Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Passenger side motor mount change

Has anyone DIY'd their right side engine mount? I've got the 335is version to fit on my car and the 16mm nut which is under the turbos seems impossible to get to.

My car is RHD so the steering column passes over the top of the mount making it even more difficult to get to it. I'm thinking of just dropping the subframe from the rear a few inches to improve access as I'm not too keen on removing the downpipes. The other option I can think off is removing the steering shaft from the rack and swinging the rack out of the way. I've just replaced the tie rods on both sides so the car will need alignment anyway.

I've put a new OEM mount on the other side which was really easy to do with the charge pipe removed.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I haven't, but let's get you help from people who have had these motors out.

@dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks
    @ar design

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Either lower the subframe a bit or get the steering rack out of the way first, its easier so i'd start there first..
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 01-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

When I installed the downpipes on my xDrive I lowered the subframe first an then took out the engine mount.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Many thanks guys, I'll drop the subframe down on Sunday and should hopefully be able to remove the mount. I've already got the front underbrace off so it should only be 6 bolts to lower the subframe and 2 for the steering rack. Fingers crossed the steering column shaft doesn't get in the way.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Idk about RHD but in my case it was not necessary to remove the steering rack.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Unfortunately the shaft passes an inch or two over the top of the engine mount. For the other side I had to use a large bar to shift the nut so I think I might need the extra space to put a proper socket on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Managed to get the motor mount changed this morning. I dropped the subframe about 2-3 inches and that gave me plenty of space to get the nut on top of the mount out. The only difficult part was maneuvering the mount in and out of place but managed it in the end.

Thanks to all who helped