but does it ABSOLUTELY have to be JL?

Main question is what your goal is for the setup? SQ? SPL? or a mix of both?

I'm not knocking JL but for the money there is a ton of stuff out there that performs just as good if not way better and usually is cheaper.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge