Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: General Chat

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    Why's that?
    Because look at Samsung's scale of changes for new models in comparison.

Apple is just reselling the same crap with minor updates, no real solid changes. The Iphone peaked, it's done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your phone has been obsolete for the last 4 years.
    Glad I'm getting an upgrade.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge
    M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
    KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The small changes makes me feel like smartphone hardware has already plateaued like how desktop computers already have.
    I can see why you'd say that with the phones you've been using, but that's very far from the general truth. People in my industry are really excited about the potential for advancements in hardware. Next gen stuff should be pretty awesome.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge
    M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
    KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because look at Samsung's scale of changes for new models in comparison.

Apple is just reselling the same crap with minor updates, no real solid changes. The Iphone peaked, it's done.
    Samsung doesn't update their flagship phone every 6 months though, do they?
    For Sale:
    4x BBS RC 332 18x8.5 ET40 5x120 Brilliant Silver - brand new in box - $2000 set
    4x BBS RC 333 17x7 ET42 4x114.3 Brilliant Silver - brand new in box - $1600 set
    3x BBS RG-R 772 17x9 ET42 5x120 Bright Silver - brand new in box - $800 each

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cyberkaa Click here to enlarge
    I can see why you'd say that with the phones you've been using, but that's very far from the general truth. People in my industry are really excited about the potential for advancements in hardware. Next gen stuff should be pretty awesome.
    Well, I don't really run into the processing limitations of my phone as is, even with the games, movies, internet browsing, and photo editing I've done so far.

I just want faster data and better battery life really.
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I don't really run into the processing limitations of my phone as is, even with the games, movies, internet browsing, and photo editing I've done so far.

You don't run into them because the phone software developers have run into them for you. There's a big rush to get more GPU acceleration going right now. One of the nice things about that is you can reduce power consumption when watching movies and playing certain types of games, just as PCs do now. Faster data is a different problem.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You don't run into them because the phone software developers have run into them for you. There's a big rush to get more GPU acceleration going right now. One of the nice things about that is you can reduce power consumption when watching movies and playing certain types of games, just as PCs do now. Faster data is a different problem.
    Meh, faster data connection and everything can just be done remotely with even less power.
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Samsung doesn't update their flagship phone every 6 months though, do they?
    Seems to be about 6 months? http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...36-Galaxy-S-IV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Meh, faster data connection and everything can just be done remotely with even less power.
    People are pushing that, too, and it is awesome.
    But it'll break even somewhere. Fast data requires lots of power, especially with poor signal quality.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, so slow in here now that I've been unbanned on E46F

I really wish people would post here though. So much more freedom and the forum software is much more conducive to chatting.
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I really wish people would post here though. So much more freedom and the forum software is much more conducive to chatting.
    It's hard to move people, they get set in their ways. Once guys understand though they tend to stick around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right, but you would still have to render anything that is "real time". Meaning, if you want to play a game - with only the lag of the hardware, you would basically be watching a video at that point. Remote/Cloud gaming exists, but it's not up to snuff imo. I hear your point, but the technology isn't there yet - at least for things that need to be in "real time".

Yeah, there is definitely a push in that direction - I am looking forward to what HTML 5 will do to the world of computing. As you said, GPU acceleration goes a long way, not only for games - but for decoding video, enhancing user experience, etc... It will take some time for until we start seeing more good HTML 5 sites - once there are some good libraries for physics/etc., things will get pretty damn cool. I cannot wait for the day of Flash to die. I refuse to use it.

I would beg to differ on the processor though. You are always using 100% of your phone some of the times, times you may not realize. Even something as simple as rendering a complex webpage will tax the processor - I would say that this and the GPU are the two things that make a good phone. The faster your clock, the faster your phone - if you can see any delay doing anything, a faster CPU will most likely shorten it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I think you should be banned more often. lol
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I would beg to differ on the processor though. You are always using 100% of your phone some of the times, times you may not realize. Even something as simple as rendering a complex webpage will tax the processor - I would say that this and the GPU are the two things that make a good phone. The faster your clock, the faster your phone - if you can see any delay doing anything, a faster CPU will most likely shorten it. Click here to enlarge
    lol @ messed up quote

That's the gist of what I was getting at. It may not be obvious how you're running into hardware limits because the developers often scale back the interface and apps to give a good user experience. Rendering web pages is a good example of exposing processor limitations in spite of those efforts.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Right, but you would still have to render anything that is "real time". Meaning, if you want to play a game - with only the lag of the hardware, you would basically be watching a video at that point. Remote/Cloud gaming exists, but it's not up to snuff imo. I hear your point, but the technology isn't there yet - at least for things that need to be in "real time".

Yeah, there is definitely a push in that direction - I am looking forward to what HTML 5 will do to the world of computing. As you said, GPU acceleration goes a long way, not only for games - but for decoding video, enhancing user experience, etc... It will take some time for until we start seeing more good HTML 5 sites - once there are some good libraries for physics/etc., things will get pretty damn cool. I cannot wait for the day of Flash to die. I refuse to use it.

Ever since trying out Splashtop on my phone, I've been pretty hooked on the concept of remote gaming. Through wifi, it works flawlessly. Playing videos and games is a piece of cake and everything is fast and looks good. Now if only cellular data networks were as fast as wifi...

For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you should be banned more often. lol
    I think you should get slapped in the face with a fish.
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man......I have no idea what's going on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Salmon, please.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bimmerman325i Click here to enlarge
    Man......I have no idea what's going on
    Does anyone really?
    We just carry on as best we can.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Salmon, please.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ever since trying out Splashtop on my phone, I've been pretty hooked on the concept of remote gaming. Through wifi, it works flawlessly. Playing videos and games is a piece of cake and everything is fast and looks good. Now if only cellular data networks were as fast as wifi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leyx3pFzrHY
    Interesting...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is this an mIRC reference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's an older expression than that, but Monty Python did a good skit on it.
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure where I got it from, really. I felt like it was from something or meant something else, but couldn't remember.
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, I need to post in here more. E46Mango started harassing me on E46Fanatics again and I'm getting warnings from Tim telling me not to "troll" him. Apparently talking about somebody when they aren't around is trolling them.

So yeah, I don't really know what to do about that...
    For Sale:

Click here to enlarge

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast