Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Blown engines and AWD questions

I searched for different threads because I am sure these have been asked before several times, but I could not find the relevant threads.

1: Have any N54 engines blown up (that is known about, at least) due to excessive power output, yet? I am not entirely sure what I mean by "blown up." I suppose I mean "catastrophic failure that requires replacing the engine."

2: What is usually the first thing to break on an AWD drivetrain on increased power or torque? When has this been seen to happen?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only engine failures I recall were due to meth failure at high boost.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    The only engine failures I recall were due to meth failure at high boost.
    And lack of tuning on nitrous (i.e. inappropriately high timing)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ha, i just assume on a long enough time line, nitrious will burn out any motor.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ferruccio Click here to enlarge
    I searched for different threads because I am sure these have been asked before several times, but I could not find the relevant threads.

1: Have any N54 engines blown up (that is known about, at least) due to excessive power output, yet? I am not entirely sure what I mean by "blown up." I suppose I mean "catastrophic failure that requires replacing the engine."

2: What is usually the first thing to break on an AWD drivetrain on increased power or torque? When has this been seen to happen?
    If you're just doing mild tuning you really have nothing to worry about.

Regarding all wheel drive, if you have a lot of power and you hook... it's got to go somewhere. Don't drop your clutch on fresh pavement on a hot summer day and you should be fine. Let the clutch take the abuse if you have to not the axles, driveshaft, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not asking what I should do with my own car. I'm asking whether horsepower alone has blown up the N54 yet, and what is usually the first to break on the AWD drivetrain.

Would I be completely right if these were the answers I gave? (not sure)

1: No N54 has blown up from too much power, yet. Some have blown up due to timing and fueling mishaps, however.

2: The first thing that usually goes, even on the AWD drivetrain, is snapped half shafts from wheel hop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2: The first thing that usually goes, even on the AWD drivetrain, is snapped half shafts from wheel hop.
    1st is correct. 2nd though on an AWD car the transfer case and/or diffs are usually the first to go.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm asking whether horsepower alone has blown up the N54 yet, and what is usually the first to break on the AWD drivetrain.
    I'm sure it has, nothing is bulletproof.

1: No N54 has blown up from too much power, yet. Some have blown up due to timing and fueling mishaps, however.
    Well the motor is having some trouble reaching big power ( Click here to enlarge ) but I think we have seen a few let go. Attribute it to what you will. The higher end horsepower levels are sort of unknown right now. All I can tell you is that you are fine at 5XX and there is a point where the stock internals will let go.

This tends to happen more on the rear wheel drive cars but sure, half shafts can go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to see how some of the Vishnu/RB high hp and boost parameters are looking. I'm sure one of them has either come close to, seen, or broken the threshold.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    1st is correct. 2nd though on an AWD car the transfer case and/or diffs are usually the first to go.
    Ahh, this is interesting! I have been hearing about some kind of upgrade for the transfer cases being in the works, but there simply were never enough interested customers pooling in for the fix. I think the reason for the fix was based on a worm gear on someone's transfer case giving out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The awd system on this car is actually more stout than originally thought. The teardown of the transfer case made alot of us fbo xi guys feel a little better. If anything our halfshafts are less likely to break since we are spreading the horsepower to the front and back vs the i guys who only send it to the rear.

I've made about 50 dragstrip runs cutting 1.6x 60s with no issues. (Knock on wood)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The n54 rods and block look pretty stout from what I could see. I'm not real familar with I-6s and the types of failure from long cranks etc though.

Most stock engines have problems with oem pistons first as modern engines tend to run pretty tight piston to wall clearances for emissions reasons. They can only take so much heat before they grow and snag in the bore and then its game over. A rebuilt engine with aftermarket pistons sized with better piston to wall clearance, better ring pack etc is worlds better vs stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    The n54 rods and block look pretty stout from what I could see.
    It's open deck...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That will certainly be an issue, but not at the power levels any N54 is making ATM.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Open deck is an open question but I think its probably overstated as an issue below 1000whp. This engine with Vargas stage 3 holding 24-25psi to 7000rpm will make 750+whp and probably hold together for at least several months of fun before the pistons break rings or ringlands. I'd love to learn more about how strong the bores are but if its reasonably well made without crappy castings I dont think it will split a cyl...at least not until around 1000whp where a lot of things could break. Even then you could probably make a girdle of sorts to close up the deck if were an issue. 1000whp engines are never cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Open deck is an open question but I think its probably overstated as an issue below 1000whp. This engine with Vargas stage 3 holding 24-25psi to 7000rpm will make 750+whp and probably hold together for at least several months of fun before the pistons break rings or ringlands. I'd love to learn more about how strong the bores are but if its reasonably well made without crappy castings I dont think it will split a cyl...at least not until around 1000whp where a lot of things could break. Even then you could probably make a girdle of sorts to close up the deck if were an issue. 1000whp engines are never cheap.
    It's not an issue at current power levels. We'll see when it is. I don't ever see an open deck being called stout though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not an issue at current power levels. We'll see when it is. I don't ever see an open deck being called stout though.
    Block posting and or good sleeves will remedy that. I hope no one falls for the "block Guard" bs alot of honda guys bought into.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Block posting and or good sleeves will remedy that. I hope no one falls for the "block Guard" bs alot of honda guys bought into.
    We'll see what happens once it is necessary.

Sleeves are one solution. I really wish getting a racing block designed wasn't a big deal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya. I think we're just using different scales for said adjectives. Stout is strong, "bulletproof" is my adjective for over 900-1000WHP. For what it is, and comparing it to similar cars/engines still in production, I'd say it's doing pretty well.