Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Head light issue. E82 135i

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, if it's not, go ahead and move it. Click here to enlarge

I keep getting "Left daytime/running light failure" errors when my headlights are on. Every now and then though, my car will bleep twice instead of just the once and both my left and right one will be throwing errors, but they both seem to be working just fine? I'm confused as to what this is, but it's really annoying. I haven't been able to find any one else with this issue. I drive an 08 135i 6MT if this helps. Thanks guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Moved to the correct section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Is everything stock on them, or are you running aftermarket AE's etc?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    Is everything stock on them, or are you running aftermarket AE's etc?
    As far as I'm aware, they are all stock. I bought the car used and it did come with performance side skirts, bumper and exhaust.. so I might be wrong. But they are yellowish angle eyes, so I'm assuming they are stock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The stock ones are pretty yellowish but I wouldn't rule it out. Another dude on the forums had the same error and it turned out to be a burnt bulb; The error can pop if the bulb is on its way out. I suggest starting there, a set of new H8 bulbs are fairly cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The stock ones are pretty yellowish but I wouldn't rule it out. Another dude on the forums had the same error and it turned out to be a burnt bulb; The error can pop if the bulb is on its way out. I suggest starting there, a set of new H8 bulbs are fairly cheap.
    Ahh, ok. I didn't want to just go and replace bulbs if they were working, but I had no idea that it will pop the code if they are starting to fail. Makes sense now that I think about it.. I get the error to ding randomly.. sometimes every 30 seconds to every 30 minutes. It's strange.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xShadows Click here to enlarge
    As far as I'm aware, they are all stock. I bought the car used and it did come with performance side skirts, bumper and exhaust.. so I might be wrong. But they are yellowish angle eyes, so I'm assuming they are stock?
    I've told you before lol you have Alpine HID 3Ks.

Here is someone else using them lol they look exactly like whats on yours.

Click here to enlarge

Look them up
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    I've told you before lol you have Alpine HID 3Ks.

Here is someone else using them lol they look exactly like whats on yours.

Look them up
    Oh yeah.. well then lets assume they are stock.. WTF is causing my error!? :O

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Oh yeah.. well then lets assume they are stock.. WTF is causing my error!? :O
    You have aftermarket lights is what im telling you lol. So that could be improper installation, issues with the ballast, a leak causing moisture to get in, or some other common issues. Maybe your lights are just old.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

You have aftermarket lights is what im telling you lol. So that could be improper installation, issues with the ballast, a leak causing moisture to get in, or some other common issues. Maybe your lights are just old.
    I meant NOT stock. Typo! But yeah, I guess I'll take them apart this weekend and see what I can figure out with em.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sounds like the typical issues with hid conversions. If you know how to code, you can change the PWM duty cycle to 100% through nettedat coding so the ballasts are getting a CONSTANT 12v...actually more like 14v with the alternator powering things.

Or wire in a relay triggered by the oem wiring.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The Alpine HID kit already has a relay integrated into the harness to avoid that issue.

OP - Check the HID harness connectors, esp the plug that goes into the stock harness on the passenger side light. On the left/driver side headlight there should be just a resistor dongle plugged into the stock plug. Improperly seated plugs could cause the erratic behavior you mentioned. Do you have the covers with the grommet for the wires to go through?

The HIDs will still light on both sides despite the errors since both are controlled by the passenger side oem harness. With the way the Alpine kit is wired, ballast issues won't cause this error.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The Alpine HID kit already has a relay integrated into the harness to avoid that issue.

OP - Check the HID harness connectors, esp the plug that goes into the stock harness on the passenger side light. On the left/driver side headlight there should be just a resistor dongle plugged into the stock plug. Improperly seated plugs could cause the erratic behavior you mentioned. Do you have the covers with the grommet for the wires to go through?

The HIDs will still light on both sides despite the errors since both are controlled by the passenger side oem harness. With the way the Alpine kit is wired, ballast issues won't cause this error.
    Just took apart my headlights and traced all the wires. There is NO HID kit installed. No ballast, no anything. I'm going to try replacing the bulbs for now. I'll update this later tonight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Just took apart my headlights and traced all the wires. There is NO HID kit installed. No ballast, no anything. I'm going to try replacing the bulbs for now. I'll update this later tonight.
    Crazy, they're probably just orange bulbs then. Did you get the BMS LED AEs from that one guy?
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even if this was true, that is still an improper way to tap power. Every signal in the headlight harness is manipulated with a PWM signal, with the exception of oem xenon equipped vehicles. If you tap power from the oem xenon setup, you overload the circuit and must step up the fuse rating. Again, that is improper because the wiring was not designed to carry a load of 2 additional HID ballasts. If you added a ballast on each circuit and stepped up the fuse rating, it may be ok. I still don't recommend that.

Proper way is grab 12v directly from the battery and you can tap that 12v+ from the jump point under the hood. That is one of the few unmolested signals in the car. 12v+ constant to relay and triggered by oem wiring. Then code warm and cold checks off for angel eye circuits. You can also wire load resistors across the positive negative wires for the angel eye circuit. Again, this is not the correct way and just wastes energy as heat.

By tapping 12v+ from anywhere in the headlight, you're still sending the ballast a PWM signal and that will kill the ballast over time. It maybe a month or 2 years, but it will fail.

OP-I realize you may have a stock bulb setup. But I wanted to mention this because I can't stand vendors that sell HID kits and marketing them as plug and play. Just because they work, doesn't mean they are installed properly.
    Last edited by e90n52b30; 01-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your bulbs are indeed OEM, it could just be a loose connection. Try cleaning the connections and using a dielectric grease on them to promote conductivity.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e90n52b30 Click here to enlarge
    Even if this was true, that is still an improper way to tap power. Every signal in the headlight harness is manipulated with a PWM signal, with the exception of oem xenon equipped vehicles. If you tap power from the oem xenon setup, you overload the circuit and must step up the fuse rating. Again, that is improper because the wiring was not designed to carry a load of 2 additional HID ballasts. If you added a ballast on each circuit and stepped up the fuse rating, it may be ok. I still don't recommend that.

Proper way is grab 12v directly from the battery and you can tap that 12v+ from the jump point under the hood. That is one of the few unmolested signals in the car. 12v+ constant to relay and triggered by oem wiring. Then code warm and cold checks off for angel eye circuits. You can also wire load resistors across the positive negative wires for the angel eye circuit. Again, this is not the correct way and just wastes energy as heat.

By tapping 12v+ from anywhere in the headlight, you're still sending the ballast a PWM signal and that will kill the ballast over time. It maybe a month or 2 years, but it will fail.

OP-I realize you may have a stock bulb setup. But I wanted to mention this because I can't stand vendors that sell HID kits and marketing them as plug and play.
    Power on the Alpine kit isn't tapped from the headlight harness, it's tapped from the 12v jump point under the hood. passenger headlight harness only controls the relay. For simplicity sake they use the load resistors to prevent the failure error.

Either way, a moot point for the OP
    Last edited by Snertz; 01-25-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Power on the Alpine kit isn't tapped from the headlight harness, it's tapped from the 12v jump point under the hood. passenger headlight harness only controls the relay. For simplicity sake they use the load resistors to prevent the failure error.

Either way, a moot point for the OP
    Ahh ok. It sounded like the kit was tapped off the headlight harness.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Ahh ok. It sounded like the kit was tapped off the headlight harness.
    Yah, sorry for the confusion. I definitely agree that tapping off the the 12v point is the right way to go about powering the HID's. I do recall seeing somewhere that it isn't possible to power the HID's directly off our headlight harness since the car detects the higher current draw and shuts them off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yah, sorry for the confusion. I definitely agree that tapping off the the 12v point is the right way to go about powering the HID's. I do recall seeing somewhere that it isn't possible to power the HID's directly off our headlight harness since the car detects the higher current draw and shuts them off.
    I think it's more the PWM manipulation. It drops voltage under 12v. If you take a multimeter to the headlight harness, the majority of the wires are under 12v even with the engine running. For example, my 06' build E90 runs the angel eyes at 7.7v. Most HID ballast require at least 8v to operate hence the reason why sometimes you'll see kits flicker and/or shut off completely.

I imagine fogs run around this voltage as well. I deleted mine so I never checked.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I think it's more the PWM manipulation. It drops voltage under 12v. If you take a multimeter to the headlight harness, the majority of the wires are under 12v even with the engine running. For example, my 06' build E90 runs the angel eyes at 7.7v. Most HID ballast require at least 8v to operate hence the reason why sometimes you'll see kits flicker and/or shut off completely.

I imagine fogs run around this voltage as well. I deleted mine so I never checked.
    Ah I see, good to know, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I think whatever sort of AIDS your headlights had, transferred over to mine. My driverside projector bulb is really dim as of this morning. :[
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I think whatever sort of AIDS your headlights had, transferred over to mine. My driverside projector bulb is really dim as of this morning. :[
    This is what we get for leaving them alone together that night at Hooters. o.o