Close

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    My vote goes to an NA S54 powered e36 for a great track car.
    My old boss has this exact setup. He races in one of the BMW series and loves the setup.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    My old boss has this exact setup. He races in one of the BMW series and loves the setup.
    We just finished one with one of our stage 2 supercharger setups on it. That thing is incredibly fun to drive, but an NA S54 in the e36 is a great combo for a track car that handles well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep in mind you are comparing a relatively matured chassis with the e46m, where most mods and power are well proven and straight forward...With the e9x m and the n54... where you have a chassis that is at the beginning of power potential, and new developments are exciting and interesting. To me, part of the fun of this hobby is the modding itself, the unknown, the constant evolution and excitement of the progress being made.

I thought about your choices in cars and almost sold my 335 but in the end I personally came to the conclusion that the e46 m3 is aging, and by the time I got mine modded right, I may get bored with it or not want a 8-12 year old car. The new e9x m3 would just cost to much to make good power and if I was honest with myself, isn't worth paying double the price of a n54 car.

It helps that my 335 is paid off, and that i never intended on supercharging my e9x m, but I decided to stick with this car and see it through, I think, as DZ has stated, that n54 modding is only at the beginning still and will get a lot more interesting in the next 2 years. Staying interested in a platform is the major driver behind this car modding hobby. Call me crazy but the other options seem kind of boring to me in comparison to the n54.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    My vote goes to an NA S54 powered e36 for a great track car.
    not a bad idea and good to see rms on the forums!
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    If you are honestly looking for something that can drag, track and be streetable; immediately forget the S54. It is inherently too slow, the supercharged ones are a waste of money and the turbo ones aren't worth the money. The n54 is great but I would not use it on a road course... too much can go wrong and the engine inherently has cooling problems. Even though it looks more expensive; the S65 appears to be the proper option for you. You really don't need a 15K supercharger to make the car run well...

Or buy an EVO9 and resolve all the issues at once.
    but then your in a lancer... have you driven a turbo s54 let alone sc'd?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It helps that my 335 is paid off, and that i never intended on supercharging my e9x m, but I decided to stick with this car and see it through, I think, as DZ has stated, that n54 modding is only at the beginning still and will get a lot more interesting in the next 2 years. Staying interested in a platform is the major driver behind this car modding hobby. Call me crazy but the other options seem kind of boring to me in comparison to the n54.
    On the money and exactly why I'm with my N54 still today for my personal car as well! S65 is an icon of an engine given its most likely the last of the N/A V8s but if I were to grab it EVER (unlikely) I'd leave it N/A or imho you'd be missing the point behind getting that car/motor/platform in the first place (i.e. getting it for the awesomeness of a high revving N/A V8 race bred motor).
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 01-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your not going to boost the S65, it fails miserably in comparison to the other cars, just too underpowered..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    not a bad idea and good to see rms on the forums!

but then your in a lancer... have you driven a turbo s54 let alone sc'd?
    u mean the greatest rally car ever and a 2.0L 4 banger that can make 1100 whp??

no, never in a FI S54... neither would be worth the cash

Honestly, I dont think Op is looking for a BMW because none of these suit his needs.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    u mean the greatest rally car ever and a 2.0L 4 banger that can make 1100 whp??

no, never in a FI S54... neither would be worth the cash

Honestly, I dont think Op is looking for a BMW because none of these suit his needs.
    Would love to hear what you think suits my needs. If your answer has 4 clinders and is made in Japan, I just aint interested.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post! I'm totally biased, but I'm with the others that the N54 platform is just beginning to take off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would love to hear what you think suits my needs. If your answer has 4 clinders and is made in Japan, I just aint interested.
    given that u have a limited budget, want a 500 whp car, a great dd and track/drag car... i think you are SOL... low $20s can only take u so far. Buy a used civic and a c5 z06 would be my recommendation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    given that u have a limited budget, want a 500 whp car, a great dd and track/drag car... i think you are SOL... low $20s can only take u so far. Buy a used civic and a c5 z06 would be my recommendation.
    I think I have proven that the N54 and S54 are great value build cars that are exactly what I am looking for. C5 Z06 is actually another decent option. As for the Civic comment, you and I both know you are taking shots which really is not necessary.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think I have proven that the N54 and S54 are great value build cars that are exactly what I am looking for. C5 Z06 is actually another decent option. As for the Civic comment, you and I both know you are taking shots which really is not necessary.

I believe that u said u want a great DD that gets great mpg? i am not here to be a dick just to help... i had a civic as a second car and it was excellent

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe that u said u want a great DD that gets great mpg? i am not here to be a dick just to help... i had a civic as a second car and it was excellent
    I have a DD already, at the start of my post I clearly stated that I am looking for a summer fun car that will see track time. I guess that explains your comments because you actually did not read the post but I guess I could have been more clear.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have a DD already, at the start of my post I clearly stated that I am looking for a summer fun car that will see track time. I guess that explains your comments because you actually did not read the post but I guess I could have been more clear.
    then I believe i've answered your question a long time ago... I was already told I have one of the best answers here

... good night to to you sir

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Great post. I say sacrafice 50whp and go 1m with FBO running e85 for 450whp and puts you right at $60k. Car will have a ton more resale value than any of the others as you will take a bath on resale of the cost of those mods.
    this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Or do what I do and have an E92 n54 daily and motor swap a 70s 240z. Mine is Ford 302 at 2000lbs WET with 275mm tires. You can do the while thing including chassis for 15k and in US you're smog exempt. No M car will hang on a road course with that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    to add the perspective of an australian:

E9x M3: $73-80k
    E82 135i: 40-45k (335i similar money)
    E46 M3: 40-45k slightly higher mileage average than the 135i. lots of ugly gold.

an E9x M3 really isn't a value for money prospect in the least over here... awesome car and sounds great too though of course..

an E36 M3 can be had for ~$15-25k though.

and my project is set to tip about $50k total including mods (m3 bits included).

ED: @rudypoo - my mate has a 260z with an L28.. gearbox crapped itself so he's looking at an RB25 swap, will probably tip the scales at all of $7500 including swap, buying the car, failing at fixing the gearbox etc. lol
    Last edited by Flinchy; 01-12-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

E46 M3: 40-45k slightly higher mileage average than the 135i. lots of ugly gold.

an E9x M3 really isn't a value for money prospect in the least over here... awesome car and sounds great too though of course..

and my project is set to tip about $50k total including mods (m3 bits included).

ED: @rudypoo - my mate has a 260z with an L28.. gearbox crapped itself so he's looking at an RB25 swap, will probably tip the scales at all of $7500 including swap, buying the car, failing at fixing the gearbox etc. lol
    Exactly. Tell him to go to hybridz.org if he hasn't already. That's where I learned to be an engineer lol, seriously though. I started that project at age 15, went to college, and am just pushing to finish it now (I am 24). All that is left before start up is some minor electrical now. I too a long time because of my life situation, but you could do everything I did with garage and a year of time, and I went balls out. A road race build with a bored and stroked L motor would only take 3-4 months if you started with a running car. The cars are so simple and well Engineered, its not hard to do things like on a modern car. You won't have a problem ripping it all apart and putting it back together.
    Last edited by rudypoochris; 01-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    E46 M3 with a s/c stage 2 S62 gets my vote.

Better engine than the S65 with plenty of torque before it builds up boost...
    The S62 is a considerably inferior motor to the S65.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. the feedback on the S54, again I am theorycrafting on it as I have never had seat time in one which I desperately need. IMO, the S65 is the worst of the bunch right now because of cost. That will certainly change over time, but right now its incredibely prohibitive and frankly the power is underwhelming. You can get the same result in the S54 at a fraction of the cost.

Not a huge fan of Japanese 4 bangers, appreciate the comment though.
    Bolt on supercharger, run 10's. Ya that sucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    If your not going to boost the S65, it fails miserably in comparison to the other cars, just too underpowered..
    350 whp stock is not underpowered. And it is a much better motor for road racing than any of the motors mentioned in this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you are honestly looking for something that can drag, track and be streetable; immediately forget the S54. It is inherently too slow, the supercharged ones are a waste of money and the turbo ones aren't worth the money. The n54 is great but I would not use it on a road course... too much can go wrong and the engine inherently has cooling problems. Even though it looks more expensive; the S65 appears to be the proper option for you. You really don't need a 15K supercharger to make the car run well...

Or buy an EVO9 and resolve all the issues at once.
    This post isn't very good.

A supercharged S54 is too slow? Um, what?

Ya that looks super slow: http://www.germanboost.com/content.p...ock-DCT-E92-M3

You can hit over 700 whp on the stock internals as HPF demonstrated. Worth the money to me especially compared to an N54 that has yet to even hit that number. And the S54 is over 1000 whp.

The N54 isn't anywhere near as good as an S54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The S62 is a considerably inferior motor to the S65.
    If you say so....

I repair/build/rebuild S-engines to earn my living with,so what do I know...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Bolt on supercharger, run 10's. Ya that sucks.
    Again when considering cost the S65 is very much in fact the worst of the three options. Sure you can bolt up 20k worth of parts and get to 10s, I only know of 2 or 3 S65s that have done this (I could be wrong here). Thats great, but for the price of the mods alone you can buy a 135i that has about 50,000 km on it. Spend 6k + install and now your up to 500whp that will pull 95% of bolt on, supercharged S65 M3s. Ask Terry and Longboarder how their race went at ShiftSector.

Now that said, I belive you are 100% correct that its the better platform for the road course track. The car itself really just is a gem with its incredible handling characteristics. If I did not constantly want to tinker or add power it would potentially be attractive just leaving it stock. The price tag is still steep and the insurance cost are no treat either.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

Great post, again the same issue with he S65. Great car, great motor, too costly (for now).
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As promised, attached please find the updated chart with the Active Autowerke offerings for the S65 and S54. If the admins could add it to the bottom of the first post as well that would be much appreciated.

Click here to enlarge
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast