Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rainy day so pulled out the fuel box to kick around some ideas. I'd like to get the fuel pressure at the HPFP inlet up from 70psi to 90psi for a test. The best way to do this is probably going to be to replace the factory regulator for a beefier unit. So I took the spare factory one apart to poke around. Here are a couple photos and comments.

1) The factory regulator is spring based and is a tiny POS. It's press fit in to the fuel filter assembly. I cracked part of the assembly trying to pry it out.
    2) The fuel filter assembly seems to be one time use. I can't figure out how to open it up to inspect the filter element. I guess you buy a whole new regulator assembly if you want to replace it?
    3) The feed line after the driver side venturi valve narrows to around 1/4". Won't be an issue for the moment but down the road this will need to be upgraded to 5/16" at least.
    4) I have some ideas for retrofitting the new regulator but will need to order in a assembly as I trashed this one taking it apart to study. Ideally I'd like to take advantage of the 1:1 boost reference and raise pressure from 70psi to 90psi as a function of boost.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Rainy day so pulled out the fuel box to kick around some ideas. I'd like to get the fuel pressure at the HPFP inlet up from 70psi to 90psi for a test. The best way to do this is probably going to be to replace the factory regulator for a beefier unit. So I took the spare factory one apart to poke around. Here are a couple photos and comments.

1) The factory regulator is spring based and is a tiny POS. It's press fit in to the fuel filter assembly. I cracked part of the assembly trying to pry it out.
    2) The fuel filter assembly seems to be one time use. I can't figure out how to open it up to inspect the filter element. I guess you buy a whole new regulator assembly if you want to replace it?
    3) The feed line after the driver side venturi valve narrows to around 1/4". Won't be an issue for the moment but down the road this will need to be upgraded to 5/16" at least.
    4) I have some ideas for retrofitting the new regulator but will need to order in a assembly as I trashed this one taking it apart to study. Ideally I'd like to take advantage of the 1:1 boost reference and raise pressure from 70psi to 90psi as a function of boost.
    T, I was cruising eBay early this week looking for buckets and pumps to send out. You ate correct fuel filter and reg housing are a one time deal. They are not cheap, most of them around 200 bucks. What a stupid design. I didn't want to spend another 200 to just have them pull it apart but I prob have no choice if the the g is that crappy. As always thanks for digging into the unknown!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've used that regulator many times and if it's part# 13109 it's only good to 75psi..

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...ass-regulator/
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what I used for higher fuel pressures:

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ind...regulator.html
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I've used that regulator many times and if it's part# 13109 it's only good to 75psi..

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...ass-regulator/
    If set at 70psi using the 1:1 gain will it go up to 90psi?
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If set at 70psi using the 1:1 gain will it go up to 90psi?
    Yes, if it is hooked up with boost reference..
    I haven't looked at the flow ratings of the walbro at 90psi.. Is volume the same or better between 70-90psi..?
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Yes, if it is hooked up with boost reference..
    I haven't looked at the flow ratings of the walbro at 90psi.. Is volume the same or better between 70-90psi..?
    It drops as expected but for short periods of time should be OK. After we corrected the low pressure drops a new problem with high pressure drops cropped up at higher power levels. So the theory goes maybe the inlet check valve or regulation valve is the limiting factor. #2, #4, and #5 in this chart. Raising the pressure from 72psi up to something higher would force more fuel through that limitation. But I'd rather not run higher pressure full time as it's not going to be good for the pump.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Our new E92 is having a major fuel pressure drop on E50 on the factory pump. So we'll try the cheap booster pump option for kicks.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Ok so got the parallel rig put together and installed. Its honestly pretty straight forward. You have to leave out the stock pump holder, and rotate the stock pump slightly so the venturi nozzle is not in its holder just slightly off to the side. This will allow the Walbro to share the bucket with it, while the venturi still pulls from its original location. Once you do that the Walbro with its sock will fit into the bucket with the stock pump and they actually stay in place very well. Once you get the bucket lid back in place you will see if will not fit now, but all you have to is cut out a small section and it clears both pumps great. If you secure the bucket top with a couple wire ties you are good to go. I just powered both pumps in tandem off the stock plug, if this is an issue and it pops fuses we will have to address it then. Once you get to the lines its just 5/16" fuel line coming off both pump out lets fed around the collapsible leg and coming into a 5/16" Tee. Secure it all with clamps and this will be going to the orange line. I put some extra hose on the orange line to give it a little freedom to move in the tank so not to pinch anything. It all fits back in pretty nice and seems like it should work well. Took a few pics. But not too many. Now we at least hopefully wont have to worry about low fuel pressure once we get stage 3 installed. Cheers
    Tony, I don't see your line to the Venturi. I assume you just left that picture out. Did you tee the Venturi after the tee to merge the two pumps output (opposed to bleeding off of one pump)?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well the inline Walbro did it's job. Full low pressure again. Not bad for $95 and an hour of time. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a pic of the install?
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No we were in a rush and didn't take any. We used an off the shelf fuel filter as a PNP coupler for an experiment. So the setup actually has two fuel filters in it right now as well. Click here to enlarge If it works out well on the dyno and over the next few weeks we'll take it apart and post some step by step directions.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to see you're working on economic solutions. To me I rather get the walbro e85 in parallel, but I could see this as a good alternative for those who want to do 100% e85 on a stock pump that is on its way out. Can't argue with the price. Am I correct in assuming this is the setup you're going to turn the pressure up on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, this budget setup is intended mainly for stock turbo E85 cars. In bench testing it flowed ~37% better than the factory pump alone. Just a simpler and less expensive way to do an inline vs. the FFTEC $600 kit. And if this filter method works out it's 100% PNP as well. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 02-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Did some E50 dyno testing today on the $95 pump. Will post results later tonight. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the work Terry. You've been a great help.
    Change is constant

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345