Thread: Cooling Mist meth woes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Cooling Mist meth woes

I bought my kit back in March 2012,

I've had to replace 3 FSB , 1 solenoid, 1 pump, and now my 2 month old pump is making the same "spun bearing" like noise

Currently, the FSB will not activate the pump/solenoid, and will only activate if I bypass the unit and connect directly to the positive battery terminal. This has been a month-long saga which I thought was "fixed," but
    after I got it to work again, I decided against using it since the temps got colder. Now today, I switch to map 6, FUB=1 (previously I had FUB=3 to disable methanol on all maps), no meth flow? Today, I did some troubleshooting, purged the fluid using the positive battery terminal only to be greeted with this noise from the pump http://db.tt/jfO5ygN8

Terry@BMS has been great with providing warranty replacements and support so far, no worries there
    Click here to enlarge But has anyone else have this issue?
    Loe P.
    - E90 LCI M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

2. #ADS

Sticky is offline Regular User

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1435 Post(s)

I'm not trying to talk down on Cooling Mist or anything but when I hear meth kits woes it's almost automatically going to be a Cooling Mist post. That said, service seems to be good and they stand by their product. I have not purchased it so I can't say but it sucks you are having the issues you are and you shouldn't be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

oh yes, David @ Coolingmist has been great to work with as well for warranty replacements, he'll definitely go above and beyond of explaining every single little part in the kit with extensive detail.

That said, with the problems so far, either the kit or my car's electrical system, I'll either be getting rid of this kit once warranty expires next year and go back to COBB and go to PFT for an E50 map or keep the JB4 ISO, run E50, and supplement it with a BMS flash to run a more aggressive mix if desired. Ethanol looks to be my short-term future instead of methanol injection.
    Loe P.
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I dont recall having many problems with mine. only issue was the lines way back. I would think if your going through fsb's, then your wiring is off. If your going through pumps, i dont know what to tell you as im on the same as from 2009. Im not saying those parts are not defective, but when 1 "kit" goes through multiple issues, same over and over, something is causing it

bigdnno98 is offline Building a 10sec DSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

It really sounds like electrical issues with your car. I have only heard of a couple instances of this where FSBs kept blowing and even more rare that pumps fail. Either way it's going to be difficult and costly to find the problem so you may just want to go e85 and drop the meth just to save money in the long run.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Ammonia is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I've had the same pump and pretty much the same lines/hardware in my CM trunk-mounted from 2010. No issues thus far. Like others said, it might be a wiring issue?
    Click here to enlarge
    JB4-G5/FBO/Meth/VMR 701s/Lots of fun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Obviously check wiring, but also the voltage you are tapping into. Just a thought.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm definitely not ruling out the electrical system. It's coincidence that my issues popped up after I swapped to a g5 board 2 1/2 months ago so maybe I triggered something but never caught it when I did the ISO Mod.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Have you pulled the tune out to check the install? Have you put a voltmeter on the wiring to check for correct V? I could see something awry friying an FSB but not a pump in the sense of something being awry under the hood. Well, is your pump in the trunk or under the hood? It's very interesting and not surprising that you've gotten great support from Terry and CM. Both have amazing customer service and are testaments to how businesses should be run.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm definitely not ruling out the electrical system. It's coincidence that my issues popped up after I swapped to a g5 board 2 1/2 months ago so maybe I triggered something but never caught it when I did the ISO Mod.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The same Aquatec pumps are used in all meth kits. I think they provide a year warranty on them, just email CM and they can probably replace it for you.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

chrisisnapping is offline Chalupa Batman

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

only been running the kit (note just pump, solenoid, boost trigger...come on Terry, you know you want to do a JB for this car so I can have some good meth integration Click here to enlarge) with no problems. On the GTI forums maybe 2 or 3 people had solenoid issues, however CM has been great with making things right.

I should note a few people had issues with blown fuses and some solenoid issues that were related to wiring and using improper gauge wire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Have you pulled the tune out to check the install? Have you put a voltmeter on the wiring to check for correct V? I could see something awry friying an FSB but not a pump in the sense of something being awry under the hood. Well, is your pump in the trunk or under the hood? It's very interesting and not surprising that you've gotten great support from Terry and CM. Both have amazing customer service and are testaments to how businesses should be run.
    In less than 16hrs of emailing Terry my issue's last night and coordinating with David @ CM, I got a tracking # for a new pump. That's dedication on both ends!

I'm still running a WW system (yeah I know!), my pump and solenoid is located behind the foglight housing on the bumper support, is gravity fed from the WW tank, and is always cool to the touch because of the incoming rush if outside air.

i'll have to double check my G5 re-install, the only thing I did during that install was just unplug the DB9 (I think thats what it's called) from the G4 and plugged it into the G5, then weeks later after ISO was introduced, unplugged it, opened up the box to cut the diodes, and plugged it back into the DB9.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Sorry OP sounds like a real PITA
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Sorry OP sounds like a real PITA
    are you still selling that FMIC?
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    are you still selling that FMIC?
    sorry its sold, i can still order you one if you want. takes about 2 weeks
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)

As long as you're putting a new pump in I would switch it over to a 2.2g trunk tank or similar. Much more reliable in terms of flow than a WW setup especially one tapped where it can't be purged easily on the road.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    As long as you're putting a new pump in I would switch it over to a 2.2g trunk tank or similar. Much more reliable in terms of flow than a WW setup especially one tapped where it can't be purged easily on the road.
    or a 1 gallon tank bolted onto the emergency tool compartment, they are dirt cheap and function perfectly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been having meth issues for awhile, whereby flow is now below 60% and therefore doesn't activate properly. Pump is gravity fed and I'm running it with the JB4+FSB.

I got my kit from BMS in Feb 2012 - it has a CM DDP5800 pump. I was thinking of changing out the pump and solenoid. There has been any updates to the pumps or are they selling the same ones? There seems to be an update to the solenoid for sure though. Based on the comments above, should I consider another brand?

any advice would be appreciated, as I miss my meth!

Sticky is offline Regular User

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1435 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ramjet Click here to enlarge
    There has been any updates to the pumps or are they selling the same ones? There seems to be an update to the solenoid for sure though. Based on the comments above, should I consider another brand?
    @Terry@BMS
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)

Still running a WW meth kit. Lets hope you have full coverage for fire, its not a matter of if, just a matter of when. I would focus on getting the tank in the proper place so you don't burn your car down, then troubleshoot your problems.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
    N54 OEM - Stage 2 Batch 2 available!
    N55 Stage 1 - 2 upgrade available!
    Stage 3 production kits almost here!
    Shotgun HPFP upgrade pre-order now!
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 558WHP
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    N54 (96-98 octane, no meth) World Record,
    Stock Motor: 673WHP / 564WTQ
    N54 (ERC 109 unleaded octane and meth) World Record, Stock Motor:
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I don't know about pump updates but there was def a solenoid update. I still stand behind the BMS/CM 2.2 GAL meth kit. I've installed at least a dozen and, while there have been intermittent issues, most were either install (loose wire or something small) or user error (wrong settings in JB4 interface) all still work solidly today.

I've been having meth issues for awhile, whereby flow is now below 60% and therefore doesn't activate properly. Pump is gravity fed and I'm running it with the JB4+FSB.

I got my kit from BMS in Feb 2012 - it has a CM DDP5800 pump. I was thinking of changing out the pump and solenoid. There has been any updates to the pumps or are they selling the same ones? There seems to be an update to the solenoid for sure though. Based on the comments above, should I consider another brand?

Click here to enlarge

ChuckD05 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

my first pump crapped out and didnt flow right... new pump solved issue and is still mint 1-2 years later..

also 100000% move to trunk, thats anyone with a meth kit... SAFETY alone is well worth the thirty minutes of your time and 100 for the biggest tank... and i dont even need to purge the kit anymore , it litteraly just works as soon as its filled without ever having a hiccup, ever.

I just ran my line along side the fuel lines underneath, up behind the metal shield, very simple
    2009 FBO RB'd mtech e92 6AT - 11.3@126
    2008 FBO CR e82 6M - 12.0@120 - Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    my first pump crapped out and didnt flow right... new pump solved issue and is still mint 1-2 years later..

also 100000% move to trunk, thats anyone with a meth kit... SAFETY alone is well worth the thirty minutes of your time and 100 for the biggest tank... and i dont even need to purge the kit anymore , it litteraly just works as soon as its filled without ever having a hiccup, ever.

I just ran my line along side the fuel lines underneath, up behind the metal shield, very simple
    Yep, I moved away from the WW tank some time ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lol, I am still using the same DevilsOwn pump from 2009, only parts that need replacing were the nozzle holders and solenoid. I must've had a Monday pump.