Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Is it possible to siphon the fuel out of the tank?

HI Guys,

I did a stupid stupid mistake (AGAIN! Click here to enlarge) of filling up with BP fuel. I was running on fumes and I had no choice but to pull in and it was in a BP station.

I am well aware that BP sells the most horrible fuel in USA. Every single time I've had to use their fuel something broke in my car.

After just 7 miles, my car started misfiring on cyl3. I suspect a clogged injector. Click here to enlarge

So, now to my original question: I want to dump the fuel that I have in the tank. I have one of these hand pumps which I use for pumping various liquids in and out of the car:

Click here to enlarge

Will this work for the gas tank? Has anyone here siphoned fuel successfully out of an E9x fuel tank? I know that some cars have filler necks designed such that you can't insert this type of a siphon in them so that people can't steal gas.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm assuming you're tuned. What brand of fuel did you tune on? Shell?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use BP 93 Octane every now and then. Nothing wrong with it?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BP fuel is not Top Tier manufacturer. For more information look here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Their fuel quality is lower than the one you get from Top Tier retailers. I've been driving in USA since 2000 and I've used BP fuel total of 5 times in 3 different cars. Every time I put BP fuel, something goes wrong related to the fuel system.

Last time it was 2 years ago and my HPFP crapped out within 20 miles if refueling with BP. I have 2 more documented cases of local friends of mine with 335i's also having their HPFP break down immediately following a BP fuel up.

I am now getting to the point where I'd rather run out of fuel and PUSH the car to the nearest Marathon or Shell, than to pull in and get BP fuel.

I don't want to even finish this gas tank. I want it out of my car. So the question stands: can I siphon this out with a hand pump like the one above?
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    I'm assuming you're tuned. What brand of fuel did you tune on? Shell?
    I run Cobb OTS Stage 2+ Aggressive map. My car is FBO, no meth.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the way to do it is find the fuel return line to the engine and then power the fuel pump and the tank will pump it self

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use BP on occasion too, no issues. I think just a terrible coincidence.

Usually I use Exxon or Gulf though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe the BP near you has a rusted tank in which they store their 93 octane?
    I never had issues with BP gasoline.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I boycott BP because of the way they handled the Gulf oil spill and their other shady business practices. Yes, I know most of the big oil companies are shady, but BP is Super Shady.

Sunoco is my first choice, but will also do 7-11 brand and sometimes Exxon. Sunoco has great prices/availability near me and they have E85 3 miles from my house, so its a no brainer.

I laughed at the part about pushing the car instead of filling up with BP....Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I run Cobb OTS Stage 2+ Aggressive map. My car is FBO, no meth.
    I hear that, but what brand did you tune on? This definitely matters. Also since you're referencing your friends 335i's, is it possible they were plagued by the HPFP issue?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im filling my car up with corn ethanol and it still runs fine, one tank of BP will be ok.

Hey i got my first light green gem! yay

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @vasillalov, just buy a good fuel system cleaner, and run it with your whole tank of gas, and you should be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First off people should know that a BP fueling station does not always sell BP fuel. The get was is in their area. As long as they have proper tanks, filters, lines and standard practices which most stations due you shouldn't notice any difference between that station and the one across the street. As for HPFP issues I don't see any possible way that a type of standard 93 gas can do anything to harm it. There's screens and filters in the fuel system that should be enough to filter out just about any nasty that could harm your fuel system aside from other chemicals that could get in there.

As for getting it out the easiest thing is to pop the back seat out and get into the tank on the passenger side. Getting in through the filler isn't going to happen lots of people have tried, I've had luck getting a little for a sample 2 of of 20 times trying no matter what the fuel level was. The ring can be a pain to get off here's a link to a tool I made to make it easier http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...fuel-pump-tool

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think this is not attributed to BP. Something else must be up. If a single fill-up of a gasoline of a specified anti-knock rating shows an instant difference in your car, including clogged injectors or sudden misfires, that's the kind if stuff local news would love to hear about. I have a sense that something that pervasive would be a serious talking point nationwide. Also, what Brusk said holds true. It really depends on what fuel is available.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys should listen to the news more often. Do a web search cuz a few monthss ago, BP recalled a very Large batch of fuel all across the midwest, in a number of states due to contamination of their fuel. Several thousand cars were damaged and are currently under a class action. It could be that BP is trying to blend in this rejected batch of fuel, so as not to take a huge loss. @vasillalov, look into this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The fuel is really that bad? If you got the correct octane rating it's kind of odd isn't it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow, BP here in australia is the best of the big chains
    united has the best Ethanol fuels (own refinery).. but BP has the best premium 100% unleaded. bst consistency and all. most expensive too though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get a "super syphon".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I used that exact same tool to TRY and remove fuel out of my car without any luck. I ended up going back to stock tune and driving my car gently for that tank of gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You guys should listen to the news more often. Do a web search cuz a few monthss ago, BP recalled a very Large batch of fuel all across the midwest, in a number of states due to contamination of their fuel. Several thousand cars were damaged and are currently under a class action. It could be that BP is trying to blend in this rejected batch of fuel, so as not to take a huge loss. @vasillalov , look into this.
    Don't watch very much TV so didn't hear about that one. Regardless though stations typically get whatever fuel is at the local refineries or distribution center so it should be basically the same in most areas but maybe in your area there is actually multiple choices. Looks like polymeric residue was the issue that can cause difficult starting. Hopefully you can get a refund for the work done from them. Either way though I would just get into the tank and pump it out if that's the route your going.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How you would do it is basically stick that hose down and then stick another smaller tube like a meth line into the original hose that you snaked down there...Once down siphon the gas out of the little meth line...There is some type of valve that only allows fuel to travel down and not up...I seen people do this during the Sandy storm in New York and it was quite effective..;.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    How you would do it is basically stick that hose down and then stick another smaller tube like a meth line into the original hose that you snaked down there...Once down siphon the gas out of the little meth line...There is some type of valve that only allows fuel to travel down and not up...I seen people do this during the Sandy storm in New York and it was quite effective..;.
    I don't think there's any kind of valve in this system. I do think that the way it snakes and the angle it goes in forces the hose to end up and the top of the tank and no way to get to the bottom through the filler. I've tried several different types of hoses and never had any success other than maybe a few cups.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I drove around today aimlessly trying to burn off all the $#@!ty BP fuel that's in my tank. The car runs fine till I get into high-load situations. Anything above 16 psi causes Cyl 3 to misfire. You let go off the gas, drive 1-2 miles easy and the ECU reset the injector and the car starts firing on all 6 again, the CEL disappears and only a stored DTC code is in the ECU.

Here is what I pulled:

29CF
    29CF Misfirings, cylinder 3
    Error will cause a warning light
    Error is not currently present
    Test conditions have been completed
    Short circuit or signal interruption

Freeze Frame Information
    Event 1Odometer 52800kms 32808miles
    Engine temperature 96.00 C
    load value for misfire detection 99.61 %
    Engine speed 4,192.00 rpm
    Lambda integrator group 1 17.19 %

Now... I have a question: Can anyone explain to me what does "Lambda integrator group 1 17.19 %" mean? Obviously this is referring to bank 1 of cylinders, which makes sense since the misfire is on cyl 3.

But what is 17.19%? Is this AFR? If it is, that's super super lean, isn't it? If this is indeed the case, then my bet is that this $#@!ty BP fuel clogged my injector ant it is failing to deliver sufficient fuel at high-boost condition, which would explain the high AFR.

Thoughts, comments?
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    I hear that, but what brand did you tune on? This definitely matters. Also since you're referencing your friends 335i's, is it possible they were plagued by the HPFP issue?
    The hpfp issues have been fixed for a while now...bmw's newest pump and software (which primes the pump when pressing the unlock button on ur key) have pretty much solved it.

I dont get how brand can really effect it that much, if it's 93 Oct I would think your fine. I switch between shell, sunoco, and exxon with no issues.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    The hpfp issues have been fixed for a while now...bmw's newest pump and software (which primes the pump when pressing the unlock button on ur key) have pretty much solved it.

I dont get how brand can really effect it that much, if it's 93 Oct I would think your fine. I switch between shell, sunoco, and exxon with no issues.

It's not just about the octane rating. It's about fuel purity and additives. I've seen sediments, debris and all kinds of other crap floating inside the BP fuel. I know different regions get different fuels depending on the refineries, but we must have some really crappy BP fuel here in Chicagoland.

Think about it: there is a reason why BP is not a Top Tier fuel retailer.

P.S.: I have the suspicion that I will probably end up replacing that injector, which is nothing complicated, just an annoyance. I am only hoping nothing else breaks.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast