Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

COBB: An emissions testing Odyssey

Well Two weeks ago, i went for emissions testing, and Failed. Cobb stage 2+ aggressive, BMS DP fix. Now I cleared the codes right before testing, so it didn't pass because obviously none of my monitors were set. The code that bothered me was 2AAF. So after driving the car for a while, and doing the BMW drive cycle, I went back for a second retest, and failed again due to two monitors still not being ready. I did the drive cycle several more times, but could not get the cat monitor to come on with cobb stage 2, which it seems blocks this monitor.

I finally flashed the car to stage 0, which resets all monitors, then did the drive cycle one more time. Finally, all monitors showed, except for the evap system (which is probably being blocked by code 2AAF). The then went back for the test and passed the third time, thankfully, with 2AAF, and the code for the open exhaust flap (both not showing as dtc's) Hopefully this helps folks in this same situtuation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, any stage 2 or 2+ map will prevent the DME from completing the drive cycle sequence. That's how it keeps the CEL from being triggered.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cobb stage 2 or 2+ will not allow your O2 sensors to pass readiness test. Just flash back to stock stock, stage 1 or 1+ and leave the O2 sim an and you should be good to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the play-by-play.

I didn't know what the "BMW Drive Cycle" was, so I googled it. FWIW...

Click here to enlarge

(FTP - Federal Test Procedure)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post^. Repped
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the play-by-play.

I didn't know what the "BMW Drive Cycle" was, so I googled it. FWIW...

Click here to enlarge

(FTP - Federal Test Procedure)
    Thats such a PITA. I don't even know where I could do that cycle. Doesn't the FTP complete itself over time anyway?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It stops the cycle when you get over 3000RPM or drive faster than 60mph and starts when you cold start for the next time!

see attachment: BMW FTP72 Drive Cycle Procedure.pdf
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    It stops the cycle when you get over 3000RPM or drive faster than 60mph and starts when you cold start for the next time!

see attachment: BMW FTP72 Drive Cycle Procedure.pdf
    That's the source. Thanks for uploading.

Yeah it could definitely get obnoxious trying to follow the procedure to the letter. Don't know what kind of leeway you get or what an "equivalent" cycle may be, or if the DME even pays attention to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was gonna say, isn't it best to uninstall the COBB & have just the DP Fix if you want to make sure it's dialed in properly
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys the drive cycle isn't that hard to follow. The hardest part is finding a street to do the 3 mins of 20-30 mph. You can drive around a bit in between the segments, as long as you don't use erratic throttle movements, and come to a gentle stop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Was gonna say, isn't it best to uninstall the COBB & have just the DP Fix if you want to make sure it's dialed in properly

No, Stage 0 is sufficient.

Turkey, you have my cell, should have hit me up before you went to the testing station. I could have saved you some time and frustration.

Do you have INPA working?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Guys the drive cycle isn't that hard to follow. The hardest part is finding a street to do the 3 mins of 20-30 mph. You can drive around a bit in between the segments, as long as you don't use erratic throttle movements, and come to a gentle stop.
    I guess what I am wondering is why do you need to do the drive cycle? Does the computer not learn over time? Is the drive cycle just a quicker way of passing the emissions portion? I am concerned with the 15 mins at 40-60. No clue where to do that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    No, Stage 0 is sufficient.

Turkey, you have my cell, should have hit me up before you went to the testing station. I could have saved you some time and frustration.

Do you have INPA working?
    No, I don't have INPA, I used the other device. I don't think INPA shows you the evap monitor, which I'm sure won't come on for most of us, because of 2AAF.

Anyways it's done, now, so on the Limited Slip Differential install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I guess what I am wondering is why do you need to do the drive cycle? Does the computer not learn over time? Is the drive cycle just a quicker way of passing the emissions portion? I am concerned with the 15 mins at 40-60. No clue where to do that.
    The drive cycle is what the dealership does after clearing codes for a car that needs to do inspections. It's a sure fire way to make sure all the monitors are set, without the customer driving 200 miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    No, I don't have INPA, I used the other device. I don't think INPA shows you the evap monitor, which I'm sure won't come on for most of us, because of 2AAF.

Anyways it's done, now, so on the Limited Slip Differential install.

Click here to enlarge INPA shows you everything. I am glad you have it sorted out. As for the LSD install: I have a BMW master tech who does work on the side. If this is not something you are interested, then I recommend VS Motorsports. They do excellent work.

STAY AWAY from A&L! Do NOT listen to what the majority of people are saying on the Chicagoland chat threads. I am doing LSD in the spring and VS will be installing it for me along with bushings, sway bar and toe arms.

EDIT: I never got the 2AAF code. My evap has always been spot on...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge

The modern day ECUs have built in test procedures which allows them to verify the functionality of the hardware. Every time you change maps with Cobb, you reset all ECU adaptations. This forces the ECU to perform all of it's checks again. This is a good thing. You want that!

The drive cycle is just a method which allows the ECU to perform all of its necessary checks on the hardware for the shortest amount of time and distance. It's designed so that problems can be spotted quickly. This is very useful for dealerships and mechanics.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We enabled readiness with Cobb if you have atr or atp i can show you how to do it with bms dp fix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just open EDIT-> Advanced Parameters and enable these two checks and it should let the OBD2 check complete and pass with a DP fix

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    We enabled readiness with Cobb if you have atr or atp i can show you how to do it with bms dp fix.
    If you have a DP Fix installed, is it going to affect the STFT/LTFTs?? Wouldn't mind sparing myself the uninstall later this year after I pass inspection
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge INPA shows you everything. I am glad you have it sorted out. As for the LSD install: I have a BMW master tech who does work on the side. If this is not something you are interested, then I recommend VS Motorsports. They do excellent work.

STAY AWAY from A&L! Do NOT listen to what the majority of people are saying on the Chicagoland chat threads. I am doing LSD in the spring and VS will be installing it for me along with bushings, sway bar and toe arms.

EDIT: I never got the 2AAF code. My evap has always been spot on...
    I'm very familiar with VSmotorsports, I met all the guys in person at road america last year. They even worked on my car at the track. They do not do the work in house. They take your diff out, and then send it to diffsonline. I found a place locally that's doing it all in house in one day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm very familiar with VSmotorsports, I met all the guys in person at road america last year. They even worked on my car at the track. They do not do the work in house. They take your diff out, and then send it to diffsonline. I found a place locally that's doing it all in house in one day.

I am ordering the entire diff housing aka "the pumpkin", so its a straight bolt-on for me. I have welded diff so its easier to order the entire housing.

Good luck with the install.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've had 2 close friends have horrible experiences with VS Motorsports... They wont be touching my car...
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On an emissions note some states have a two time not ready waiver. I had a friend with a POS suzuki forenza and it would not show ready after two attempts a week and 400 miles apart they signed it off for another year they said it wasn't real common but some cars won't go ready.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    I've had 2 close friends have horrible experiences with VS Motorsports... They wont be touching my car...
    Really?! Do share, over PM if you'd like.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge