Close

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Typical 335i Woes (white smoke)

    Gents, I am running catless downpipes in my 335i. Every once in a while, the car will release quite a bit of white smoke from the tailpipes. Sometimes at idling and sometimes driving around slowly. I also smell something burning and my oil has gone down to a quarter. Just had 2 oil leaks fixed in the car and yet the car still is acting awfully sketchy. Any ideas?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    132
    Rep Points
    211.7
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Valve cover gasket or turbo seal?

    I get a puff of white smoke going wot but I think that's unburnt fuel and not oil.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pits200 Click here to enlarge
    Valve cover gasket or turbo seal?

    I get a puff of white smoke going wot but I think that's unburnt fuel and not oil.
    According to my shop... neither one was the case a month ago.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    2.0
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Gents, I am running catless downpipes in my 335i. Every once in a while, the car will release quite a bit of white smoke from the tailpipes. Sometimes at idling and sometimes driving around slowly. I also smell something burning and my oil has gone down to a quarter. Just had 2 oil leaks fixed in the car and yet the car still is acting awfully sketchy. Any ideas?
    You just answered your own question. Totally normal, unless the smoke is blue.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,936
    Rep Points
    2,858.8
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Secondary cats in place?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Secondary cats in place?
    yes... just catless DP's... I am thinking it may be normal due to the weather changes. Car's performance is incredible at the moment.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Points
    1,450.5
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    if theres a lot of water in the air (foggy or rainy out) my car releases enormous amounts of condensation. It has scared me several times making me think i blew something. when the air is dry and crisp, there is little condensation when fully warmed up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,936
    Rep Points
    2,858.8
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    yes... just catless DP's... I am thinking it may be normal due to the weather changes. Car's performance is incredible at the moment.
    FWIW, i never had smoking issues with my secondary cats in place. Once i removed them, it started smoking pretty bad and i found out one or both turbos were leaking coolant into the exhaust. If you are seeing smoke make it passed the secondary cats, your turbos would have to be leaking oil or coolant quite bad.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    yes... just catless DP's... I am thinking it may be normal due to the weather changes. Car's performance is incredible at the moment.
    You likely have nothing to worry about, just monitor the car.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    FWIW, i never had smoking issues with my secondary cats in place. Once i removed them, it started smoking pretty bad and i found out one or both turbos were leaking coolant into the exhaust. If you are seeing smoke make it passed the secondary cats, your turbos would have to be leaking oil or coolant quite bad.
    exactly what I worry about but i was told at the time neither was an issue... i think its an environmental condition plus the catless dp's
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Points
    71.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Mines done this multiple times. I don't lose any oil between oil changes and coolant level is constant. So, after being very concerned myself I've just determined it has to be condensation. Also, it doesn't usually happen until the car has run for 10 minutes or so. And yes, it's usually only noticeable when I'm going slow.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •