Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

need picture and advice

Ok i need a picture of the top of an m54b25 piston! I got tired of searching google for one so this seams easier to me! But im working on a guys e46 and he had a new euro block put in it from turner motorsports and also new factory euro pistons from turner and the shop that put it all together with his stock crank new rod and main bearings! Well he picked the car up and it had a knocking noise so he took it back and they replaced the disum and resealed the vanos and put in a new pcv system and it still knocked! So i got my hands on the car and i replaced the rod bearings again and it took cair of the bottom end tapping and also got a check engine light after that for" knock sensor noise to little" but it still has top end noise so i went in and replaced the lifters and retimed the vanos and it still has a ticking and a camming noise in the top end! So does anyone knoe if you can install the pistons backwards? Or if the m54 american head and headgasket have differant oil ports than the euro and its not getting enough oil pressure to the head

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pixley Click here to enlarge
    Ok i need a picture of the top of an m54b25 piston! I got tired of searching google for one so this seams easier to me! But im working on a guys e46 and he had a new euro block put in it from turner motorsports and also new factory euro pistons from turner and the shop that put it all together with his stock crank new rod and main bearings! Well he picked the car up and it had a knocking noise so he took it back and they replaced the disum and resealed the vanos and put in a new pcv system and it still knocked! So i got my hands on the car and i replaced the rod bearings again and it took cair of the bottom end tapping and also got a check engine light after that for" knock sensor noise to little" but it still has top end noise so i went in and replaced the lifters and retimed the vanos and it still has a ticking and a camming noise in the top end! So does anyone knoe if you can install the pistons backwards? Or if the m54 american head and headgasket have differant oil ports than the euro and its not getting enough oil pressure to the head
    While the M54 has many casting variations of the head and block, I've not found any differences globally on the internals.

I've never actually worked on an M54B25, but here's a picture of an M54B30 piston at TDC:

Click here to enlarge

They are different from the B25 pistons in that they are a slightly lower compression ratio. I don't know exactly how this is achieved, but in the picture above the top of the piston sits 3.7mm below the deck.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the pic and i know the internals work but im wondering since he has an american head on a euro block if a critical oil passage didnt get blocked or or something

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the pic and i know the internals work but im wondering since he has an american head on a euro block if a critical oil passage didnt get blocked or or something
    There's only one oil feed port between the head and the block on all M54s....and there is no real difference between the Euro and US market engines. (Except for the exhaust manifolds)

If there was an oil feed issue, you should see it show up in the lifter bucket bores, and also the cam tray caps. (Scoring)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They were not scored at all cause i did a good exam befor i put everything back together and thanks that the info i needed was if there was any differances in the heads on them since he has an aluminum euro block and a US head

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    They were not scored at all cause i did a good exam befor i put everything back together and thanks that the info i needed was if there was any differances in the heads on them since he has an aluminum euro block and a US head
    Again, there is no deference between engines sold in the Euro zone, and North America. I actually own 2 cylinder heads from Europe, and 3 from North America. Aside from the casting # difference, and the difference in exhaust stud holes....everything else looks the same between them all.

Many people have experienced issues with VANOS that results in a mechanical "rattling" sound. Maybe something to look at....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the assist @PEI330Ci
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its not the vanos iv had it apart and resealed it and retimed to twice just for good measures so i know its not the vanos