Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! What a joke over there.

On another note, I bought my car with the dinan middle racing exhaust and active rear. I hardly come across anyone with this setup. Is there anything bad about the dinan middle that I should consider replacing it? It's a full catless setup so it shouldn't matter, correct?
    The Dinan X-Pipe ($2.7k) I think is the highest quality one (next to the Akrapovic & Ericsson Titanium exhausts), a lot of people just go for something else less expensive: Challenge X-Pipe by itself ($1.6k), or full exhaust systems like the RPI (~$3k)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh wow didn't realize that! Makes sense considering the original owner of my car bought it brand new $77k sticker and before hitting 2k miles put $50k into the car! He spared no expense. Thankfully I got a nice 2011 with 13k miles with basically all the mods on him Click here to enlarge . Of course I didn't think I would spend more than $1-2k adding stuff but getting the car exactly how I wanted and this new AA kit changed that. Welllll worth it though! Wheels tomorrow....not going out tonight so I can make sure I'm awake for delivery LOL. I'll write a nice update with the wheels on as I'm hesitant going hard with the current ones on.
    ​2014 F10 M5 Competition Alpine White / Sakhir Orange
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh wow didn't realize that! Makes sense considering the original owner of my car bought it brand new $77k sticker and before hitting 2k miles put $50k into the car! He spared no expense. Thankfully I got a nice 2011 with 13k miles with basically all the mods on him Click here to enlarge .
    That's an absolute steal --- Definitely enjoy ripping on the car tomorrow, if you have a GoPro def bring it with you & take some video

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks! What a joke over there.

On another note, I bought my car with the dinan middle racing exhaust and active rear. I hardly come across anyone with this setup. Is there anything bad about the dinan middle that I should consider replacing it? It's a full catless setup so it shouldn't matter, correct?
    post a pic of the design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.dinancars.com/shop/R660-0...st-E9x-M3.aspx

That's the exact exhaust.

in regard to that other thread, wow they really do have their head up their ass. Didn't realize to what extent until I started posting. Am I going to get banned for saying that I believe Dinan is a notch above the other tuners when it comes to BMW :/ . I wonder how much ESS is paying them...lol.

Hey Andrew, want to start making some direct deposits in my account? I'll email you my details and put me on payroll this week! I promise to not even say positive things about Dinan anymore Click here to enlarge

(sorry if I'm adding to the drama, I'm still new and entertained by this. Am also waiting for the doorbell any minute for my wheels Click here to enlarge)
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you could probably gain slightly by going to a different piece. maybe one that has only 2 resonators and a more flowing crossover.
    Its not the same, but even on my setup, i had a significant 1-2 mph loss/gain by going from a bigger diameter (stock X w/o cats) to my ebay special.

ebay
    Click here to enlarge
    dinan
    Click here to enlarge

oem
    Click here to enlarge

they are all similar, but dinan looks like the crossover is about as aggressive as it could be, after closer inspection, gains would be minimal..wonder how the AA piece looks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks LM,

That's a pretty nice eBay special! I'll see if I can dig up some pics I have of the whole setup. With the gains probably being very minimal if all I think I'll just stay put. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With the gains probably being very minimal if all I think I'll just stay put. If it ain't broke don't fix it...
    not me.. if the minimal is ~10hp up top, im always game.. ya never know when you just need that little extra to pull on the top end Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    post a pic of the design.
    Basically looks like the Gintani Quad Resonated X-Pipe. I'd say the top X-Pipes are probably the Dinan, Gintani, RPI GTM and AR Design (one off piece).

in regard to that other thread, wow they really do have their head up their ass. Didn't realize to what extent until I started posting. Am I going to get banned for saying that I believe Dinan is a notch above the other tuners when it comes to BMW :/ . I wonder how much ESS is paying them...lol.
    YEAAA, you def realize it a lot more once you migrate over here & every vendor has the opportunity to every thread. IF somebody happens to be making outlandish claims & can't back them up with data, they get put on blast by the community & look like an idiot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    IF somebody happens to be making outlandish claims & can't back them up with data, they get put on blast by the community & look like an idiot.
    happens over there all the time as well.. but then you have jason clean it up so only one party has the final say, effectively "altering history"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WHOA!!! I have no idea how I missed these updates!!!!

Congrats on the upgrade. That is a HUGE bump in power with the updated AA Stage 2. The graph is so linear and smooth, incredible.

Keep us posted on more updates.
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LM,
    I know we don't know the exact gains possible but if it was something like 10hp then it is definitely worth it. I know you said the crossover is as aggressive as it could be though. Actually, re-readimg that, were you just saying in general a 10hp gain is worthwhile or that I could gain that much? I'm sure if I sold the Dinan piece i wouldnt have to pay much but trying to debate if its worth trying. Maybe I'll wait to see how the car does with the new filter and on a dynojet so I have a fair comparison to the Active graph. Hm...any thoughts?

On another note, managed to get the TE37SL on and WOW! What a difference! The ride is soo much smoother and handles better than the 20s or 19s (poorly balanced) I had on. This new combo of kit + wheels has really transformed the car night and day. I wish one of you had driven the car before to see the difference! Will try to get a wash tomorrow and snap some pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i think you could improve on the dinan stuff, besides over priced, ive always felt they were conservative. I would think that any other pipes would be louder for sure. About the 10hp, ya never know, to me, i think its in that range from looking at it, but i cant back that up, i just think the easier flowing exhaust on a high revving boosted car would exaggerate any 2-3hp gains a different car would make, something with a lower redline and different overall design.. but i cant back it up. only plant the seed when you get bored Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks LM.

After doing some thinking I need to find the best solution to making my car quieter at times as its just too much around town. I'm thinking of going with an Evolve Valved rear setup. Not sure what to do about the mid section though...any picks with my goal being a quieter setup when I need it to be without sacrificing on performance?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For all you guys running big boost, what I would be interested in is if the standard 2.5" ID of the stock and nearly all aftermarket XPipes is limiting your power output.

@NikB316 , you should inquire with @Andrew@activeautowerke if they can build you a custom 3" ID XPipe. I recall them building one for an NA E92 M3 Track Car. Then maybe you can pair it with the Evolve Automotive E-Tronic to have a much quieter muffler.

If you are looking for a nice plug n' play setup, I am sure the Dinan XPipe will suffice. It looks very well engineered and put together. As you said, you can than just look into a quieter muffler like the Evolve system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    For all you guys running big boost, what I would be interested in is if the standard 2.5" ID of the stock and nearly all aftermarket XPipes is limiting your power output.

@NikB316 , you should inquire with @Andrew@activeautowerke if they can build you a custom 3" ID XPipe. I recall them building one for an NA E92 M3 Track Car. Then maybe you can pair it with the Evolve Automotive E-Tronic to have a much quieter muffler.

If you are looking for a nice plug n' play setup, I am sure the Dinan XPipe will suffice. It looks very well engineered and put together. As you said, you can than just look into a quieter muffler like the Evolve system.

I think it may of been bigger than 3'' against our advise to the customer on that build. On an N/a car like that one was it did lose around 10 whp, but it did sound incredible.
    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 02-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks LM.

After doing some thinking I need to find the best solution to making my car quieter at times as its just too much around town. I'm thinking of going with an Evolve Valved rear setup. Not sure what to do about the mid section though...any picks with my goal being a quieter setup when I need it to be without sacrificing on performance?
    When I hit baller status I was going to change out for the Evolve rear, not that its expensive, but i cant justify it on the mod list right now with everything else. BUT a valved setup is DEFINITELY the way to go. mild when you want to be an adult, and wild when you feel like being young

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    I think it may of been bigger than 3'' against our advise tot he customer on that build. On an N/a car like that one was it did lose around 10 whp, but it did sound incredible.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize it may be bigger than 3"! I can definitely see how the drastic loss in back pressure could actually reduce velocity a bit too much, resulting in loss of power. I'd imagine low-end torque/power to suffer quite a bit.

With the forced induction, it would be rather interesting to see the effects of the bigger piping though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I should have some dynos to compare the current setup and Evolve setup. I want to do a little more homework (and pray one comes on the used market lol) so maybe a couple weeks or so before swapping.

LM,
    You said it perfectly - best of both worlds. As this is my dd there are times I won't want to be loudest car by that big of a margin. Been getting pulled over around town. Never ticketed for it but they definitely like to follow me because if it. Valve closed around town and open on the highway would be perfect! Worst case if I have to go with a new one I figure I will be out $2k-$2500 when factoring in the sale of my AA rear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Flip,
    thought about a different xpipe but I think I'll see how this goes with the Dinan setup and take it from there. Although someone made a tempting "WTB" post for a Dinan mid!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Flip,
    thought about a different xpipe but I think I'll see how this goes with the Dinan setup and take it from there. Although someone made a tempting "WTB" post for a Dinan mid!
    Its a sign! take them up on it Click here to enlarge
    When is the car going to defiv?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Flip,
    IF you sell it, I'd say try to cover the costs for the replacement X-Pipe (Gintani, Active, etc etc).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am hoping to take it to Rick tomorrow. I want to get the new filter and some codes cleared prior to giving it to him as I hate dropping off a car with stuff going on to someone. Not fair for either party. Tomorrow is looking promising though. I'm really excited for it as I am re-reading your thread on how it made your DCT feel less sloppy. My DCT is good 90% of the time and I don't have any problems up shifting but occasionally I will get downshift lag especially from like 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th. The car is driving so well that I am smiling that I am writing that as my only peeve.

It really feels like a different car with the updates I have made and hopefully this will just add to that. I will write up a nice review after everything is installed and I put a few hundred miles on it - by the weekend. I know I keep raving about the kit but it really deserves the praise. With my old kit I felt like I was settling - I would have a fast M3 but not have that smooth stock feel. This kit makes a supercharged M3 feel exactly what it should feel like - a fast M3! The wheels have also taught me a lesson on just how big the sacrifice is when choosing 20s for this car. I am really looking forward to other people familiar with FI e92s driving my car to see their impressions of it. The passengers that I have had since my update have all mentioned how much "healthier" the car drives.

Had a little run with a newer Camaro (nothing special) and an E60 550 today. 140mph has always been my easy reaching point on these highway runs and no longer am I waiting for that 5500rpm ish surge. Perfect delivery and as expected it was like they were standing still.

Flip,
    thats my game plan if I decide to get rid of the Dinan mid. These Dinan parts are so expensive that I can actually make some money selling it and replacing it with another brand. Nice thing about buying an expensively modded car is the value of the stuff when I want to change it to my liking! May go over to a Stop Tech setup when the time comes and these Brembos (especially yellow which has no eta apparently) sell for quite a bit preowned! I like the Brembos but with me driving 30k miles a year the Stop Tech may be more practical. We'll see but it's a nice option to have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well, my car goes back to stock this week, so let me know, if i can make it, ill swing by so we can trade out for a few miles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is what you need.. But I cant tell you it will be quieter
    Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast