Close

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    CA Automotive Claiming 60 hp gains on pump gas with their Stage 2 M5/M6 V10 S85 tune?

    Here we have graphs on a dyno dynamics of the Stage 2 tune from CA Automotive. This Dyno is obviously set to read high as they are not making 538 whp, impossible. The dyno is corrected but we have no idea just how high the correction factor is. The gains are claimed on 93 octane but we just don't find these numbers possible without huge correction factors to exaggerate the gains on what is a notoriously low reading dyno.

    Before dyno:

    Click here to enlarge

    After:

    Click here to enlarge

    CA automotive says there are no tricks or exagerrated correction factors here, but clearly, that is exactly what they are doing:

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CA Automotive
    As you can see from the dyno charts, the before and after power runs were carried out on the same day, on the same dyno, within 4 hrs of each other for maximum accuracy, no tricks, exaggerated correction factors or other funny business :-)
    Here is what a modified M5 really looks like on a dyno dynamics, this one with aftermarket exhaust:

    Click here to enlarge

    The gains here are exaggerated and not an accurate representation.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Points
    2,103.5
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    I agree with you sticky! CA always over exagurate their stuff!
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    these are not RWHP they are crank HP plots taken from an independant dyno. However, i think this is a plot from their stage 2 package - pulley, scoops cat back and remap.....if it is then, I can confirm it is much quicker than stock. THere are another couple of cars that have had stage 2 remap, and their dyno plots look good. several UK people are having their cars remapped in the coming weeks and perhaps they will be good enough to post their results.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mbm5 Click here to enlarge
    these are not RWHP they are crank HP plots taken from an independant dyno. However, i think this is a plot from their stage 2 package - pulley, scoops cat back and remap.....if it is then, I can confirm it is much quicker than stock. THere are another couple of cars that have had stage 2 remap, and their dyno plots look good. several UK people are having their cars remapped in the coming weeks and perhaps they will be good enough to post their results.
    Crank hp? So then this dyno dynamics is corrected heavily then, and that exaggerates the gains, does it not?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    507hp and 384tq stock

    Going only by the 1st dyno sheet its either reading low crank power, or very high wheel power stock. Just by the lack of accuracy in the 1st dyno there is no reason to go onto the next dyno sheet. Until there are a few different before and after independent dynos authenticating the effectiveness in a tune we should not get too worked up by a random dyno sheet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    Going only by the 1st dyno sheet its either reading low crank power, or very high wheel power stock. Just by the lack of accuracy in the 1st dyno there is no reason to go onto the next dyno sheet. Until there are a few different before and after independent dynos authenticating the effectiveness in a tune we should not get too worked up by a random dyno sheet.
    EXACTLY, but for some reason M5board members eat this $#@! up like it is gospel.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    289
    Rep Points
    1,038.2
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Mr Sticky,

    check the thread again on M5Board. Not everyone is convinced by the looks of it.

    CA have quite a good reputation in the UK. Sometimes incorrect dyno operation can give the strangest of results.
    Last edited by evolve; 09-24-2010 at 09:13 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Points
    4.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    good day all

    Thought we would chime in to clear up any misunderstandings here.

    Our dyno results show bhp at the Engine, NOT at the wheels, hence the confusion; once you take this into account the figures stack up correctly.

    Whilst 476 bhp is a little on the low side for stock crank output, it is not uncommon. What matters is the gain.

    To re confirm, we have used an independant dyno, and the figures have not been messed with in any way.

    We are happy to carry out this work at any independant dyno a customer may wish, thereby eliminating any doubts at all :-)

    many thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CA AUTOMOTIVE Click here to enlarge
    good day all

    Thought we would chime in to clear up any misunderstandings here.

    Our dyno results show bhp at the Engine, NOT at the wheels, hence the confusion; once you take this into account the figures stack up correctly.

    Whilst 476 bhp is a little on the low side for stock crank output, it is not uncommon. What matters is the gain.

    To re confirm, we have used an independant dyno, and the figures have not been messed with in any way.

    We are happy to carry out this work at any independant dyno a customer may wish, thereby eliminating any doubts at all :-)

    many thanks
    Thanks! Good to know, It makes much more sense now

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CA AUTOMOTIVE Click here to enlarge
    good day all

    Thought we would chime in to clear up any misunderstandings here.

    Our dyno results show bhp at the Engine, NOT at the wheels, hence the confusion; once you take this into account the figures stack up correctly.

    Whilst 476 bhp is a little on the low side for stock crank output, it is not uncommon. What matters is the gain.

    To re confirm, we have used an independant dyno, and the figures have not been messed with in any way.

    We are happy to carry out this work at any independant dyno a customer may wish, thereby eliminating any doubts at all :-)

    many thanks
    I still have question if you please.

    So this was an independent chasis dyno that was taken in by a customer or that CA Automotive took in on behalf of a customer?
    What drivetrain loss did the dyno use to compute the crank power?
    Why is the torque so low, below stock even after the tune(370 tuned vs 384 stock)?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    289
    Rep Points
    1,038.2
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    The dyno graph shows that Shoot 8 was used.

    Therefore approx 20% drivetrain loss is applied.

    Wheel Power would have been around 387hp before and 441hp after.

    Torque is calculated based on RPM, if the calibration is wrong then the torque figure will be wrong as the dyno measure HP and then converts the torque.

    However, the initial graph is only revving to 8000rpm or it's badly calibrated.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CA AUTOMOTIVE Click here to enlarge
    good day all

    Thought we would chime in to clear up any misunderstandings here.

    Our dyno results show bhp at the Engine, NOT at the wheels, hence the confusion; once you take this into account the figures stack up correctly.

    Whilst 476 bhp is a little on the low side for stock crank output, it is not uncommon. What matters is the gain.

    To re confirm, we have used an independant dyno, and the figures have not been messed with in any way.

    We are happy to carry out this work at any independant dyno a customer may wish, thereby eliminating any doubts at all :-)

    many thanks
    You claimed in your original post that no corrections were used. However, by using BHP the dyno dynamics was heavily corrected. Perhaps in the future posting the correction factor would show far more accurate results in comparison to other tuners?

    The reason being, crank dynos exaggerate the gains making it appear that you gain more HP. Which I am sure you know, which is why the dyno was heavily corrected to BHP to begin with. A way to avoid reading low for crank would be to simply run it at the wheels, or, in shootout mode to prevent any messing with correction factors.

    What matters is the gain just as you stated, but giving the complete picture is also important if the procedure is to be taken as valid. Allowing customers to dyno your software independently is a nice gesture and the right step to alleviate any doubt.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    289
    Rep Points
    1,038.2
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You claimed in your original post that no corrections were used. However, by using BHP the dyno dynamics was heavily corrected. Perhaps in the future posting the correction factor would show far more accurate results in comparison to other tuners?

    The reason being, crank dynos exaggerate the gains making it appear that you gain more HP. Which I am sure you know, which is why the dyno was heavily corrected to BHP to begin with. A way to avoid reading low for crank would be to simply run it at the wheels, or, in shootout mode to prevent any messing with correction factors.

    What matters is the gain just as you stated, but giving the complete picture is also important if the procedure is to be taken as valid. Allowing customers to dyno your software independently is a nice gesture and the right step to alleviate any doubt.
    Sticky,

    On a dyno dynamics machine there is no correction factor going from wheel to crank figures but rather a outright simple multiplier based on the shootout mode chosen.
    So, if a car makes say 400 wheel horsepower and the shoot out mode of shoot8 (used on 8 cyl or above engine) is used then the dyno simply uses a factor of 1.2 (20%) which is added to the wheel horsepower accross the entire recorded rpm band.

    Correction factor is something entirely different.
    Correction factors are applied to the wheel horsepower figures first and then the shootout mode transmission loss factor is added to that.

    Typically correction factors hover from around 0.98-1.02% and these are calculated from barometric pressure, relative humidity and air temperature.

    One very good thing about shootout mode is that is fixes the ramp rate and all but one correction factor is then locked which is inlet air temperature.
    It also displays the conditions which make up the correction factor on every graph.

    From what I can see of many of the graphs generated in the US is that no one shows the variables which make up the correction factor and you cannot determine if the car was run with the same ramp rate on a before/after comparison test. I am not implying that foul play is occuring but you just have no idea at all of what's going on.

    So, it doesn't matter if you look at wheel or crank figures. The correction factors are applied to both and the only different between the two are the conversion factor.

    I can show examples of this.

    I get the feeling the people are under the assumption that wheel figures are completely raw and have no correction factors applied to them. Correct me if I am wrong.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    On a dyno dynamics machine there is no correction factor going from wheel to crank figures but rather a outright simple multiplier based on the shootout mode chosen.
    Absolutely correct, but the point is to read like BHP it has to a heavier correction factor. This was left out of the original post which stating correction factors were not used to prop up the figures. Clearly, everyone involved is now admitting they were. The multiplier itself is the correction factor we are talking about here.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    One very good thing about shootout mode is that is fixes the ramp rate and all but one correction factor is then locked which is inlet air temperature.
    It also displays the conditions which make up the correction factor on every graph.
    Exactly, so why was it not used?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    I get the feeling the people are under the assumption that wheel figures are completely raw and have no correction factors applied to them. Correct me if I am wrong.
    No, not at all. The main thing is, when people see dynos, they are expecting wheel hp numbers. So with the multiplier used here it makes it seem as if the software is putting out much more HP than the competition which it isn't. The average person won't even understand this and simply look at the peak numbers. I think this is why it was done. Multipliers on the dyno dynamics are used for the lower wheel figures as well. Frankly, I would like to see everyone using a dyno dynamics disclose their multiplier (correction factor) used or utilize shootout mode which will keep the numbers in the same frame of reference for all operators. I believe this is why the company included the feature in the first place.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CA AUTOMOTIVE Click here to enlarge
    Whilst 476 bhp is a little on the low side for stock crank output, it is not uncommon. What matters is the gain.
    I saw this then I saw Sticky refer to it again and I would like to throw my 2 cents in. The more important factor is the final numbers not the gain!
    The gain is only the difference between stock and tuned. But many people forget there is a difference in the stock tune unit to unit. Not all 2010 m5 will dyno the same. If a tuner just happens to tune an m5 that dynos low, does it mean they can get that same difference out of all there tunes? In this case can CA Auto get 60 bhp out of a m5 that dynos 510bhp stock? I believe they would be able to get another 30 out of it not 60.

    We saw this a lot with the gt500. Some stock gt500 dyno at 440 rwhp(DJ). Other stock gt500 dyno at 480rwhp(DJ) However after tuning(regardless of tuner) their rear wheel horsepower were all around 520.
    Tuner A: 440 to 520 ~ 80hp difference
    Tuner B: 480 to 520 ~ 40hp difference

    In the example with the GT500's one tuner is not better than the other in terms of power, the only difference is the point at which they started.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    I saw this then I saw Sticky refer to it again and I would like to throw my 2 cents in. The more important factor is the final numbers not the gain!
    The gain is only the difference between stock and tuned. But many people forget there is a difference in the stock tune unit to unit. Not all 2010 m5 will dyno the same. If a tuner just happens to tune an m5 that dynos low, does it mean they can get that same difference out of all there tunes? In this case can CA Auto get 60 bhp out of a m5 that dynos 510bhp stock? I believe they would be able to get another 30 out of it not 60.
    A combination of factors matters, but we need to see the delta and the end result. I see what you are saying, you can gain more on a car that put out less to begin with, that can certainly happen. If so, tuners might be encouraged to seek out cars that are "weaker" to begin with.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ca Automotive
    no tricks, exaggerated correction factors or other funny business :-)
    Clearly, an exaggerated multiplier was used since we are being told to look at this form a BHP perspective. I'm not doubting they are getting gains, but this is the exact reason we prefer showing the gains to the wheels and honestly, a dynojet just simplifies things. Dyno dynamics are great dynos but we see so much multiplier manipulation that it is just ridiculous. This may not even be their fault, whomever runs this dyno may run a large multiplier. Either way, independent results are always appreciated to substantiate.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    It seems here in the original thread there is some discussion regarding dyno operator error on the first graph? Not exactly sure what this is referring to.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    289
    Rep Points
    1,038.2
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    I will put some work into allowing people to understand dyno read outs a little more.

    What is certain is that there is absolutely no standardisation especially in the US. In the UK atleast we all use flywheel calculation and all use the same gears and shoot out mode. The only variable then becomes the operator and how he straps the car between runs. This is easily caught out.

    Will be back later and will correspond with Sticky and get something written up.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    Will be back later and will correspond with Sticky and get something written up.
    I think that is a pretty nice gesture.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    Will be back later and will correspond with Sticky and get something written up.
    I think that is a pretty nice gesture.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    289
    Rep Points
    1,038.2
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    No worries.

    Can you please send me your contact details so we can start with this.

    I did some stuff for the UK forums and it's educated people so much that the majority now know how to read a dyno gaph properly, they don't just concentrate on 'peak' figures, they can sniff out foul play quickly and ask good relevant questions.

    I would like to have the overall car modding enthusiast community to know everything about a dyno possible + more about what actually goes on with the tuning side of things so we can make everything transparent. There is so much to cover but if we do it in a structured way it will be invaluable for the world wide community. At the moment we do have info but it's scattered and in many cases very vague.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Points
    2,103.5
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    No worries.

    Can you please send me your contact details so we can start with this.

    I did some stuff for the UK forums and it's educated people so much that the majority now know how to read a dyno gaph properly, they don't just concentrate on 'peak' figures, they can sniff out foul play quickly and ask good relevant questions.

    I would like to have the overall car modding enthusiast community to know everything about a dyno possible + more about what actually goes on with the tuning side of things so we can make everything transparent. There is so much to cover but if we do it in a structured way it will be invaluable for the world wide community. At the moment we do have info but it's scattered and in many cases very vague.
    Thats great. will be waiting for this.
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,817
    Rep Points
    31,802.7
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    Can you please send me your contact details so we can start with this.
    administrator@bimmerboost.com

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •