Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

DEFIVfab 335 Differential Lockdown Kit Installed with M3 Suspension Bits

First of all, I would like to give a huge thank you to Mikeand David at Collins Automotive down here in Houston, Texas for installing myM3 suspension bits and the DEFIVfab Differential Lockdown Kit.

This project turned out to be a lot more difficult and timeconsuming than originally thought, but Mike, kept his word and only chargedwhat was originally quoted and agreed on.

Mike also kept me updated on the progress of my car and wentabove and beyond when we ran into an issue with the lockdown kit, which I willfurther discuss below. He even postponeda family vacation to make sure the Lockdown Kit was installed properly. I assured him I did not need my car for theweekend, but he insisted that he stay until the job was completed. Great guy!

Parts:

Front Control Arm (Wishbone) Left - 311022283577
    Front Control Arm (Wishbone) Right - 311022283578
    Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings Left - 31102283575
    Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings Right - 31102283576
    Front Regulating Rod for Headlights 37142283867
    Rear Subframe Bushings Front- 33312283382 x 2
    Rear Subframe Bushings Rear- 33312283383 x 2
    Rear Guide Rod Left- 33322283547
    Rear Guide Rod Right- 33322283548
    Rear Wishbone Left- 33322283545
    Rear Wishbone Right- 33322283546

DEFIVfab 335 Differential Lockdown Kit

Other Suspension/Mods:

KW v2
    UUC Sway Bars
    Quaife 3.46 LSD
    HPF Stage 2 Clutch
    Toyo Proxies TQ 275x40x17 and Nitto NT555 245x45x17
    Rear Seat Delete

M3 Suspension BitsReview:

All I can say is WOW. My car feels completely different now. Everything feels tighter and stiffer. (Thatís what she said). The car feels more planted to the road and morepredictable. A comparable feeling would be driving a stock E92 M3...lol.

Here are some pictures that were taken during the install:

Click here to enlarge
    Old Suspension Bits

Click here to enlarge
    Front Comparison

Click here to enlarge
    Front Installed

Click here to enlarge
    Subframe Bushing Installed

DEFIVfab DifferentialLockdown Kit Installation:

The kit itself is well made and sexy. However, be warned, it is NOT a walk in thepark install and will require a lift and patience.

When Rick says it is supposed to be a tight fit, he meansit. I was told that once the bushingswere installed, the differential had to be wedged into place, leaving it withabsolutely no room to move.

Simply getting the bushings and differential in place isjust the beginning of the install process. I was told that it took almost an hour each to get the bolts that securethe differential in place.

Unfortunately, being a part of the first pre-order group, afew of us ran into an issue with one of the bolts being too short. Rick hasnít been able to determine whichvehicles come with the shorter bolt, but is going to include a longer bolt in allof his kits going forward. (BMW p/n07119914854 M14x1.5x130mm).

Mike desperately searched around town for a comparablebolt. We werenít able to source onelocally, so Mike ordered one from BMW and had it shipped overnight.

Installation tip: Getthe long bolt on the differential cover in place first and then attempt the twosmaller ones.

Once Mike removed the bolt that was too short, he had toremove the other two bolts to get the new long bolt in.

Rick was very helpful through this entire installation process. He even gave us his cell # incase myinstaller had any questions during the installation. Rick did everything he could to help sourceus a bolt and even offered to reimburse the costs.

Overall, Iím very impressed with Rickís product and hissupport after sale.

Driving Impressions:

There is a noticeable whine from the differential whenever Iímoff the throttle. It happens at all RPMranges. Itís most likely louder in mycar since I donít have rear seats. Ricksuggested installing a Dynamat standard door kit to alleviate the noise, but addingweight is against my religion and the sound doesnít bother me.

Iíve never experienced wheel hop on the streets, so I doníthave a basis to determine whether this has gotten rid of any wheel hop on thestreet or not. That being said, I didnítget any wheel hop on the street when while dropping the clutch at 2-3k. David said there was a little on the firstlaunch, but I didnít feel it. (The wheelhop I have experienced prior to installing this kit was very noticeable andmade the entire rear end shake violently.)

Iíll be going to the track in about 2-3 weeks to do moretesting. Till then, here are somepictures that were taken during the install.

Here are some pictures of the DEFIVfab Differential LockdownKit Install:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice job! You just need some aftermarket adjustable toe arms to complete your suspension setup and an alignment. On your coilovers, make the rear 1 click stiffer and the front 1 click softer. Also, warm up your tires!

When I had my M3 bits installed, the "floaty" feeling you get on the freeway is gone. It feels super planted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    First of all, I would like to give a huge thank you to Mikeand David at Collins Automotive down here in Houston, Texas for installing myM3 suspension bits and the DEFIVfab Differential Lockdown Kit.

This project turned out to be a lot more difficult and timeconsuming than originally thought, but Mike, kept his word and only chargedwhat was originally quoted and agreed on.

Mike also kept me updated on the progress of my car and wentabove and beyond when we ran into an issue with the lockdown kit, which I willfurther discuss below. He even postponeda family vacation to make sure the Lockdown Kit was installed properly. I assured him I did not need my car for theweekend, but he insisted that he stay until the job was completed. Great guy!

Parts:

Front Control Arm (Wishbone) Left - 311022283577
    Front Control Arm (Wishbone) Right - 311022283578
    Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings Left - 31102283575
    Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings Right - 31102283576
    Front Regulating Rod for Headlights 37142283867
    Rear Subframe Bushings Front- 33312283382 x 2
    Rear Subframe Bushings Rear- 33312283383 x 2
    Rear Guide Rod Left- 33322283547
    Rear Guide Rod Right- 33322283548
    Rear Wishbone Left- 33322283545
    Rear Wishbone Right- 33322283546

DEFIVfab 335 Differential Lockdown Kit

Other Suspension/Mods:

KW v2
    UUC Sway Bars
    Quaife 3.46 LSD
    HPF Stage 2 Clutch
    Toyo Proxies TQ 275x40x17 and Nitto NT555 245x45x17
    Rear Seat Delete

M3 Suspension BitsReview:

All I can say is WOW. My car feels completely different now. Everything feels tighter and stiffer. (That’s what she said). The car feels more planted to the road and morepredictable. A comparable feeling would be driving a stock E92 M3...lol.

Here are some pictures that were taken during the install:

http://www.audiboost.com/images/impo...spension-1.jpg
    Old Suspension Bits

http://www.audiboost.com/images/impo...mparison-1.jpg
    Front Comparison

http://www.audiboost.com/images/impo...nstalled-1.jpg
    Front Installed

Subframe Bushing Installed

DEFIVfab DifferentialLockdown Kit Installation:

The kit itself is well made and sexy. However, be warned, it is NOT a walk in thepark install and will require a lift and patience.

When Rick says it is supposed to be a tight fit, he meansit. I was told that once the bushingswere installed, the differential had to be wedged into place, leaving it withabsolutely no room to move.

Simply getting the bushings and differential in place isjust the beginning of the install process. I was told that it took almost an hour each to get the bolts that securethe differential in place.

Unfortunately, being a part of the first pre-order group, afew of us ran into an issue with one of the bolts being too short. Rick hasn’t been able to determine whichvehicles come with the shorter bolt, but is going to include a longer bolt in allof his kits going forward. (BMW p/n07119914854 M14x1.5x130mm).

Mike desperately searched around town for a comparablebolt. We weren’t able to source onelocally, so Mike ordered one from BMW and had it shipped overnight.

Installation tip: Getthe long bolt on the differential cover in place first and then attempt the twosmaller ones.

Once Mike removed the bolt that was too short, he had toremove the other two bolts to get the new long bolt in.

Rick was very helpful through this entire installation process. He even gave us his cell # incase myinstaller had any questions during the installation. Rick did everything he could to help sourceus a bolt and even offered to reimburse the costs.

Overall, I’m very impressed with Rick’s product and hissupport after sale.

Driving Impressions:

There is a noticeable whine from the differential whenever I’moff the throttle. It happens at all RPMranges. It’s most likely louder in mycar since I don’t have rear seats. Ricksuggested installing a Dynamat standard door kit to alleviate the noise, but addingweight is against my religion and the sound doesn’t bother me.

I’ve never experienced wheel hop on the streets, so I don’thave a basis to determine whether this has gotten rid of any wheel hop on thestreet or not. That being said, I didn’tget any wheel hop on the street when while dropping the clutch at 2-3k. David said there was a little on the firstlaunch, but I didn’t feel it. (The wheelhop I have experienced prior to installing this kit was very noticeable andmade the entire rear end shake violently.)

I’ll be going to the track in about 2-3 weeks to do moretesting. Till then, here are somepictures that were taken during the install.

Here are some pictures of the DEFIVfab Differential LockdownKit Install:

Really well done...

There is a noticeable whine from the differential whenever I’moff the throttle. It happens at all RPMranges.
    How do we eliminate this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How do we eliminate this?
    I don't think you can eliminate it since the solid bushings are transferring the noise to the subframe. Only thing you can do is conceal it with Dynamat or something similar.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think you can eliminate it since the solid bushings are transferring the noise to the subframe. Only thing you can do is conceal it with Dynamat or something similar.
    I see. So dynamat will only mask it. Will it still be audible though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I see. So dynamat will only mask it. Will it still be audible though?
    It's not too loud with no rear seats, so I'm thinking Dynamat and rear seats will mask it completely.

@blisstik , you planning on trying Dynamat?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, @LostMarine should be able to tell you if he gets any whine on his M3 diff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, @LostMarine should be able to tell you if he gets any whine on his M3 diff.
    He hasn't mentioned anything in his review.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The whine is only produced by Helical-type LSD (Quaife or Wavetrac). I don't plan to dynamat. I'm fine with the sound. It kinda sounds like I have a supercharger now. Haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I doubt dynamat will stop that kind of noise. Its being transmitted through the chassis from the metal bushings. That is why metal bushings aren't used on street cars. I don't think I would mind that noise though, like blisstik said, it probably sounds cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    The whine is only produced by Helical-type LSD (Quaife or Wavetrac). I don't plan to dynamat. I'm fine with the sound. It kinda sounds like I have a supercharger now. Haha.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I doubt dynamat will stop that kind of noise. Its being transmitted through the chassis from the metal bushings. That is why metal bushings aren't used on street cars. I don't think I would mind that noise though, like blisstik said, it probably sounds cool.
    Yep. I have no problem with the sound.

Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The one that I did get a whine on with solid subframe bushes/Quaife was handled with carefully placing dynamat up around where the front subframe mounts meet the body and across, doubling application where the rear console runs. Again it only seems like it's happening with helical diffs and poly/M subframe bushes. The M kit actually uses polyurethane bushings where the brace meets the subframe, partially because the transfer of movement/design is completely different than the N54 platform. Great and thorough post nafoo,looking forward to some dragstrip videoClick here to enlarge
    The one that did have a whine I sort of liked myself, and felt it wasn't terrible at all, dynamatting was done just as a "see if that handles it" situation which it does. None of the cars with oem N54 grade subframe bushings made any noise that was notable. Reminiscent of a sequential-dogbox but MUCH quieter. You guys should hear a solid mounted Getrag V160 in a Supra...you can't even hear yourself think half the time....but all that evaporates when the gas pedal is pushed on cars that require solid drivetrains...Like I've said in other posts, it becomes difficult to maintain stock like qualities when expectations exceed stock performance....
    Last edited by rick@defiv; 01-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice job nafoo. Can you post a ballpark price on install?Im about to do the same. Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    Nice job nafoo. Can you post a ballpark price on install?Im about to do the same. Thanks in advance.
    I was quoted 8 hours for the subframe bushings and the lockdown kit.

For just the lockdown, most people said 4-5 hours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was quoted 8 hours for the subframe bushings and the lockdown kit.

For just the lockdown, most people said 4-5 hours.
    My mechanic used 10 hours on the job, but only charged me for 8. It depends a great deal on the tools they have/use and their knowledge and experience on the specific car I assume.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | ÷hlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got quoted 695 to install the subframe bushings and the diff lockdown
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    I got quoted 695 to install the subframe bushings and the diff lockdown
    Not bad. That's about what I was quoted. Take it and run! Hopefully your mechanic doesn't charge more if it takes them 3 days :p

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was quoted 8 hours with the driveshaft and lockdown kit install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here are some more pictures Mike just sent me. Enjoy!

Click here to enlarge
    Engine bay needs cleaning

Click here to enlarge
    Upskirt Shot

Click here to enlarge
    Best exhaust. Am I right, @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks ?

Click here to enlarge
    There’s a Quaife in there.

Click here to enlarge
    Before M3 Suspension Parts

Click here to enlarge
    Before M3 Suspension Parts

Click here to enlarge
    Exhaust Removed

Click here to enlarge
    Something’s missing.

Click here to enlarge
    Removing Subframe Bushings

Click here to enlarge
    Subframe Bushing Comparison

Click here to enlarge
    Subframe Bushing Comparison

Click here to enlarge
    Lubed up and inserted, slowly

Click here to enlarge
    Diff Bushings Removed

Click here to enlarge
    DEFIVfab Installed

Click here to enlarge
    DEFIVfab Solid Bushings Installed

Click here to enlarge
    Squeezing Diff Back In

Click here to enlarge
    Installed!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice set of photos. I noticed that the amount of thread left on the adjustable arm is about the same as mine and its also not perfectly flat. Anyways, does your HKS drone knowing that it's compatible with this kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Nice set of photos. I noticed that the amount of thread left on the adjustable arm is about the same as mine and its also not perfectly flat. Anyways, does your HKS drone knowing that it's compatible with this kit?
    The HKS barely fit with this kit. But since the kit is so well made, I don't expect it to move at all or ever touch the exhaust.

I don't think it drones even with my rear seat delete.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So M3 bushings and arms in the back, and a DEFIV dif lockdown set?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    So M3 bushings and arms in the back, and a DEFIV dif lockdown set?
    Plus M3 arms and tension strut in the front.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Plus adjustable toe arms later on Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast