Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Initial Impressions:

First I have to elaborate on my experience with Rick himself. EXTREMELY professional man. I was only slightly hesitant to be dropping off an expensive and precision instrument to a person I do not know, for a short, but undetermined amount of time. He's local, but not really, I couldn't just drop in after work if I chose. I recorded mileage/fuel/mpg, etc, and inspected my car for any defects prior to bringing it to him.

He was very straightforward and honest/open about what he was going to do, and how it would happen. He told me he was going to keep me informed of any progress or setbacks along the way.. A MAJOR understatement. The following day I realized he was not kidding when I received 4-5 page text messages, and basically everyday after that. Not to mention the update/progress pictures along the way.

I would say within 48 hours he had some things made up already. Whats key to note, and credit to his honesty mixed with OCD, is that my car had an issue. An issue that I was only slightly aware of. (You may remember me saying that after the track day I heard a "whirring" sound coming from the rear) He informed me that he noticed the sound on the pre-inspection test drive, this is when I told him about the possible issue, I thought it was the axle.

When he drained the diff oil, he noticed the pieces metal shaving. This is why the project took as long as it did. I was evaluating my options as to diff repair or replacement. Given the circumstances, I settled on repair. As it turns out, Rick@DEFIV can do all the required work. Problem, is that BMW does not sell everything required to repair it. I had to outsource. That actually failed as the parts that arrived were incorrect, but he was able to salvage part #s off original and get the proper stuff ordered.

This is all concurrent with him fabbing up the actual kit and driveshaft loop.

Once the parts were in hand, he repaired my diff and continued along his contracted work. While re-installing, he noticed the wiring of my cutouts was not favorable, and opted to take it upon himself to re-route properly Click here to enlarge

And to conclude my observations of Rick, I have to tell you that my communication with him was way, waaay above par. He fixed things I didn't know needed to be fixed, educated me on some other aspects.I also noticed that there were no defects or conflicts with my pre-drop-off inspection. Mileage was exactly what he told me (pre/post drive) interior had not been abused/disregarded, etc. Showed me my old worn and abused parts, the Unicorn piss/oil BMW uses with the shavings in it.

Hell, the guy even washed and waxed my car for my pick up!

To the good stuff:
    From the second I picked the car up, and began the trip home, I noticed that the car felt different. I couldnt place why, but it just felt more solid. Being freezing temperatures, I didnt push the limits of traction just yet. During city commute and highway driving I came to realize that the car handled like it should. PREDICTABLE. The rear end went where you wanted it to go and it let you know what it was doing.

THE BEST thing I found out. was that the bit of sloppyness in the DCT was GONE. Some of you may remember me and M&M talking about perfect shift points, and if you grab the next gear at the right RPM, the car lunges forward.. Well.. thats every time now. That could be an overstatement,it doesnt lunge at moderate speed, but when driving at moderate speeds, the DCT shifts and grabs perfectly, I dont feel any lag or delay that I used, and is found in every DCT Ive ever driven, Its now spot on, grabs and engages.

When driving at a more aggressive level, the car lunges now, just as it should. Basically what it did was allow the transmission to do what it does best, better, and repeatedly.

I see these all as side benefits of the original intent of the kit, but it is worth it to me in that regard alone.

As we are in freezing temperatures, and I have a higher HP output than most, and PS2's on the rear, you can imagine that my biggest obstacle right now is traction. I tested this theory yesterday afternoon at 50mph/3rd gear and confirmed that The rear will just spin once past 6500RPM. Not exactly the review your waiting to read about yet. What I did notice, is once again, as someone intimately familiar with racing this car from a roll and the tires spinning, is that it is all controllable. Another welcomed side-effect. PREDICTABILITY. No more do I fear the car going one way when I would think another. I know where its telling me its going, and I can adjust/correct accordingly.

The car feels like it should now.

NVH:
    easy, none.

I wanted to wait a few until I had ample time to test wheelhop, but again, circumstances are not conducive right now, but the weekend is here and I should find time to prove what I already know...That we have an answer.
    Knowing my affection to recording Everything Auto-related that I can, you can expect Some video to back up my claims. (still waiting on GoPro 3 Black to arrive Click here to enlarge )

I should have more incite in the next 2 days or so when I can complete my testing
    Very nice review and I'm convinced to order but I need to gear how it does with launching and wheel hop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    No website plans as of yet(although i do get pressured by friends/clients frequently), operate by word of mouth and by appointment only, that's enough to keep me plenty busy. Big fan of operating within my means....and yes, right in Bucks county just outside of Doylestown itself. One rural road off of rt 611Click here to enlarge
    I should develop something where you can host your company page here with what parts you offer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very nice review and I'm convinced to order but I need to ear how it does with launching and wheel hop.
    I'm helping at the family's Deli today, but sun is out. If I stop home I can probably grab a camera get a few launches during deliveries Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm helping at the family's Deli today
    A Deli huh? Cool, assuming it has good sandwiches?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A Deli huh? Cool, assuming it has good sandwiches?
    The best! I limit how often I work as every day in there requires an extra hour or so in the gym.. Constantly eating.. and the bacon! oooohhh!!! the bacon! The best Ive ever had, or that can be had by anyone..

So, the gopro3 is here, charging it now. It seems something I overlooked was that it takes a MICRO SD card.. need to source one before I can put it to work

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm a fan of bacon.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm a fan of bacon.
    EVERYONE is a fan of bacon, whether they are allowed to eat it or not.. and this bacon, is truly the best

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where is the deli? One thing i love about nj is our local deli's. I lived in Md for 3 years and it's almost impossible to find good, local deli's.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes more details about this deli and this special bacon it has.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its in Williamstown, not local to you anymore Bob.. If your ever in the area again, ill hook it up Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ill see if I can borrow @akh23456 s drags for a few days. but I dont think weather will be getting better any time soon.

and yea, she sounds pretty good Click here to enlarge
    Let me know soon ill take them off and have em ready for you.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its in Williamstown, not local to you anymore Bob.. If your ever in the area again, ill hook it up Click here to enlarge
    Nice, I'll take you up on that!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best! I limit how often I work as every day in there requires an extra hour or so in the gym.. Constantly eating.. and the bacon! oooohhh!!! the bacon! The best Ive ever had, or that can be had by anyone..

So, the gopro3 is here, charging it now. It seems something I overlooked was that it takes a MICRO SD card.. need to source one before I can put it to work
    Make sure you pick up a class 10/UHS-1 or better, i grabbed a sandisk 64 gig off amazon for $49 shipped.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Make sure you pick up a class 10/UHS-1 or better, i grabbed a sandisk 64 gig off amazon for $49 shipped.
    yea, im having issues with it. seems the consensus is NOT the SD card though, as multiple people are having issues with it. Mine is decent right now but took me about 6 hours to get it to work properly and pair with wifi accessories.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    Let me know soon ill take them off and have em ready for you.
    no rush. I know you have plans Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea, im having issues with it. seems the consensus is NOT the SD card though, as multiple people are having issues with it. Mine is decent right now but took me about 6 hours to get it to work properly and pair with wifi accessories.
    There is tons of issues with it locking up and becoming unresponsive. General consensus is that after charging it, remove the battery and re install it and it usually works pretty good. That and the wifi kills the battery, but that's to be expected i suppose.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well, i have the 2 and 3 paired with the same remote, waiting on a wifi backpac for the hero1. i figure redundancy is good just in case until they get their $#@! figured out.

AS for the defab kit, today would have been perfect, but the boss had other jobs for me to attend to. I hear decent weather is coming, so ill hook it up

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What a great thread! I am fairly new to all this differential stuff and how it all works mechanically.

Very cool modification to say the least! I can't wait to hear more updates from @LostMarine

.....so about that bacon...how far is the deli from Manhattan?!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    What a great thread! I am fairly new to all this differential stuff and how it all works mechanically.

Very cool modification to say the least! I can't wait to hear more updates from @LostMarine

.....so about that bacon...how far is the deli from Manhattan?!
    Let me know if you go to AC, its only a few minutes off the expressway Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP glad to see your're happy with the kit
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love to see you guys spending your time and hard earned money on traction and not hero dyno sheets!

Any track time coming up @LostMarine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AS for the defab kit, today would have been perfect, but the boss had other jobs for me to attend to. I hear decent weather is coming, so ill hook it up
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Any track time coming up LostMarine?
    News is saying 50s this week Click here to enlarge But Atco isn't open; guess it's time for some Mexico testing
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    News is saying 50s this week Click here to enlarge But Atco isn't open; guess it's time for some Mexico testing

as soon as i can

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rick, any plans for an E46 M3 kit?
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Rick, any plans for an E46 M3 kit?
    If it's necessary, any E46 i've driven hasn't displayed any hop,however they were lightly modded.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @LostMarine Any video yet Click here to enlarge?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast