Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

It could be from the 110 load values but I doubt it. Have not had any reports from other Xi users. If it was related to the load target you'd get the same code every time all the time. If it's easy to recreate though test the pre-flatline flash map that ran ~130 load to see if it makes any difference.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 01-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    It appears this is an xi-related issue with the bms flash. Afaik I don't have this problem. I'll romp on it a bit in 2nd gear tonigjt and see if I can replicate it on my RWD car.
    Yeah just xi related. Not too many xi's pushing a lot of power so this maybe something to look at as a failure point on the xi models. Im going to take it easier on some of these colder winter days since I think the shock of tq is what caused the transmission malfunction in my opinion...but I am by no means an expert.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

This only happened once and was unable to replicate it today. Only variable was the the 15 degree F temp the day it happened for me and today its in the mid 20's outside.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Fwiw, @ERM324 popped two front diffs on his 335xi years ago. They're not exactly built to support big hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have also xDrive(COBB, downpipes and IC as well, no JB for that matter) and I never got any error code during driving.
    The only error code stored related to gearbox or transfercase is when I flash a new map. But INPA will tell also when the error occured( timestamp, mileage and which speed you were going).

So every code stored with RPM's of 0 or speed with 0 you can simply dismiss.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

*Sorry in advance for the book, just wanted to put in my .02 for those unfamiliar with my adventures with my 335xi.

I think I've run the most power on the 335xi platform, having run a .042 jet for a few months. I did run full boost in 1st gear, but no nitrous, and 2nd gear was full boost + full nitrous coming on at 3500 rpm. I did get the trans fail safe a few times in 2nd gear going WOT, never could seem to find the conditions to recreate it though. The failsafe mode for me was the trans code on the instrument cluster, and then going to 3rd gear (which feels like a reduced power mode if you're going slower).

I found out from my Indy a few weeks ago that my front diff is shot and needs rebuilt, and this is 1yr after a trans rebuild from launching in 2nd gear (no no on the 335xi, burnt up clutch packs). So what I've learned here is that the 335xi is NOT suitable for higher power levels when doing any kind of launching (IMO) and it's no good for roll racing because of the drivetrain losses (best 60-130 was a low 9.x). For anyone that has a 335xi, I recommend you think seriously about putting big coin into it. I wanted to get as close as I could to 500awhp/550awtq on nitrous to see if it was worth the trouble and money of doing RBs or a Single Turbo on my car. I found out where the limit was and I'm glad I spent the $350 on the nitrous setup instead of the several thousand for upgraded single or twins. I still think that the previous FBO cars (pre E-85) that were doing 380-400awhp and < 450awtq is close to the practical limit for long life on the 335xi.

As I think back, I can't even begin to explain what a rush 0-60 in 3 seconds was, I used to launch the car all the time just to get that pit-of-my-stomach rush like on a roller coaster. I recently went to Vegas and drove a 2012 911 Turbo S on a track, it's quicker in the 1/4 mile but had very similar power at the launch. On the vbox my car was neck and neck with the Turbo S until 70-80mph where the 335xi falls on it's face. If I ever find the money I would love to have that car to recreate the fun I had in the 335xi. Also had some fun in the 2012 GTR, but it has always felt too big for my tastes. Since I'm not rich I'll likely have to wait for the 997 to come down in price, so it's going to be a blown C6 LS3 for me in the meantime. (mid 9s for < $40k is the goal, so far it's looking good)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    *Sorry in advance for the book, just wanted to put in my .02 for those unfamiliar with my adventures with my 335xi.

I think I've run the most power on the 335xi platform, having run a .042 jet for a few months. I did run full boost in 1st gear, but no nitrous, and 2nd gear was full boost + full nitrous coming on at 3500 rpm. I did get the trans fail safe a few times in 2nd gear going WOT, never could seem to find the conditions to recreate it though. The failsafe mode for me was the trans code on the instrument cluster, and then going to 3rd gear (which feels like a reduced power mode if you're going slower).

I found out from my Indy a few weeks ago that my front diff is shot and needs rebuilt, and this is 1yr after a trans rebuild from launching in 2nd gear (no no on the 335xi, burnt up clutch packs). So what I've learned here is that the 335xi is NOT suitable for higher power levels when doing any kind of launching (IMO) and it's no good for roll racing because of the drivetrain losses (best 60-130 was a low 9.x). For anyone that has a 335xi, I recommend you think seriously about putting big coin into it. I wanted to get as close as I could to 500awhp/550awtq on nitrous to see if it was worth the trouble and money of doing RBs or a Single Turbo on my car. I found out where the limit was and I'm glad I spent the $350 on the nitrous setup instead of the several thousand for upgraded single or twins. I still think that the previous FBO cars (pre E-85) that were doing 380-400awhp and < 450awtq is close to the practical limit for long life on the 335xi.

As I think back, I can't even begin to explain what a rush 0-60 in 3 seconds was, I used to launch the car all the time just to get that pit-of-my-stomach rush like on a roller coaster. I recently went to Vegas and drove a 2012 911 Turbo S on a track, it's quicker in the 1/4 mile but had very similar power at the launch. On the vbox my car was neck and neck with the Turbo S until 70-80mph where the 335xi falls on it's face. If I ever find the money I would love to have that car to recreate the fun I had in the 335xi. Also had some fun in the 2012 GTR, but it has always felt too big for my tastes. Since I'm not rich I'll likely have to wait for the 997 to come down in price, so it's going to be a blown C6 LS3 for me in the meantime. (mid 9s for < $40k is the goal, so far it's looking good)
    I understand parts break when dealing with big horsepower. I get the frustration that enthusiasts get because their cars end up being money pits. Funny that your looking at a blown C6 LS3 because I just sold my 01 Trans am with an LQ9 motor stroked to a 408 with a procharger supercharger running high 9s low 10s in the quarter. The vette will be fun if you go that route.

In the end whether it be a BMW or any other car its pay to play.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

How many drag launches do you have and what technique did you use for launching?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    I understand parts break when dealing with big horsepower. I get the frustration that enthusiasts get because their cars end up being money pits. Funny that your looking at a blown C6 LS3 because I just sold my 01 Trans am with an LQ9 motor stroked to a 408 with a procharger supercharger running high 9s low 10s in the quarter. The vette will be fun if you go that route.

In the end whether it be a BMW or any other car its pay to play.
    I don't mind parts breaking, the frustration was more in the lack of strong aftermarket parts to support the power. Maybe in time vendors will make parts for the 335xi AWD powertrain, similar to the Audi's, but I didn't want to wait Click here to enlarge

There are a few LS3's out there now doing high 9s to low 10s, over 140mph and they are on stock bottom end with nothing but drag radials/supercharger/meth injection/upgraded fuel system. Now that those '08 LS3s are $28-32k (+$10k for mods) it's making more sense to me to keep the 335xi as a DD and get the 'vette to satisfy my need for speed Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How many drag launches do you have and what technique did you use for launching?
    I had counted them up for someone else some months back, but it was over 300 hard launches with ~100 at high boost + meth. The car is amazing if you get it right, I had a logged 2.9s to 60 on the vbox, and a record 60' of 1.57 which was spinning all 4 through 1st gear. I had the nitrous on before Terry had the flash fueling fix or the upgraded pump option, and the nitrous was leaning things out too much even with two meth jets. I ended up giving up after a few weeks of trying, didn't want to blow the motor with the AFR spikes and even when it did run clean for 60-100 and 100-130 passes it was somewhat disappointing given what you can do in a 335i with similar power. The drivetrain loss on the 335xi is a real $#@! and robs the car of power when it hits 3rd gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I don't mind parts breaking, the frustration was more in the lack of strong aftermarket parts to support the power. Maybe in time vendors will make parts for the 335xi AWD powertrain, similar to the Audi's, but I didn't want to wait Click here to enlarge

There are a few LS3's out there now doing high 9s to low 10s, over 140mph and they are on stock bottom end with nothing but drag radials/supercharger/meth injection/upgraded fuel system. Now that those '08 LS3s are $28-32k (+$10k for mods) it's making more sense to me to keep the 335xi as a DD and get the 'vette to satisfy my need for speed Click here to enlarge
    I wish I kept my trans am its just so easy now with the LS motors. Its gone now and I told myself that I wouldnt mod this car as its my DD also but I have been bitten by the bug once again. Im hoping the aftermarket picks up for xi models or Ill have to stop modding and by LSx motor car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Did you brake boost on those launches ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Did you brake boost on those launches ?
    Every time, not sure if I would ever bother to do a launch without it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Did you have any wheel hop on launches, and what type susp. were you running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Every time, not sure if I would ever bother to do a launch without it Click here to enlarge
    When could you tell that the transfer case broke? Any drivetrain noise and how often were you throwing the transmission malfunction? Trying to find out how much borrowed time I have before I need to replace my transfer case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    Here is what I got from the Screenshots:

55C3:
    xDrive Limp-Mode activated
    unplausible Signal or Signal over threshold

Seems to be some connection issue to a DSC Sensor according to google

found a Thread in e90 post for that: AWD Malfunction
    But the User there had more errors + mechanical failure.

CF4B:
    Signal or value over threshold

btw.
    Can you do some real screenshots?
    on the first picture it says 3 error codes. But in the pictures I found only 2
    Thank you very much for translating this!!
    I already cleared the codes so that is all the info I have.
    Guess I will increase the boost back and see if I can get the error codes again and report back
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Thank you very much for the input and it's great to find other guys making good power on XI models..!!
    SInce the BMS flash is available, are you getting this and going to use nitrous for more fun when needed..? Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@boosted-M

sure thing. If something else comes up. Feel free to write an email or PM me.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Did you have any wheel hop on launches, and what type susp. were you running?
    Wheel hop was really bad when the track prep was good, on my car I was told to avoid sticky prep as wheel spin would keep me from breaking the drivetrain parts. This was coming from talking with Level 10 and a shop that does beefed up transfer cases on the X5 and X6 models.

When could you tell that the transfer case broke? Any drivetrain noise and how often were you throwing the transmission malfunction? Trying to find out how much borrowed time I have before I need to replace my transfer case.
    I haven't had issues with my transfer case, just the front diff and transmission. On the trans you'll have rough shifts and under full power it will start to hit 3rd gear protection mode as it slips. On the diff I just had a lot of noise and I'm guessing it was some of the teeth in the gears had been ground down and were getting chewed up in the fluid.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Thank you very much for the input and it's great to find other guys making good power on XI models..!!
    SInce the BMS flash is available, are you getting this and going to use nitrous for more fun when needed..? Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    I'm retiring the 335xi as far as big power goes, for now I run a JB+ on it and that's good for mid 12s @ 108-109mph. Not bad for a year round DD Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Wheel hop was really bad when the track prep was good, on my car I was told to avoid sticky prep as wheel spin would keep me from breaking the drivetrain parts. This was coming from talking with Level 10 and a shop that does beefed up transfer cases on the X5 and X6 models.

Amclint thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck with the next car you mod.

I haven't had issues with my transfer case, just the front diff and transmission. On the trans you'll have rough shifts and under full power it will start to hit 3rd gear protection mode as it slips. On the diff I just had a lot of noise and I'm guessing it was some of the teeth in the gears had been ground down and were getting chewed up in the fluid.

I'm retiring the 335xi as far as big power goes, for now I run a JB+ on it and that's good for mid 12s @ 108-109mph. Not bad for a year round DD Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck on the next car you mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I have a strong feeling its TCU related. We've done a number of 6MT XI cars some with RBs and none of them ever had any issues. I can only wish we get into the TCUs sooner rather than later and reflash one or more of its tables.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I have a strong feeling its TCU related. We've done a number of 6MT XI cars some with RBs and none of them ever had any issues. I can only wish we get into the TCUs sooner rather than later and reflash one or more of its tables.
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great info, thanks. Could you answer couple more questions? What suspension were you using, and did you do any chassis bracing or diff lock down? I have xi AT also and wanted to go with either RB's or stage 2 Vargas (waiting to see how they come out). Do not anticipate any drag racing tho.

I know the wheel hops destroys REAR diffs and other pieces like half shafts (and maybe front diffs too) but could you guess as to whether tranny problems are related that or something else? For a long time folks thought the TC was weak on these cars but that turns out not to be true apparently. Have read up on the Level 10 stuff and just not sure anyone knows yet what exactly is going wrong with the tranny under load. Until a reflash of the TCU is available I guess we''l have to wait.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Great info, thanks. Could you answer couple more questions? What suspension were you using, and did you do any chassis bracing or diff lock down? I have xi AT also and wanted to go with either RB's or stage 2 Vargas (waiting to see how they come out). Do not anticipate any drag racing tho.

I know the wheel hops destroys REAR diffs and other pieces like half shafts (and maybe front diffs too) but could you guess as to whether tranny problems are related that or something else? For a long time folks thought the TC was weak on these cars but that turns out not to be true apparently. Have read up on the Level 10 stuff and just not sure anyone knows yet what exactly is going wrong with the tranny under load. Until a reflash of the TCU is available I guess we''l have to wait.
    Nothing was done to the suspension, just the stock squishy setup and it did do pretty good with weight transfer to the rear. A good launch was 1.6x with a handful in the high 1.5x range. For the power there isn't much more I could have done to get a better 60', so I never bothered with suspension changes or stickier rubber. I will say if you don't plan to drag race it much, you have a lot less to worry about.

Wheel hop destroys whatever is weakest between the engine and the rubber, the shock or slippage and then regaining grip is very difficult for the drivetrain to handle. Driveshaft, half-shafts, rear ends, front diff are all possible breakage points, but the transfer case shouldn't ever have issues from wheelhop and I wouldn't think the trans would either.

I spoke at length with a Level 10 tech, I can't remember his name unfortunately but he was a wealth of information. He recommended not doing the upgrade right off, and told me I'd be better off breaking something and then having it rebuilt to find the weak spot. I did just that, but had no resources to get the car back to their shop and never could find a local shop I trusted to do the rebuild with the Level 10 kit.

Level 10 has some basic changes they can make to the TCU, not shift points or anything like that but they tweak the software to take advantage of their upgraded valve body. If you get the Mr Flash done by them, and the upgraded valve body with a higher stall torque converter you can launch in 1st gear much more consistently and the clutch packs will last longer as the higher pressure will allow better engagement on the shifts (my opinion from how what limited understanding I have of the ZF trans).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I never could get much info out of Level 10 about what their Mr Flash does, it's not full access to the TCU but somehow they are changing some things as they did make some changes to LM's car. I don't know enough about trans programming to know what's possible so I probably couldn't ask the right questions to glean the info from them Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast