Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Go Pro 3 Black - Camera Settings

What is your favorite setting for Car Mounted Shots?

I found this guy's article that says 1080 60 Medium. What do you use? @LostMarine

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

Abeís Personal Reviews of the Modes

• WVGA 240 Wide
      Well, itís WVGA Ė If you look closely at the image itís not very clean Ė aliasing is present. The novelty of 240 FPS is pretty cool if you donít care about image quality when stacked up against some of the other modes. It can look decent by itself when posted on YouTube.
    • 720 60 Wide
      Looks great, but why donít you try using 1080 60 Wide instead
    • 720 120 Wide
      This mode is tough for me to like. Youíll notice jagged edges in this mode when looking at full resolution so it wonít even compare to 1080-60 wide Ė the way it was scaled and read off the sensor gives some aliasing. It looks great on the web on YouTube Ė if thatís your final output, go slowmo crazy.
    • 720 120 Narrow
      Bingo. 120 FPS? Check. No lens distortion? Check. Clean image without aliasing? Check! If thereís any mode in the camera that screams ďIím not a GoPro!Ē itís this one. It looks like a 50mm lens and is a clean image. Slow mo is rad. This mode is great for web as well. Blown up next to 1080 or 2.7K, youíll notice the softness that comes from the Narrow FOV.
    • 960 48 Wide
      Iíve never even tried this mode. I bet it looks good.
    • 960 100 Wide
      I feel similarly about this mode as I do 720-120 Wide. With this mode there is the opportunity to gain a bit of resolution by stretching 960 to fit to 1080 and dynamically stretching it. Either way, this mode will have slight jagged edges when looking at full resolution.
    • 1080 30 Wide
      I did a test where I filmed the same scene at 1080-30 and 2.7K 30. When 2.7K 30 was scaled down to 1080, the details and sharpness were just about identical to 1080-30. So this one gets my full approval; however, you have to ask yourself, why not film this at 2.7K 30 and have the extra resolution if you need it? Either way, 1080 30 Wide is one of the cleanest modes in the camera.
    • 1080 60 Wide
      Comparing 1080 30 & 1080 60, youíll see 60FPS is ever so slightly softer than 30. Itís not something youíd ever notice even scaling the image to 720P or viewing on YouTube, but thereís a slight difference in the way itís processed. At the end of the day, 1080-60 W is my go-to mode for 90% of filming action sports. With 60FPS youíve got reduced rolling shutter as well due to reduced exposure time.
    • 1080 60 Medium
      This mode rocks. Itís very clean, doesnít look super GoPro-ie, and is in slow mo. Consider this mode for sweet slider dolly shots, glidecam, or cranes. Try it for car mounted shots. Careful with the POV with Medium or Narrow as youíll get shakier and more disorienting.
    • 1080 60 Narrow
      This mode is very cool. Still a very clean image; however, at this level youíre going to see more of the pixel noise & artifacting. Youíre close to pixel levels without scaling so sensor noise could be an issue at lower light levels. Also details will be softer overall. The narrow FOV looks like DSLR video, very unique to GoPro. Fun fact Ė we actually pulled out a few 1080-60 Narrow shots from the HERO3 reel because your average joe may see it and assume the video wasnít fully shot on GoPro.
    • 1440 30 Wide
      I love this mode! First off, itís VERY sharp and very clean. It really gives you a sense of real POV when you wear the camera on your head, chest, or bite it in your mouth. It can be a pain to deal with, as the aspect ratio is 4:3, but if you know the anamorphic 16:9 dynamic stretch tricks, it can be wonderful. If youíre filming POV to just keep to re-live life later, this is a rad mode to use.
    • 1440 48 Wide
      The high framerate is great, but when looked at full resolution, youíll see some aliasing. The way the image was processed to get high framerate produces some jagged edges. Thankfully, hardly anyone watches this at full resolution so jagged edges are harder to pickup. This mode still looks great online and scaled down.
    • 2.7K 30 Wide
      This mode is insane. Hereís what I like about it Ė sharp as a knife, full sensor wide, full 30 fps, native to the camera. The one downside is rolling shutter since it is a 30FPS mode. If you can get it mounted to something steady, at high speeds or low light youíll notice really nice motion blur with this mode. The high resolution makes this ideal for cropping and re-framing, or stabilizing in post. I find this mode has great low-light as well.
    • 2.7K 24 CIN
      Iíve never used this mode. Itís simply 2.7K 30 Wide with top and bottom chopped off a bit. Youíre not gaining anything by filming in this mode other than the ability to record at 24FPS. Iíve requested 2.7K Wide in 24 FPS as well so 2.7K CIN isnít the only option. Weíll see, but not sure how that missed the initial spec sheet.
    • 4K 15 Wide
      Havenít used this mode really. I should try a timelapse soon, but thatís about all I can think of for this mode Ė timelapse, conform to 30FPS later. Donít make a video at 15 FPS unless youíre highly stylizing it and know what youíre doing.
    • 4K 12 CIN
      Hmm.. not sure about this. Again, just 4K with top and bottom cut off and reduced framerate for the cinema kids.

2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to OT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I suck at figuring out where to post. Last time you moved my GoPro Mount Locations to General, so I thought I should post this there since I was asking about Car racing settings.

SIGH =|
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I suck at figuring out where to post. Last time you moved my GoPro Mount Locations to General, so I thought I should post this there since I was asking about Car racing settings.
    It's ok.

That one was moved to general since it was about mounting on an automobile. This deals specifically with camera settings. Hope that makes sense Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    720 120 Narrow
    Bingo. 120 FPS? Check. No lens distortion? Check. Clean image without aliasing? Check! If there’s any mode in the camera that screams “I’m not a GoPro!” it’s this one. It looks like a 50mm lens and is a clean image. Slow mo is rad. This mode is great for web as well. Blown up next to 1080 or 2.7K, you’ll notice the softness that comes from the Narrow FOV.
    1080 60 Medium
    This mode rocks. It’s very clean, doesn’t look super GoPro-ie, and is in slow mo. Consider this mode for sweet slider dolly shots, glidecam, or cranes. Try it for car mounted shots. Careful with the POV with Medium or Narrow as you’ll get shakier and more disorienting.
    ill need to try these. I have no idea what he is talking about with narrow, medium and wide settings. i havent seen those options..

I appreciate this. Im lost when it comes to what films cars the best..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ill need to try these. I have no idea what he is talking about with narrow, medium and wide settings. i havent seen those options..

Its the Field of view (FOV) aka, wide angle lense etc. Wide angle lense has the "Fish eye" effect, typical go pro movie. Medium and Narrow are just making the FOV smaller and more like a traditional camera shot.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Its the Field of view (FOV) aka, wide angle lense etc. Wide angle lense has the "Fish eye" effect, typical go pro movie. Medium and Narrow are just making the FOV smaller and more like a traditional camera shot.
    lol, yea, i understood that, but mean that i did not see a narrow or medium option in the settings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, yea, i understood that, but mean that i did not see a narrow or medium option in the settings
    I havent tried accessing via the gopro menu (once i saw the menu tree i wanted to cry), but using the GoPro APP its super easy to configure which mode you would like.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Lol, damn. Thought you might know since you record so much. Guess I'll just have to start messing with it.

It's in the same section as the resolution. W (wide) M (medium) N (narrow).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I usually prefer recording on a setting with at least 60fps or higher. Anything lower and it has a jello effect.

Fast pace events turn out smoother with higher fps imo.

My gopro 1, I would record it at 720p 60fps and videos were awesome.

My gopro 3, I will keep it at 1080p @ 60fps.
    Bought my external mics and cant wait to try em out.
    07 338xi | TiAG | Premium Pkg | Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap | E90 | BMW Perf. Intake | BMW Perf. Exhaust | Active Autowerke Stage 2 | 3 Stage Intake Manifold | KW V1 | Euro Xenon Headlights | VMR V710 | Custom Car Coding |
    See my dyno results---> http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ified-AA-FLASH)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    since its about gopro's..
    anyone have an issue with the suction cup mounts falling off? my hero1 does it, actually lost it on the road the other day. i ordered 2 of the newer mounts for back-up

also, anyone have the wifi bacpac for an older one, the hero1 or 2? i have it on the 2. it freezes a lot.. anyone have issues?