Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I was unaware, good info.

It is indeed a great motor... a 3.8 V8TT sounds just nasty. The aftermarket potential would appear to be incredible on this car but I am sure no one wants to touch it because it is a Mclaren.

Let's be clear about which McLaren we're talking about.

Not this McLaren: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren

but

This McLaren: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linamar

Immediately people think about the UK group which is the Formula 1 team with all the racing history and pedigree, and responsible for the McLaren F1, Mercedes SLR, and the more recent McLaren MP4-12C.

The McLaren involved in the GNX project has absolutely nothing to do with the Formula 1 team and the super car manufacturer. They are completely 2 different entities that share no technology in any shape or form. It's an American company which actually does make the GNX a 100% American car with a fantastic turbo engine.

Why the confusion then? Well it's easy, it's all in the name. The 2 companies do share the last name of the great Bruce McLaren. When Bruce was involved in Can AM races in the United States he decided to setup a company here to help him with that. Hence Mclaren Performance Engines was established in 1969. Unfortunately Bruce was killed in 1970 in England in his Can-Am car and that was pretty much it, the company based in Michigan lived on with his name but completely separately of McLaren who was run by Teddy Mayer until Ron Dennis showed up and took over in 1980.

Now if you didn't think of the F1 team but the Linamar group when McLaren was first mentioned then my post is useless.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

As for my favorite turbo motor?

It's the Honda RA 168-E which powered Senna to his first F1 World Championship and pretty much won every single race except in Italy. Where with 2 laps to go Senna was knocked out of the race by a slower car as he came up to lap him.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

My favorite engine is not just turbocharged, it's supercharged as well. The twincharged 1.8L I4 in the Lancia Delta S4. At 32psi, Lanica said it makes 480hp. But, in tests, they passed the 70psi barrier and the dyno used showed 1000hp. You've probably heard of the legendary Audi Quattro Sport S1, well this Lancia here kicked that car's ass all the way from the startline to the finishline in 1986. (I should add that Peugeot T5 kicked Lancia's ass)

S4 was so wild that it killed it's driver, Henri Toivonen and the co-driver Sergio Cresto.

The car that was set to replace the Delta S4 had an even crazier engine. It had the same strong block as before, but the head was changed. In each side of the head, there was one intake valve and one exhaust valve. As the result, it was forcefed by two turbochargers. Unfortunately, Group B was rulled out and the engine, except the prototype, was never built.
    Click here to enlarge

----------------------

The other favorite turbo engine is the BMW M13 which is nicknamed Megatron by Arrow team.
    Click here to enlarge
    It helped Nelson Piquet to win the 1983 champion title. Everyone knows about these engines, i just add some cool quotes.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Europeancarweb
    BMW's first year in Formula One was fraught with problems, mainly due to the electronics. When they failed to qualify in Detroit, that was the last straw for the Board, who were ready to pull out.
    The next race was one week later in Montreal, which also looked to be shaping up badly. "We were having huge arguments with Bernie Ecclestone and Gordon Murray. They had never failed to qualify before. I told my electronic engineer to pull everything out and fit new parts. We had to do something."

Whatever he did, it worked. Piquet drove to victory in Montreal.
    Relieved and elated, Rosche brought his engine back to Munich for analysis. "We put it on the test bed, and it didn't work. It was completely dead. Basically, we won our first race without ever knowing why." Rosche finds this particularly amusing, although presumably 20 years ago his sentiments were somewhat different.

BMW's F1 glory year was 1983, when it scooped the championship, a victory that Rosche puts down largely to a special fuel developed with BASF. The fuel, which was originally used by WWII fighter planes, successfully eliminated the high-speed detonation problems being suffered by other teams at the time. But the secret was soon blown after the Italians stole a barrel of it during the Grand Prix in Monza.

In 1984, with all the teams using the same fuel, Rosche sought to regain the edge by increasing turbo pressure. "The crankshaft couldn't take the power increase," he laughed. "So we strengthened the housing. Then the turbocharger flew apart as a result of the increased speeds.
    "That was a real pioneering time for us. In the end we never really knew how much power we had. We calculated through the intake pressure at around 1440 bhp."
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by C&D
    the insane turbocharged 1.5-liter F1 engine that first ran in ’82 and propelled Nelson Piquet to the world championship the following year. “We think it made 1400 hp in qualifying,” he says of the F1 motor. “But we don’t know, because the dyno broke at 1280 hp.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12