Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    Custom plug and play housings, TD04 16gs. Done :-).
    Why force yourself to play with old tech when custom making a kit? I think the GTX2863Rs are a great choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ajsalida, best post I have seen in a while.

carl, td04 16g is a very poor turbine/compressor combo. 16g is a compressor that fits well with the TD05 turbines. A great proposition would be however a TD04HL-19T (I built quite a few of these for other platforms and they are great). It does seem there are some builders who enjoy building turbos that have large mismatches without considering the basics, ce la vie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If its that simple Carl, why don't you build them for us? I personally would not use 16G's. I love how everyone knows how to do it....Click here to enlarge
    Hey, you're the guru...it makes more sense for me to focus on software and let you focus on this. But yes, I know my statement was the equivalent of "it's just a few lines of code, just do it" :-).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Why force yourself to play with old tech when custom making a kit? I think the GTX2863Rs are a great choice.
    It looks like they are a great choice if you're replacing everything. For a cheap plug and play kit it seems like it would be easier to fit TD04 hardware in place of TD03s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    ajsalida, best post I have seen in a while.

carl, td04 16g is a very poor turbine/compressor combo.
    I've owned multiple 16gs, but never a TD04. The combo seemed to work reasonably well for the SRT4 Neon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I'm not sure I would say people don't want to spend the kind of money it takes to build this kind of kit. I just spent $15k building a 9 year old EVO. I spent $15k on my 335i before I sold it. The problem is with the lack of options people don't want to over pay for things that should cost much less, just like the Level ten upgrade and the Vishnu single kit. The Level ten upgrade is $4,498 if you send them your tranny first. I find that to be over priced. They can charge that because there are no other options. Same reason only 12 ST kits have been sold. People don't want to over pay for it but they can charge what they want to because they are the only option. If that kit was $1400 less, it would have sold many more kits. I guarantee it. It's all about what you are getting for your hard earned $$$$. I have a feeling your TT kits will outsell the ST kit in no time if it does indeed come out around the price you're shooting for. Hell if my project 135i wasn't an AT or there was a better tranny rebuild option, I'd just ship you the car to test fit the 135i kit on it. It's all about people feeling they've gotten a good deal.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This thread is exactly why we are working on other options besides the stage 3. We are confident it is going to perform as advertised with the twin GTX's. But people just don't want to spend the kind of money it takes to build a kit like this. I know a lot of people are curious about stage 3, but I am not sure that translates into kit sales. Halfway through the LPFP swap on the test car, clutch comes in tomorrow, prototype should be finalized this week. Lets keep our fingers crossed for firing it up end of next week, or weekend.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So great of an idea, i started looking for used trannies and guess what. 30k mile AT for $1605 shipped. Not a bad price for a good spare. Great idea @themyst

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Imo u bust tranny buy a used one sell busted tranny its like a core charge. By the time u pop the second one you'll have moved onto another car.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    It looks like they are a great choice if you're replacing everything. For a cheap plug and play kit it seems like it would be easier to fit TD04 hardware in place of TD03s.
    Perhaps this is the wrong platform for 'cheap' plug and play kits? RBs and I assume Vargas Stage 2s are going to be about as good as plug and play gets on this platform. If you're already spending $$$ on custom manifolds and other hardware, why would you want to save only a small amount of money by getting old turbos and giving up a load of response, powerband, and peak power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps this is the wrong platform for 'cheap' plug and play kits? RBs and I assume Vargas Stage 2s are going to be about as good as plug and play gets on this platform. If you're already spending $$$ on custom manifolds and other hardware, why would you want to save only a small amount of money by getting old turbos and giving up a load of response, powerband, and peak power?
    The options are continuing to grow. Carl is right about custom housings and plug and play turbos, I simply said I don't think 16G is the way to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree that this is a more expensive platform and people will generally be willing to spend a little more. Maybe even more than I'm thinking. The problem with RBs and Stage IIs is that a person who is used to other platforms is used to being able to get more than a 20-25% gain from replacing turbos. If it really is impossible to go bigger on replacement turbos then they'll just have to deal with that, but I don't think that's true. As soon as the market is big enough to justify custom factory-footprint housings I'm betting that someone will do it. And while they won't be able to match the performance of a big ST or Stage III, they could probably cut the difference in half for half the price. Just look at what FP was able to do for the EVOs using custom housings. If I can get 65 lb/min from replacement turbos versus 80lb/min by completely replacing everything at twice the cost, I'm going to go with the replacement turbos. Besides saving money, it will confuse the dealer a lot less if/when I need to get work done there AND it won't have any special software needs other than a map that provides the correct WGDC. All the same advantages as RB and Stage II.

I say all this as one of the more likely people to pony up for Stage IIIs if I can be convinced that they'll go a few years before having to deal with any leaks or failures. I want/need factory reliability (such as it is) and I figure I'm more likely to get that from factory footprint parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

The way the world works is usually things improve with time. But it's just a matter of how much time can you stomach? Life is short, things and interests change. Should you have fun with your interests today, or defer them until an unknown later date? The answer to that lies in truly how much of an enthusiast you are today. If you are N54 for life and have years to wait for what could be, then by all means do that. I have worked several platforms and unfortunately these types of platforms rarely get big market support. The fact is that's why you have builders such as RB, FFTEC/Vishnu, and Vargas. This is a niche market, and I highly suspect it will always be one. Especially seeing that the chassis and other limitations seem to hold it up to a high 10 car at best. Too many bottlenecks, and becomes a massive money pit trying to push the envelope. Love the platform, but my $.02.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would ya look at that! LOL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Would ya look at that! LOL

Click here to enlarge
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    The way the world works is usually things improve with time. But it's just a matter of how much time can you stomach? Life is short, things and interests change. Should you have fun with your interests today, or defer them until an unknown later date? The answer to that lies in truly how much of an enthusiast you are today. If you are N54 for life and have years to wait for what could be, then by all means do that. I have worked several platforms and unfortunately these types of platforms rarely get big market support. The fact is that's why you have builders such as RB, FFTEC/Vishnu, and Vargas. This is a niche market, and I highly suspect it will always be one. Especially seeing that the chassis and other limitations seem to hold it up to a high 10 car at best. Too many bottlenecks, and becomes a massive money pit trying to push the envelope. Love the platform, but my $.02.
    Well said.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How far this platform goes is totally going to depend on limits that have not been yet determined and how much the chassis depreciates. At this point in time the platform is still way too expensive to get a huge following, but after its 10-20 years old I could see people racing it IF component prices drop and more options open up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For whats its worth, I chose this platform for that exact reason. Most big companies are staying away which leaves a lot of room for development. Trying to jump into a pool full of vendors all doing the same thing is usually a recipe for frustration. I don't think having the N54 as your only platform would really be a solid long term goal or viable business plan. We are already branching out into other performance platforms now that I made the decision to move back in to the performance turbocharger arena, and things are looking bright. With that said, totally excited to see what we can do with the N54 in the next 12 months. I see it moving forward at a much faster pace than it has in the past few years

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i certainly hope so Tony. Moving forward at a much faster pace that is.

For whats its worth, I chose this platform for that exact reason. Most big companies are staying away which leaves a lot of room for development. Trying to jump into a pool full of vendors all doing the same thing is usually a recipe for frustration. I don't think having the N54 as your only platform would really be a solid long term goal or viable business plan. We are already branching out into other performance platforms now that I made the decision to move back in to the performance turbocharger arena, and things are looking bright. With that said, totally excited to see what we can do with the N54 in the next 12 months. I see it moving forward at a much faster pace than it has in the past few years

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ford Ecoboost on your radar?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Ford Ecoboost on your radar?
    Locked and loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Locked and loaded
    N55 and N20 are pretty big upcoming markets too. All the N55 guys must be itching to get a turbo setup to finally be anything near an N54...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    N55 and N20 are pretty big upcoming markets too. All the N55 guys must be itching to get a turbo setup to finally be anything near an N54...
    I feel like nobody in the N55 market seems to be interested in pushing the platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I feel like nobody in the N55 market seems to be interested in pushing the platform.
    They'll prob get the FBO, Race & E85 Mapping from COBB and then everyone's attention will immediately go to tuning the new M3/M4
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    We do a lot of business with both motors. We've pushed the N55 further than anyone else. At this point we just need someone to step up and make a higher flowing turbo for it.

The N20 on the other hand has a lot of room to grow from where we are now. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    We are very interested and see it as the next step in the N54-55 platform. We are almost to the place in our N54 turbos where we can turn our focus on something else. The N55, N20 and new M3 all have us very interested. the N55 is next on list though. You guys are not forgotten. Thats a promise

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast