Close

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    Tried Macallan 12 yrs and that was a mistake.
    Explain.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Explain.
    Too young. Very strong and hard to drink. Others who drank 18y prolly don't experience that as it gets smoother w aging

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I found the Macallan 12 very easy to drink and quite smooth personally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    what do you mean?

there's 2 types of scotch within the 'regional' types

a blend and a single malt

blends are .. well, multiple single malts blended together - CHEAPER blends add in grain alcohol for price and sweetness

better single malts ( a la JW green label) don't contain grain whiskey, but they're still a blend.

Single malts are just scotch that are from a single distillery.

>
    • Green Label: a blended malt (a blend of only single-malts) using predominantly four malts "drawn from the four corners of Scotland"—the intent of the blend is to deliver depth, substance, and intensity. Each of the malts (Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, Caol Ila, and others) is selected by the blender for balance and each malt whisky is matured for a minimum of 15 years. Green Label was expected to be discontinued as of December 2011, but production continues though it is becoming increasingly difficult to find.[11][12][13]

Quite often, purely because the green has more DISTINCT flavours than the blue, as well as being 1/3 the price, it will score higher.

personally i find that blue is a bit TOO smooth, green has distinct flavours from the scotch it uses, blue masks them - on top of that.. do you think it's THREE times better than green label? (3x the price and all)

The problem with blue is it takes a bunch of GREAT scotches, and blends so many together you lose all the flavours that MAKES them good.. and charges a combined price!

as for a scotch half the price of blue that's better?

well most people love lagavulin 16, and it's half the price

i'd prefer my bottle of quinta ruban any day of the week

oban, talisker, laphroaig, VARIOUS glenfiddichs for <$100 (malt masters, 14, 15,)... for less/similar price to blue, you could get a bottle of glenfiddich 18, 19... there's about 6 glenmorangie i'd prefer that are about half the price..

Okay, we are on two separate pages, and I feel like I am repeating myself... When I say "blend" I mean the fact that it each bottle will come from the same cask - this does not hold true for Whiskey, but can. OF COURSE you can have multiple malts in a single bottle of scotch.

re: 3x price for Blue vs. Green - it depends on if you drink your scotch based on a score, or based on what you prefer. Scotch (imo) is supposed to have a few very distinct notes/flavors (mostly oak/wood imo), and the smoother the better. It's all in what you prefer - I could care less about scores - but that's just me. I like what I like. The blue is going to be smoother - and that's why you would buy a 25 year scotch - so it's smooth.

Lagavulin Scotch 16 Year (750 ML) - that is 87.99 at Binny's beverage depot down the street from me - blue label is 150 dollars - not quite 3x the price, but I get your point. You are paying for the smoothness of blue label, and the fact it's been sitting in a storage area for 25 years vs 16.

Regarding the "mixing" or "blending" - however, I stress our definitions are not == yet Click here to enlarge - this, as an example: http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Gordon...ask_59904.html

Would likely BLOW AWAY any 10-12 year scotch - but it's only 7 year's old. This cask was handpicked - and is likely a good purchase for the dollar. Most 7 year scotch is garbage compared to a 10-12, but this - wouldn't be (guessing, never tried it). Just trying to get us on the same page with "blend".

Other than that, I think we are on the same page - just the blended stuff got us off track

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why not?
    Well, all scotch is a whiskey, but all whiskey is not a scotch. Sure, there are really good whiskey's - but in general a scotch is going to be "better" than a whiskey - this is coming from a scotch drinker, not a fan of sour mashes/etc. - but haven't tried a really good whiskey either... I will give it a go, I was trying to explain something (See above post) - flinchy and I were disagreeing on two separate things I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a surprisingly complex topic.

I have been drinking a ton of whiskey this weekend so far though. Hasn't been easy on the wallet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, we are on two separate pages, and I feel like I am repeating myself... When I say "blend" I mean the fact that it each bottle will come from the same cask - this does not hold true for Whiskey, but can. OF COURSE you can have multiple malts in a single bottle of scotch.

re: 3x price for Blue vs. Green - it depends on if you drink your scotch based on a score, or based on what you prefer. Scotch (imo) is supposed to have a few very distinct notes/flavors (mostly oak/wood imo), and the smoother the better. It's all in what you prefer - I could care less about scores - but that's just me. I like what I like. The blue is going to be smoother - and that's why you would buy a 25 year scotch - so it's smooth.

Lagavulin Scotch 16 Year (750 ML) - that is 87.99 at Binny's beverage depot down the street from me - blue label is 150 dollars - not quite 3x the price, but I get your point. You are paying for the smoothness of blue label, and the fact it's been sitting in a storage area for 25 years vs 16.

Regarding the "mixing" or "blending" - however, I stress our definitions are not == yet Click here to enlarge - this, as an example: http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Gordon...ask_59904.html

Would likely BLOW AWAY any 10-12 year scotch - but it's only 7 year's old. This cask was handpicked - and is likely a good purchase for the dollar. Most 7 year scotch is garbage compared to a 10-12, but this - wouldn't be (guessing, never tried it). Just trying to get us on the same page with "blend".

Other than that, I think we are on the same page - just the blended stuff got us off track
    ahhh you mean how say.. many Whisk(e)y's are blended across batches to maintain consistency? yeah that's slightly different haha

as far as i'm aware though, to maintain consistency between batches, scotches DO do that though, not just bourbons?

I know JW for a fact does blend cross batches, if they didn't, they wouldn't be popular as the taste would drastically vary from month to month or year to year, and they can't unintentionally have that. If you buy a bottle of JW *colour* anywhere in the world, it should taste identical or near it.

and NO, you do NOT buy a 25yo because it's smooth, they actually get LESS smooth because the flavours become stronger!.. more time sokaing up the smokey wood flavour.

take note, the blue isn't a 25, it has no age statement!

and yes i was going for half the price haha... but again, JW blue isn't 25+.

JW blue is popular amongst people that don't REALLY like scotch... if you like blue, and you go try to drink any one particular region, you probably won't like it as much because none will be that smooth... smoothness by most scotch fans standards isn't necessarily a positive trait.

ED:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_malt_whisky

see 'blended' section, stating that they can blend over different batches

that's why they sell special edition 'single barrel' or 'small batch' etc.. that taste different, because they are NOT mixed over multiple batches.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 02-08-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, all scotch is a whiskey, but all whiskey is not a scotch. Sure, there are really good whiskey's - but in general a scotch is going to be "better" than a whiskey - this is coming from a scotch drinker, not a fan of sour mashes/etc. - but haven't tried a really good whiskey either... I will give it a go, I was trying to explain something (See above post) - flinchy and I were disagreeing on two separate things I think.
    isn't it all scotch are whisky (no e), but no other whiskey(with the e) are scotch?

semantics lol.

But yes, there are many Whiskey's that are worth drinking, i do suggest (once you have tried a LOT of scotch) to try branching out in to american/irish stuff, as it's COMPLETELY different... not better or worse IMO... i mean, many scotch's are aged in bourbon barrels! must be good Click here to enlarge

and yes we were disagreeing on slightly different things, but it does turn out that even scotch mix batches.

and then it gets even more complex, with you can't called tennessee Whiskey bourbon, because it doesn't have enough corn etc...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I have been drinking a ton of whiskey this weekend so far though. Hasn't been easy on the wallet.
    you should check out some of the stuff on /r/scotch sometimes.. gets a bit weird.. usually pretty good though lol. tons of reviews more than anything

and agreed with the wallet bit...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ehhh, I'd tend to disagree with this. Obviously the topic is extremely subjective. I think scotches are generally more complex than your average bourbon, but that doesn't make the bourbon a "worse" drink.

Give a decent Japanese whiskey a try, they do good work over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had a Japanese whiskey at baconfest today. It was ok but couldn't compare to a nice scotch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah it's not a 1:1 substitute. But they're a nice change of pace from the normal bourbon/scotch rotation I'm on. Catches a lot of people off guard that Japan even has a whiskey scene.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had a Japanese whiskey at baconfest today. It was ok but couldn't compare to a nice scotch
    Eat Drink Play holds some great events. Years ago I went to their sake tasting. Was so much fun. Got blitzed out of my mind. On a side note, Japanese whiskeys are really coming up.
    JB Stage 2 ISO, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 front control arms, RPI scoops, CDV delete

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Last nights tipple was very smooth not bad at all.

Click here to enlarge
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This site is pretty good for tasting notes and extra information on vintage, botteling date etc. I appreciate its not much use for you guys in the US but at least you can laugh at how much more expensive it is for us here in the UK. got to love how much tax we are stung for!

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jdub679 Click here to enlarge
    Eat Drink Play holds some great events. Years ago I went to their sake tasting. Was so much fun. Got blitzed out of my mind. On a side note, Japanese whiskeys are really coming up.
    I go to pretty much all of their stuff. Beerfest is probably my favorite event out of anything in the year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

It's extremely complex - I would say its the wine of the hard stuff. Definitely not easy on the wallet - the only thing good in that regard is it's supposed to be sipped slowly instead of slammed quick. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    Ehhh, I'd tend to disagree with this. Obviously the topic is extremely subjective. I think scotches are generally more complex than your average bourbon, but that doesn't make the bourbon a "worse" drink.

Give a decent Japanese whiskey a try, they do good work over there.
    Understood. I am not getting my thoughts out right. I meant for me and what I have had. Definitely cannot speak for everyone, especially when I haven't tried enough of the good whiskeys. As you said, super subjective - but I'm general, I would say that a random bottle of scotch purchased at a liquor store at random vs. the same with whiskey, for someone looking for a nightcap - the scotch would be preferred. Not sure if that makes sense, but meant the generality of it - and speaking from my little experience on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    isn't it all scotch are whisky (no e), but no other whiskey(with the e) are scotch?

semantics lol.

But yes, there are many Whiskey's that are worth drinking, i do suggest (once you have tried a LOT of scotch) to try branching out in to american/irish stuff, as it's COMPLETELY different... not better or worse IMO... i mean, many scotch's are aged in bourbon barrels! must be good Click here to enlarge

and yes we were disagreeing on slightly different things, but it does turn out that even scotch mix batches.

and then it gets even more complex, with you can't called tennessee Whiskey bourbon, because it doesn't have enough corn etc...
    I honestly didn't know that about the naming convention - that's interesting. +1ed on that.

I am not sure about the mixing - but was nearly 100% sure that was true. Are you 100% on that? I would understand that a non single malt would be mixed from many whiskeys; but what I mean is if there are two barrels of whiskey (x1 and x2), a bottle sold will not have some from x1 and x2 - even though they are from the same batch. Not sure if that makes any sense at all Click here to enlarge

Regarding blue label, I thought it was a 25, but instead looks like it has a blend of some "exotic" whiskeys, some claimed to be up to 50 years of age. Who knows. You would think for a bottle that expensive, they would give you a bit more detail. I would love a bottle though - no doubt about it.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Re - and NO, you do NOT buy a 25yo because it's smooth, they actually get LESS smooth because the flavours become stronger!.. more time sokaing up the smokey wood flavour.

---

This is something I would firmly disagree... out of everything we have talked about smoothness and taste are two different dimensions. I am talking about the sillky feeling in your mouth. You can easily discern this using a 10 and 15 year, it's not even close.

Taste? Yes, that's going to change with time - some like the oaky flavor, some don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Re - and NO, you do NOT buy a 25yo because it's smooth, they actually get LESS smooth because the flavours become stronger!.. more time sokaing up the smokey wood flavour.

---

This is something I would firmly disagree... out of everything we have talked about smoothness and taste are two different dimensions. I am talking about the sillky feeling in your mouth. You can easily discern this using a 10 and 15 year, it's not even close.

Taste? Yes, that's going to change with time - some like the oaky flavor, some don't.
    Agreed as well. Every book I've read on whiskey says the longer something sits on oak, the more mellow (read: smooth) it becomes. It is also more likely to pick up a smokier flavor over time versus a vanilla/caramel flavor. If I had to guess, smoothness is likely attributed to the burn of the alcohol - the longer it sits, the more likely the alcohol content is to go down (evaporation, soaking in to the wood, etc), which will limit some of the burn.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Understood. I am not getting my thoughts out right. I meant for me and what I have had. Definitely cannot speak for everyone, especially when I haven't tried enough of the good whiskeys. As you said, super subjective - but I'm general, I would say that a random bottle of scotch purchased at a liquor store at random vs. the same with whiskey, for someone looking for a nightcap - the scotch would be preferred. Not sure if that makes sense, but meant the generality of it - and speaking from my little experience on it.
    Yeah I'm with you. Still, I encourage everyone I meet who only drinks one thing (or one type of thing) to venture out.

One of the great things about scotch is that it's so diverse within the category. That sometimes makes it tough to convince a hardcore scotch drinker that anything else is worthwhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's extremely complex - I would say its the wine of the hard stuff. Definitely not easy on the wallet - the only thing good in that regard is it's supposed to be sipped slowly instead of slammed quick. Click here to enlarge
    I'm very much inclined to agree with this.

It's meant to be savored as is a fine wine. I love that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Agreed as well. Every book I've read on whiskey says the longer something sits on oak, the more mellow (read: smooth) it becomes. It is also more likely to pick up a smokier flavor over time versus a vanilla/caramel flavor. If I had to guess, smoothness is likely attributed to the burn of the alcohol - the longer it sits, the more likely the alcohol content is to go down (evaporation, soaking in to the wood, etc), which will limit some of the burn.

-Rich
    Wine picks up more of the wood depending on how long it sits and what kind of wood the barrel is made from. Usually too long will impart too much of an oaky flavor but some like that.

I find I am preferring the younger scotches because they seem to be more mellow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I'm with you. Still, I encourage everyone I meet who only drinks one thing (or one type of thing) to venture out.

One of the great things about scotch is that it's so diverse within the category. That sometimes makes it tough to convince a hardcore scotch drinker that anything else is worthwhile.
    Well said.

This reminds me of trying to get people to branch out in wine who only stick to say Cabernets. It's a big world of taste out there, explore it.

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast