Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

intercooler or meth for next mod? opinions needed

Car: 2007 E92 335i Auto trans.
    Mods: Jb4 ISO, BMS DCI, BMS Downpipes, and 40-50% E85

Was just wondering if an intercooler or meth would be better for me and which would yield the most performance? Mostly do highway pulls and planning to do some 1/4 mile runs. My car is a daily driver. I don't mind the mixing and adding meth when it runs low since I won't be running meth all the time. Keep in mind that I live in Michigan/Illinois, so it's not crazy hot like TX or Cali.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since you're already running e85 I would suggest an intercooler.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IC is first mod after tune and dci imho. Add 20whp on top end consistently if you are doing E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here is my car before and after installing my helix intercooler. The stock run was cobb ots stage 1 puting out only 315whp and the helix run was e85 OTS puting out 405whp. It goes to show how truly $#@!ting the stock fmic is for these power levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    Same.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    Agree.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Meth would be best bang for the buck, especially since you are using the JB4 which can't reduce the DME pulling timing due to high IAT's. Intercooler would keep your turbos around longer.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The first performance mod I made to my car was a Helix FMIC. This was before a tune, intake, and DPs.

But then again, I DO live in Texas...lol...
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Meth will be the biggest bang for your buck. Many people will say that FMIC will benefit you all the time as meth will only benefit during wot. I'm building my second n54 and ill tell you if the car didn't come with an aftermarket FMIC that would have been my last mod. I absolutely loved running meth once Ioved it to the trunk from the WW. The performance gains are leaps and bounds better than what a FMIC will yield and its much cheaper.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You will end up with both, so just pick one

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You dont need a FMIC if your running meth, Hotrod has proven that.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    You dont need a FMIC if your running meth, Hotrod has proven that.
    I agree with this statement, even though it cant hurt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will eventually get both, but I'm looking for most power for highway pulls and 1/4mile runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Meth will be the biggest bang for your buck. Many people will say that FMIC will benefit you all the time as meth will only benefit during wot. I'm building my second n54 and ill tell you if the car didn't come with an aftermarket FMIC that would have been my last mod. I absolutely loved running meth once Ioved it to the trunk from the WW. The performance gains are leaps and bounds better than what a FMIC will yield and its much cheaper.
    This was what I was looking for. I'm now contemplating meth first, because of the way I drive. I was thinking a cruise around anyways and never really notice any heat problems when just cruising. When I do get on it, the meth will be running.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    With E85 in the tank I disagree that meth is a better mod than an fmic. Pressure drop across the stock fmic is very large at higher boost levels. At max tune potential the turbos are pushed much harder than with a better flowing unit. This alone makes an fmic worth it. Its not always peak numbers and glory runs but if you're after that than go for it but I wouldn't suggest it. Meth should really come after intake, dps and fmic unless you're looking to be able to pull things off fast in case of warranty which has nothing to do with proper tuning.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    With E85 in the tank I disagree that meth is a better mod than an fmic. Pressure drop across the stock fmic is very large at higher boost levels. At max tune potential the turbos are pushed much harder than with a better flowing unit. This alone makes an fmic worth it. Its not always peak numbers and glory runs but if you're after that than go for it but I wouldn't suggest it. Meth should really come after intake, dps and fmic unless you're looking to be able to pull things off fast in case of warranty which has nothing to do with proper tuning.
    LOL. This has got me going back and forth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I was going to jump in here and say FMI for sure next, but everyone else beat me to it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see that some say that meth is easier to install, but I feel like installing a trunk mount would be harder than an intercooler install. If I was to go with an intercooler I would get the VRSF intercooler, and BMS trunk mount kit if meth. Which means that the prices would be pretty close to each other.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E85 isn't very accessible here (45min drive), and I couldn't argue with the cost to performance ratio of meth. I love my meth. Whenever I see the blue LEDs light on on my meth controller, I know I'm having too much fun lol.

I may run with a FMIC later on down the line, but it would be my last mod, for sure. I'll get a LSD before then, most likely.

I do have a local friend (@xShadows )with an N54 who may end up going the FMIC/E85 route rather than meth (he lives closer to the E85 pump), and we both decided that we'd compare notes once his build is done.

Edit: lol just noticed you already posted in this thread xShadows.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    E85 isn't very accessible here (45min drive), and I couldn't argue with the cost to performance ratio of meth. I love my meth. Whenever I see the blue LEDs light on on my meth controller, I know I'm having too much fun lol.

I may run with a FMIC later on down the line, but it would be my last mod, for sure. I'll get a LSD before then, most likely.

I do have a local friend (@xShadows )with an N54 who may end up going the FMIC/E85 route rather than meth (he lives closer to the E85 pump), and we both decided that we'd compare notes once his build is done.
    I'd like to see those results. I have no problem finding e85 here. I can get it everywhere around here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge

I do have a local friend (xShadows) with an N54 who may end up going the FMIC/E85 route rather than meth (he lives closer to the E85 pump), and we both decided that we'd compare notes once his build is done.

Edit: lol just noticed you already posted in this thread xShadows.
    Yeah, it will be fun to see the results of your Auto N54 with Meth and my 6MT N54 with E85. We will be running the opposites... except both our cars are black. :X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Provided you run an E85 blend and get a custom flash tune for it (appropriate timing, boost, vanos, fuel scalars and AFR) there is nothing a meth only no fmic car can do to win the race in the 1/4 or in a hwy roll given everything else the same and both cars are mechanically sound and use the same tranny.

Meth distribution across the motor will never provide for the same quality of fuel delivery as what comes from the DI fuel injectors.

With E85, FMIC first, meth later
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Provided you run an E85 blend and get a custom flash tune for it (appropriate timing, boost, vanos, fuel scalars and AFR) there is nothing a meth only no fmic car can do to win the race in the 1/4 or in a hwy roll given everything else the same and both cars are mechanically sound and use the same tranny.
    What would you say would happen if both running is jb4 ISO, but one is running with intercooler and other is running meth no intercooler?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd def be interested in the results of that race for sure.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Same as above BUT the results won't be as obvious..with a flash, whether you stack or not, it becomes more obvious as tuning is way more refined...in fact in vast number of cases meth distribution and gear to gear fueling/octane delivery will be disrupted with meth and i bet the e85 car would win 8/10 times
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast