http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-36-E85/
    Cool, ordered this one. Thanks @rader1
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    There is this tester from Summit to test the ethanol coming out of the pump.

You can then calculate the ethanol content in the tank.

If we had easy access to the fuel tank we could use a kit like this. Unfortunately we don't.

http://fueltestkit.com/instructions_..._test_kit.html
    I ordered one of these as well, great price from summit too. Thanks panty Rader.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is so last decade Click here to enlarge Who is going to test the ethanol content at the pump every time? Even if you will do it, you'd need to know how much is left from the previous tank of gas to be able to calculate the new weighted ethanol content. Next you'd need to make the respective changes to the tune.

In this decade this has been done by the flex fuel sensor and automated adjustments to the tune. Just look at Haltech, Motec, Proefi...even Hondata.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    This is so last decade Click here to enlarge Who is going to test the ethanol content at the pump every time? Even if you will do it, you'd need to know how much is left from the previous tank of gas to be able to calculate the new weighted ethanol content. Next you'd need to make the respective changes to the tune.

In this decade this has been done by the flex fuel sensor and automated adjustments to the tune. Just look at Haltech, Motec, Proefi...even Hondata.
    Or just tune for e70 and be good to go year round Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1

Past E60 there are simply no more quantifiable gains on stock turbos from what we've seen so far..in fact E40-E50 is where we usually end up at
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, you can fill in e85 all the time and that should be at least e70 also in winter. However, all the stations don't carry e85. So, for some of us, easier said than done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    While its a good topic to discuss imho what you get from this is a good description on sort of off the shelf tuning..depending on what you do with boost, fuel and vanos you may end up with a lot more or less aggressive timing maps...speaking strictly in terms of timing without considering everything else is moot..just my 2c
    Yes this was done in the hopes of a simple OTS style map with E30 OTS vanos and boost settings. Something safe to start with at that level of fuel mixture.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is this tester from Summit to test the ethanol coming out of the pump.

You can then calculate the ethanol content in the tank.

If we had easy access to the fuel tank we could use a kit like this. Unfortunately we don't.

http://fueltestkit.com/instructions_..._test_kit.html
    I end up sampling right from my tank so I know what mixture is in there. I rip the back seat out and get to the section on the passenger side of mine and pump out a cup or so.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    +1

Past E60 there are simply no more quantifiable gains on stock turbos from what we've seen so far..in fact E40-E50 is where we usually end up at
    Maybe not any significant gains but another 5-10 and running the timing where it should be would still be worth it if people are filling up with straight E85. Just like any NA engine gain at that point as most people who like to squeeze every last HP out of their engine would still be happy with another 5 whether they can feel it or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12