Close

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No

    Heater Fan Problem

    2007 335i E92

    Today while driving, I noticed that my heater fan was acting up. As I speed up or slow down the heater fan would slow down and not blow as hard, then all of a sudden start up blowing normally again. This would also happen on some slight bumps in the road also. I also noticed that when I turn the fan setting to the 4th block that is the highest the fan will go. If i turn it up higher, the fan does not blow any harder.

    Has anyone ran into this problem or have an idea of what is wrong? I have the JB4 USB running through the fire wall, and was wondering would that cord ever get into the way of the heater fan?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Anyone have any idea what this could be?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,949
    Rep Points
    2,882.2
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Yes Reputation No
    Dynamic heater range, one of BMW's most exciting new features. As you drive faster, the heater will account for thermal losses.

    JK, i have nothing to add, but good luck.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,639
    Rep Points
    2,166.9
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Dynamic heater range, one of BMW's most exciting new features. As you drive faster, the heater will account for thermal losses.

    JK, i have nothing to add, but good luck.
    I lol'd

    I don't think the area the USB cable runs through is near the heater fan.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

    2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    After driving around awhile I noticed that this would happen when I slow down to a stop when the rpm would reach close to idle. The fan would slow down or stutter then speed right back up to normal. Even when I sit in park and rev it up, when the rpm's drop to idle the fan slows down then goes back to normal. Doesn't happen if I'm anywhere above idle. Now I'm really stumped on what this could be?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I lol'd

    I don't think the area the USB cable runs through is near the heater fan.
    Just thought that since it's running through the firewall and I tend to pull it around so I can connect it to my laptop on the driver side, that it could possibly touch the fan or stop it's rotation. Not sure where that fan is exactly located so it was just a guess, since the diy to replace the heater blower says something about doing it on the passenger side.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    376
    Rep Points
    707.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sounds liie the fan motor is either getting old and having issues or possibly your alternator might not be putting out enough juice around idle (14.5V).

    Hard to say which it is without testing. Given the fan tends to not blow hard part #4 on fan speed while driving, it seems more likely its the fan motor or regulator electrical parts.

    I have a 2011 so my car may be different but the diagram for the 07 makes it appear the fan is somewhere near the passenger footwell/glovebox area. Fan motor is $160 from tischer and seems to come with regulator from description: http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=1942100

    No guaranty its the correct part/fix but gives you an idea vs stealership rape.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Sounds liie the fan motor is either getting old and having issues or possibly your alternator might not be putting out enough juice around idle (14.5V).

    Hard to say which it is without testing. Given the fan tends to not blow hard part #4 on fan speed while driving, it seems more likely its the fan motor or regulator electrical parts.

    I have a 2011 so my car may be different but the diagram for the 07 makes it appear the fan is somewhere near the passenger footwell/glovebox area. Fan motor is $160 from tischer and seems to come with regulator from description: http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=1942100

    No guaranty its the correct part/fix but gives you an idea vs stealership rape.
    I was toying with the fuse for the blower while in the garage today and and about 30 sec with the radio still on and engine off the low battery icon came on in the dash. Do you think that my battery is dying and can cause this problem? My car is a 2007 with the original battery. For a 2007 I only have 29k miles, so most of my drives are short trips with the car often parked for days. I really haven't had a problem with my battery, but maybe this can be the problem?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    376
    Rep Points
    707.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I was toying with the fuse for the blower while in the garage today and and about 30 sec with the radio still on and engine off the low battery icon came on in the dash. Do you think that my battery is dying and can cause this problem? My car is a 2007 with the original battery. For a 2007 I only have 29k miles, so most of my drives are short trips with the car often parked for days. I really haven't had a problem with my battery, but maybe this can be the problem?
    I would absolutely change the battery. I've heard of some strange things happening on BMWs with battery concerns but, more importantly, where you live and the time of year/temp, it's just a very good idea to replace it. Batteries output less juice at low temps which is why they usually fail and leave you stranded in the winter vs other months.

    Batteries rarely last longer than 7 years in CT so I don't think you're giving up much replacing it sooner even if it's not the actual cause of the problem.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •